• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ski.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LBS's in the Midlands, help me spend my money
  • lunge

Right then, I have decided to buy a new road bike, I have about £1k to spend and whilst I know I can get a better spec on the internet I want the back up of a shop.

However, I have limited experiences with road bikes and so will understandably not be parting with my cash without at least sitting on a few and in an ideal word getting a test ride. I am 6’4″ and need a big size which is making this a challenge.

So LBS people of the midlands, can you help???? I suspect I need a frame that is 61″ or 63″, certainly the 58″ specialized one I sat on was too small.

Houns

Go to Fred Williams in Wolves. Best shop around for Roadie stuff

imp999
    Free Member

Place up Gosford street in Coventry gets good reports from the roadies I know.
    Cov Cycle Centre.

lunge

Houns, Fred does not have the sizes in and will not get one unless I pay a deposit. I’m not parting with any cash until I have sat on it. A catch-22.

postierich
    Free Member

Try Cycleshack Cannock way they do demos on road bikes!

clunker

Lunge,

Off topic slightly I have a Brian Rourke Road Bike thats hardly been used.

Based Nr Stafford

lunge

Bumped for the morning.

Thanks for the offer clunker but that is not quite what I am looking for.

LMT
    Free Member

RedKite in Shirley, Solihull are pretty good, nice friendly service. Last time i was in there had a good selection of road bikes and as roadies themselves should offer good advice.

MrTall
    Free Member

It’ll always be difficult to find a shop with a 63cm road bike in stock unless you get lucky in Evans or Cycle Surgery in central Brum.

I just sold my 63cm Trek (and replaced it with a 66cm Canyon) which is a pity as i’m Brum based and you could have tried it for size.

My LBS (Speeds in Bromsgrove) are pretty good but are unlikely to have a 61/63 in stock although Ross, the chap who runs it is your height so should know what will fit you and he’s a roady as well.

Failing that, i work in Stourbridge and there are 2 decent shops, RaceCo in the centre and Two Wheels just outside who may be able/willing to get you a demo in if you ask nicely.

aP
    Free Member

I’d suggest trying Two Wheels in Amblecote as well – they may not have the most elegant shop, or the most obsequious shop staff but they know their stuff. If they can help you they will.

camerone
    Free Member

another nod for 2 wheels in Amblecote.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Bridgtown Cycles Cannock? Usually really helpful. Might be worth giving them a call

lunge

MrTall, aP, Two Wheels and Race Co are my closest shops and are both very helpful on most things I ask for, unfortuntley neither have a big frame in stock and either will get one without a deposit being paid.

MrTall
    Free Member

Lunge,

Just spoke with Speeds and they only have a 58cm in stock so no good to you.

Ross did say you’d be welcome to try his bike (a 61cm Enigma i think) to get an idea of fit if it would be of any help to you.

rOcKeTdOg

Just out of the midlands but try cheltenham cycles, you’ll get good unbiased advice there, worth the trip ime

Houns

What’s that Roadie shop near Worcester? Name escapes me at the moment

Speshpaul

Give Dave Mellor in Shrewsbury a call. 01743 366662
    Both Dave and his off spring are on the tall side, so they should be able to get you set up

lunge

MrTall, thanks for that, I will try and get over there at the weekend.

weeble
    Free Member

2nd shout for Bridgtown…..

Stoner
    Free Member

Try Echelon in Pershore, Worcs
    http://www.echelon-cycles.co.uk/echelon.html

Not too dissimilar to the Planet X offerings, but you can get in there for measure up and speak to the gaffer.

budgierider67

Have you tried Birmingham City Cycles on Bristol Street near the city centre?
    They are very roady orientated. Also Cult Racing in Earlswood.

scruff
    Free Member

Swinnertons in Fenton often have big roads bikes in, the owner (Paul) is tall. 01782 747782

OR

Mammoth near Stafford, they do roady bikes. 01785 664555

StuF

There’s Lutterworth cycle centre – they seem ok in there, currently go a sale on.

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

+1 for Freds, or Dave’s cycles in Aldridge.

I’ve never used cycleshack but have heard good things.

ski
    Free Member

Worcester Cycle Centre

Echelon – Pershore

Back On Track – Malvern

cheltenham cycles

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘LBS's in the Midlands, help me spend my money’ is closed to new replies.