Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)
  • LBS .. not doing themselves any favours!
  • b45her
    Free Member

STW’er outraged by trifleing little issue shocker!!! 🙄

dabble
    Free Member

oh, another “shocker” headline. I agree with kevevs.

nealglover
    Free Member

STW’er outraged by trifleing little issue shocker!!!

Yeah, why do people get so annoyed when they get charged for stuff that wasn’t done ?

Oh, no, hang on, it’s actually pretty obvious why isn’t it 🙄

(If you disagree, please send me £45 via PayPal gift, I just mowed your lawn and painted your front door, they still look the same, but I did do them. Honest)

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lol at nealglover, do these muppets really need it breaking down…

Obviously they do. Bless em 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Where’s my £45 !!!!

I’m not doing this fake work for bloody charity you know.

It took me bloody ages to pretend to mow your lawn and paint your front door. And you haven’t even got the decency to pay me for not doing it.

Some people !

Northwind

To everyone who’s saying “honest mistake”, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell…

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Smell_it +1
    You mean to say if you work in a LBS you actually have to do something to get your monthly pay packet…
    The injustice of it!!

convert

Whilst I have some sympathy for the OP, if I was the shop owner I’d be a little peeved at being asked to do the spannering on a bunch of new components bought elsewhere. If you are too cack-handed to do the work yourself you should be prepared to pay a little more (in this case for the new hub and spokes) and buy them at the shop that is getting you out of a self inflicted hole to allow them to make a living wage. Or learn to do the work yourself.

If the LBS of the country could form themselves a little union and collectively only work on internet bought components after payment of an “internet levy” or after the major online chains paid them a retainer, the riders on this country would quickly become better mechanics or learn the value of a local service.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Convert if he didn’t want to do the job he should have simply said no.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

convert stop trolling its way too obvious

as funky said besides they were charging labour which I am sure earnt net profit for the shop

convert

Probably should have- if they all did collectively it might make us (the buying public) rethink our choices. I’m not saying we should just hand over our cash unthinkingly but imo buying all the components to do the job elsewhere from an online retailer but without the wherewithal to do the job yourself and then to take them to a place that sells the very same products is a bit cheeky.

This does not give the shop owner/ wheelbuilder carte-blanche to rip you off but maybe goes a little way to understand why they might want to.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If the LBS of the country could form themselves a little union and collectively only work on internet bought components after payment of an “internet levy” or after the major online chains paid them a retainer, the riders on this country would quickly become better mechanics or learn the value of a local service.

Survival if the fittest. Isn’t it. One of my LBS exists solely to sell the best bikes ever made (whoever they’re contracted to stock at present) and charge a fortune over halfords/the Internet for tubes and lube.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not really sure if I know where to stand on the LBS versus the rest of the world debate..

On the one hand a lot of enthusiasts slag off their LBS, and the LBS is undoubtedly losing some profit on high end boutique parts and equipment to the internet shops..

On the other hand the LBS seems in general to be the one area of retail where the customer is never right, and they’re sooo flippin’ busy doing a roaring trade that they don’t have time to provide an acceptable level of service..

ronjeremy
    Free Member

and in other news I popped into my LBS yesterday afternoon, to collect one of my bikes and a wheel that they were also building for me, and they had saved me the last piece of Victoria sponge that they had specifically put to one side for me…

LBS win as far as I’m concerned

yunki
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong.. I quite like the folk in my LBS, and I would say that getting on for 50% of the staff there are almost approaching something like personable.. 😀

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Assuming the OPs story is true then what the shop did is totally outrageous and probably downright illegal too . I wonder if the people trying to excuse this behaviour would be so charitable if the shop in question was Dave Hinde ?

shepleg
    Free Member

Knowing both the op and shop, there is definatly more to this ‘story’ than has been posted here. Straight accusing them of theft and naming them is disgusting. With the op’s history.

onehundredthidiot

That’s at least three people that know the lbs. I that case get them, on give their side, let them defend themselves/clear their name.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I can only guess that the people who are offering excuses for what happened are people in the bike trade?

In which case .. surely these people should be trying to remove the bad apples that are giving their profession a bad name.

I’ve worked in the bike trade for years, as many on here know. (Don’t anymore)

But I had a similar incident happen to me when I worked in a sports shop just after leaving school.

A chap came in late on a friday, after the latest Pete Sampras racket that had just arrived that morning desperate to play with it that evening. So I grabbed the racket out of the box showed him it. He then asked if he could have it strung in the top of the range string at a certain tension.

I said no probs, cut the strings out whilst chatting to him and restrung the racket. He paid for the string and racket left capped to bits.

The next morning he called to say the racket had been strung in the same strings as original. (He was right, but at the time this was an unusual string to factory standard) Kicking off that we had ripped him off. We apologised and gave him the refund of string.

I genuinely never thought to check and my intentions where to get the customer out the door with what he wanted for his match that evening.

I’m not defending the shop entirely or saying the OP is completely wrong, as I wasn’t there and only have an internet rant to go off. I’m just saying there is a good chance it was a mistake.

The glass is always either half full or half empty.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Probably should have- if they all did collectively it might make us (the buying public) rethink our choices. I’m not saying we should just hand over our cash unthinkingly but imo buying all the components to do the job elsewhere from an online retailer but without the wherewithal to do the job yourself and then to take them to a place that sells the very same products is a bit cheeky.
    This does not give the shop owner/ wheelbuilder carte-blanche to rip you off but maybe goes a little way to understand why they might want to.

