• This topic has 256 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)
  • Le Tour 2017 – Speculation, predictions, spoilers, etc.
  • eddie11
    Free Member

Not sure where froome is this year at all. so little racing.

I do predict Contador to finish nowhere but animate the whole race.

chickenman

Northern. Sometimes confused with Unemployed

I can understand most peoples accents, Doric, Geordie, Scouse, Cockney; just not them!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

eddie11 – Member
    Not sure where froome is this year at all. so little racing.

We’ll see on Sunday…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t you wish Thomas had the luxury of hiding behind closed doors training in his own lunchtime, whilst Froomidge did all the hard work out on the race course, the classics, the monuments and the Giro too ??

I do.

greentricky
    Free Member

Doumalin must of changed his mind and he wasn’t supposed to be doing the tour.

Can’t look past Froome but do think Quintana was riding himself into form so should hopefully put a fight.

Would be nice to see G break out and Porte do something but he was in such good form at the start of the season, wouldn’t be surprised if he will of lost it.

Would be nice to see Bardet, Chaves and Yates bro’s do well and can’t believe people want to see Valverde and Contador gone! Will be much more boring without them. Valverde looked in great form as well earlier in the season.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

and can’t believe people want to see Valverde and Contador gone!

I suspect that might be their drug habits in the past.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I suspect that might be their drug habits in the past.

greentricky
    Free Member

Meh, they’re just old aren’t they, they’re like slightly bigoted grand parents, you just have to accept things were different back then. People moan about Froome and riders riding to numbers, you don’t get that with the Spanish doping duo, they love to ride on feel and makes for exciting racing.

Aru is back for the tour as well isn’t he?

kennyp
    Free Member

Hard to see past Froome, but hopefully Porte will make a race of it. My outside bet would be Bardet. He is improving all the time and has looked not bad so far this season.

Difficult to know about Quintana. Was he really ill at the Giro was was that his default excuse mechanism kicking in.

Nibbles and Bertie are too old now. Would like to see Bertie go out in style at the Vuelta rather than struggle in the Tour.

Could be a good year for Yates, especially if his brother recovers from the Giro and rides as his main support.

As for G, I still think his future lies in the one day Classics, but Sky and himself obviously want to try out over three weeks, and to be fair they know far, far more than any of us about his potential.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Aru, in the Tour ?

Good, I want to see him give his all like a few years ago. I like him, I think he’s got a lot of class.

kamenev
    Free Member

What is all this talk of Adam Yates also riding the TDF? Simon was only quite late on switched to TDF (having originally been down to ride with Adam at the Giro) following ongoing concerns around Chaves’ fitness after his injury.

From what I have read Orica Scott plan to race all three in the Vuelta?

legend
    Free Member

I thought it was all 3 in the Tour (before Chaves injury at least)? Just had a look on Cycling Weekly and it does indeed now look like Simon + Chaves at the Tour. Dunno what the Vuelta plan is now though

ransos
    Free Member

I’m another who’s not sure what more Froome can reasonably be expected to attempt.

Riding without looking like a bag full of spanners?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me where all the Quintana hate is coming from? I quite like him, but I know I’m biased (Colombian wife).

beej

People moan about Froome and riders riding to numbers, you don’t get that with the Spanish doping duo

You do, but they ride to Hematocrit rather than power.

nbt

attacking during DuMoulin’s poo stop didn;t win him a lot of admirers. I did like him before but he’s certainly gone down in my estimation

scaredypants

where all the Quintana hate is coming from?

He’s not very media-friendly 🙄
    His riding isn’t as explosive as some think it could/should be 🙄
    He rides for Movistar, who’ve some dodgy riders and a reputation for unsporting behaviour (not the only ones for either, but mud sticks) 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Riding without looking like a bag full of spanners?

I thought the consensus was “an octopus falling out of a tree”.

akira

nope it’s like a daddy long legs getting into a hot bath.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

according to my rather overpriced, yet free sock edition of the TdF guide, neither of the Yates brothers are riding the tour?

Bunnyhop

If G can stay on his bike, then hopefully he could get a podium place.
    Another favourite is Sagan. An entertaining, talented rider.

slowoldman

G’s problem is he will be riding for someone else, as will Landa unless he gets excused boots to do the Vuelta.

stevious

Haters:

Froome – he’s an exciting rider at times but his team always end up throttling the race in the mountains in order to defend his lead. I think he ends up shouldering the blame for the dull racing that ensues. He also looks funny on a bike, but I like seeing the ‘legs of fury’ he does when he accelerates, personally.

