Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • LBS vs chain – employee's perspective
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve worked in 4 separate lbs for a total of 10 years in the last 25. I’ve just started working in a “chain” and thought I’d share my experience relating to this debate.

Previously I’d been a chain hater, but I have to say the folk I work with are as knowledgable and motivated (if not more) than many of those I’ve worked with previously. It’s a well managed and positive team, I think the customers get just as good service, and better value on products.

Our customers seem more like regular people who ride than “enthusiasts” and I wonder if it’s just cool among enthusiasts to hate chains. It seems a little hypocritical to me though, I mean how many of these people never[/i] shop in supermarkets?

As an aside, employee benefits are better & the boss isn’t grumpy & unmotivated!

scotroutes

Wot a big sook!

cynic-al
    Free Member

🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

Already learning how to climb the corporate pole Al? 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt I’ll be there in a year TBH.

scotroutes

So – we only have to wait 12 months for a truly independent assessment?

rattrap
    Free Member

As an aside, employee benefits are better & the boss isn’t grumpy & unmotivated!

I’ll bet you’re even able to take things like holiday when it suits you rather than him 😀

Good to hear you’re a lot happier, got to be good for the soul.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah cos I was so biased about my last employer 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

I use chains, of course it depends who they employ

iainc

Halfords ? 😀

hh45
    Free Member

Its a free world and I always use the LBS. Mine cant be beat on price, service, knowledge or attitude.

househusband

‘Evans to Betsy it’s refreshing to see this – quite a coop to hear about Edinburgh bike shops like this…

BigJohn

Kgs v belt drive?

tpbiker
    Free Member

which shop Al? I use Ed bike coop and whilst it appears to get a bad rep here, I find it great. Much better than some of the LBSs I’ve been in.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure that people hate chains as a whole, just particular Evans stores.
    And I wouldn’t consider Halfords as a bike shop, it’s like thinking of Homebase as a florist.

dannybgoode

One of my friends works for EBC and I can only speak for my local branch but all the staff there are proper riders and really know their stuff. The mechanics are first class too.

It is they that kindly let me tag along with them on one of their after work rides (5 of them were out including the manager) and they were happy to wait for considerable periods of time whilst this fat sweating lump hauled himself up the hills and tippy-toed down them like some overweight, uncoordinated bambi on a bike!

Conversely the staff at one of the LBS’s are not friendly at all. Went it to buy some (quite expensive) forks and the kid serving me couldn’t have been less interested in me being there if he had tried – nearly walked out.

Agree with RocketDog – its all down to the staff and how they are trained and managed…

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘LBS vs chain – employee's perspective’ is closed to new replies.