What an utter load of bollox. Should a car garage turn down work if I asked them to bleed my brakes if I didnt buy the car from them?

Why would any business turn down work because the parts didn’t come from them.
    It’s why they charge labour. Some shops will even do free fitting on stuff bought from them.

Infact labour on bike repairs is probably the most profitable thing not parts.
    If a rear mech has a retail of £85 pretty sure the bike shop will only be making £35 profit at the most.

Think about it before you come on trolling.

BruceWee

Knowing both the op and shop, there is definatly more to this ‘story’ than has been posted here. Straight accusing them of theft and naming them is disgusting. With the op’s history.

Any chance that you could let the shop know so that we can get their side of the story.

Also can you give us a quick summary of the OP’s history?

honourablegeorge

For those claiming it was an honest mistake – the builder called the OP to say his spokes were too short. Which was clearly untrue, as he went ahead and used them in the end. Dubious.

He was either lying about that, or at best did a shoddy job with the wrong sized spokes, and compounded it by charging for new spokes on top.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Can someone reveal the name of the shop so i know to avoid.

I think the OP did mention them in a coded message but I have no idea what that was.

Getting annoyed with people moaning about customers buying parts on the Internet then asking LBS p do other work.

The LBS’s should be glad of any work. I suspect all the people complaining about it are in the trade.

geoffj

Perhaps the guy was just having a bad week, has stuff going on in his head outside work, or was overly busy. Maybe give him the benefit of doubt this time?
    We can all **** up at work from time to time.

walleater

LOL

bencooper
    Free Member

Why would any business turn down work because the parts didn’t come from them.
    It’s why they charge labour. Some shops will even do free fitting on stuff bought from them.

If you buy the parts from the shop, the shop makes the profit on the parts, and the profit on the labour. If you bring parts bought online, the shop only makes the profit on the labour. But the time taken is the same, the shop still has to pay rent, rates, wages, heating and lighting. So the shop makes less money.

Add to that, often people who pay less for parts want to pay less for labour too. Not always, but it’s a common complaint.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you buy the parts from the shop, the shop makes the profit on the parts, and the profit on the labour. If you bring parts bought online, the shop only makes the profit on the labour. But the time taken is the same, the shop still has to pay rent, rates, wages, heating and lighting. So the shop makes less money.

So I bought my bike from my LBS but I’ve since moved to a different area.

Will the new shop turn down servicing work on my bike as it will clearly effect their ability to pay the rent and the lighting bill if they service a bike that wasn’t bought there 😉

As it happens, the new shop offers free fitting if you buy the parts from them.

So would they be better off not doing that work and accepting my servicing work instead ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Dunno – I’m just suggesting why some shops might not be happy fitting parts bought online. I’m not a normal bike shop – I know how I make money, I have no idea how a normal shop does it 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Dunno

Me neither, it was hypothetical really (I haven’t moved house, and I do my own servicing generally 😉 )

mooman
    Free Member

BruceWee – Member

Any chance that you could let the shop know so that we can get their side of the story.

Also can you give us a quick summary of the OP’s history?

Yep – I would be very interested too 😉
    Maybe Shepleg would like to remind me who he is too – seeing as he knows me ..

mooman
    Free Member

An update … Shepleg is Simon Powdrill … aka LoCo … as in the guy on page one who came to the LBS defence ..

Why post under a different user account though …

Yep … I can guess 😳

And just for the record. I have never met Simon Powdrill/Loco/Shepleg

SaxonRider

What about the OP’s history?

I know the OP, and can not imagine him making something up or embellishing a story with a view to denigrating anyone’s livelihood.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL

Why LOL?
    Tell me, how much goes into the bank on £100 labour and how much on £100 of parts? 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Thanks SaxonRider.
    Its pretty clear where Shepleg/Loco/Simon Powdrill is coming from.

ps,
    Are you one of the 2 Toms?

SaxonRider

Nope. I’m ‘The Flying Doctor’. Remember?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tell me, how much goes into the bank on £100 labour and how much on £100 of parts?

Not apples and apples though is it?

New gear cable £1.99, fitting £10?

New Hope BB £70, fitting £10, (or more likely free if you bought it from the shop rather than for £10 less on CRC). The BB probably made more than £10 margin.

Guess it probably depends on the shop as a town center shop in a big city probably does more gear cables, brake pads and punctures.

Local higher end shops maybe a greater proportion of money in components? £100 labour would build a bike from components, there’s more money in the components (the frame alone even?) surely?

mooman
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

Nope. I’m ‘The Flying Doctor’. Remember?

Of course. I hope with your very busy schedule you are finding time to ride?

smell_it
    Free Member

An update … Shepleg is Simon Powdrill … aka LoCo … as in the guy on page one who came to the LBS defence

If that’s true, that is a bit of a shame’er.

He tried to bum u

SaxonRider

mooman – Member

Of course. I hope with your very busy schedule you are finding time to ride?

I am, but mostly on the road to work. I have ridden with my older boys a few times, and will be out again this week. But nothing compared to what you are doing!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not apples and apples though is it?

Be picky if you like, but that’s how I’m comparing it, yes. Parts you have to buy. Labour you don’t, you’re paying the staff anyway. Simples. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘LBS .. not doing themselves any favours!’ is closed to new replies.