Quintana – Doesn’t do many (any?) English language interviews and looks unflappable when racing so he appears to be a bit of a personality vacuum – I suspect he’s more shy than aloof. He’s a fairly conservative racer as well, often profiting from other’s attacks rather than animating the race himself.

There’s almost certainly a bit of tall poppy syndrome with them both too, with them being proven talents on well-funded teams. It just feels a bit more exciting when a plucky youngster comes along to challenge them, isn’t it?

Klunk
    Free Member

attacking during DuMoulin’s poo stop didn;t win him a lot of admirers. I did like him before but he’s certainly gone down in my estimation

I enjoyed his gutsy ride up alpe d’huez very nearly cracking Froome, but some of Moviestars antics have certainly put a blot in his copybook

fifeandy
    Free Member

as will Landa unless he gets excused

Not really expecting Landa at the TDF myself, they’ve plenty of other strong climbers and he can realistically have a strong go at the vuelta.

Froome
    Thomas
    Poels
    Henao
    Nieve
    Lopez
    Kwiatkowski
    Stannard
    Rowe

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I would love Contadour to win again this year , he’s the most exciting of the GC contenders by far . Always prepared to attack to try and win rather than hold on to what he’s got . Crashed the other year and rode on to the finish of the stage with a broken leg , how can you not like him ? ( I think I know the answer to that question ) .

Painey
    Free Member

Crashed the other year and rode on to the finish of the stage with a broken leg , how can you not like him

No he didn’t, he gave up a few miles down the road. Impressive nonetheless but he didn’t finish the stage. Couldn’t have had steak for breakfast that day…

dragon
    Free Member

Why does anyone think Porte will do well, he always does a Teejay.

Porte has great tendency to loose time in the daftest of places. If he is going to get on the podium he needs to right much nearer the front, be attentive, and have a bit of luck.

Bunnyhop

Ah, I thought there were 8 per team this year, not 9.

nbt

That was the plan of ASO who own the Tour De France, but it’s been put on hold so still 9 riders this year

slowoldman

Why does anyone think Porte will do well, he always does a Teejay.

He did look very strong in the Romandie but of course that’s not 3 weeks. Then again, is it just me or does the tour not look quite as climby this year?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Porte doesn’t always do a TJ. TJ usually runs out of legs, Porte usually runs into bad luck – punctures, errant camera motorbikes, inappropriately helpful riders on other teams, team leaders going AWOL and having to cuff the leadership despite illness etc.

dragon
    Free Member

Just excuses. TJ and Porte track records at the TDF are remarkably similar. In fact if anything TJ’s is slightly better and he is 3 years younger.

Sorry I just don’t get the Porte love in, he completely under delivers for all the hype.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sorry I just don’t get the Porte love in, he completely under delivers for all the hype.

Decent result in the Dauphine TT today. Still to be convinced he can win over 3 weeks though.

Good result for Valverde too. More headaches at Movistar!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Good result for Valverde too

Obviously, he’s not had an off day for 3 years.
    Not sure what brand of energy drink he uses, but I need some!

mrblobby
    Free Member

On similar lines, see De Gendt has got into a spot of bother over his use of a hypoxic altitude tent.

Tricky one. Says he gets to spend more time with his family at home and it’s just less of a hassle than going to altitude. But then so is taking EPO. Not explicitly banned by WADA but “probably contrary to the spirit of sport” apparently.

Superficial
    Free Member

On similar lines, see De Gendt has got into a spot of bother over his use of a hypoxic altitude tent.

That’s an interesting excuse for being caught with a high haematocrit…

But the “spirit of the sport” is basically doing as much as you can within the rules. Failing that, as much you can without getting caught.

slowoldman

I thought these were pretty much accepted in sport.

Ritchie looking good today.

nbt

Oh dear. L’Equipe is reporting rumours that Froome is looking to leave Sky and has offered his services to BMC for £5m/yr

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Article/En-plein-doute-christopher-froome-a-des-envies-d-ailleurs/808523

Certainly links well with the showing that TJvG made, he may have got a stage win in the Giro but is he a genuine Grand Tour contender? I’m by no means an expert but he’s never impressed me

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 257 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour 2017 – Speculation, predictions, spoilers, etc.’ is closed to new replies.