Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • LBS moral dilemma of the day
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

A punter has asked me to put up a Critical Mass “poster”.

I’m not sure I approve, should I?

druidh
    Free Member

I’d put it up.

Up his arse!

geoffj

2/10

druidh
    Free Member

More likely A4

wwaswas

More likely A4

that’s a busy road to get lots of cyclists meandering about on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where is our local CM rep (or not a rep just a bloke who may or may not be with them whoever they are) I’m mostly amazed the uncollective managed to get some posters printed.

What do we want
    Not sure!

Put it in the crapper

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use the term “poster” generously.

geoffj do you have a problem with free speech or something? I’m just wondering what the collective-hive-minds’ views are on this as I am undecided and I don’t think it’s been argued to death here yet.

geoffj

I don’t think it’s been argued to death here yet.

😆

You are trying to smoke him out and I claim my 5 poundz

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a stack of CM leaflets – I don’t think anyone has ever taken one…

gearfreak
    Free Member

It’s your shop, if you don’t agree with it don’t put it up.
    The moral dilema is how to deal with it.
    1)Explain to him that you don’t agree with there philosophy so won’t be putting up his poster.
    2)Smile sweetly, say ‘yes no worries’ then bin the poster as soon as he’s gone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If i was a business it is not something i would want to associate with as I think it is does a disservice to the cycling cause

Can you not just put it up near your fixies?

andycs

What is critical mass?

TooTall
    Free Member

What is critical mass?

It is the weight of the UK population if we don’t shut down all fast food restaurants we’ve never eaten in!

bencooper
    Free Member

What is critical mass?

About 10kg of Plutonium.

spawnofyorkshire

What is critical mass?

It’s a jazz album

wwaswas

It’s a jazz album

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a Jizz Album???? Eh 😳

No idea what CM is or it’s influence on bikes in general but if it rubs someone up the wrong way then slam it on the wall.

At least your punters might just stay around longer than “got a puncture repair outfit mate?”

andyrm
    Free Member

Nope – don’t do it.

I disagree with the principles of CM because they only further alienate by being deliberately obstructive to motorists, which in turn feeds the anti cyclist mob, and in a time when things like Cyclescheme etc are aiming to increase engagement with non-cyclists and grow numbers, this would seem to be a backwards step.

Plus the CM lot tend to be proper wierdos.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Critical Mass goers are are just people who want to see the roads made safer and more encouraging to cyclists. Bristish roads fall way behind the rest of Western Europe in this regard. If this makes them “weirdos” then i am most definately a weirdo. I hope you are too! There’s no shame in going against the mainstream flow and making people think a little beyond the status quo.

Whether the CM rides really help in this regard is a worthwile discussion. I’ve been on many in the past but I dont go anymore because I tend to think they just antagonise drivers and they are a bit of a throwback to the 1990s. They also encourage drivers to go into road rage mode which is pretty scary and not exactly constructive.

On the plus side, they are really friendly, can be a lot of fun and i’ve also seen some really positive reactions from drivers and pedestrians.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i wouldn’t want to associate my business with it.

whether you agree with CM or not, a good percentage of your punters may not…

footflaps

Critical Mass goers are are just people who want to see the roads made safer and more encouraging to cyclists.

At some point in history, yes (or maybe). Now they just seem to be another bunch of idiots after an excuse to piss of drivers, pedestrians, anyone whose not in their group.

Also as you said:

I’ve been on many in the past but I dont go anymore because I tend to think they just antagonise drivers and they are a bit of a throwback to the 1990s. They also encourage drivers to go into road rage mode which is pretty scary and not exactly constructive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i wouldnt want to associate my business with it.

+1, I’ve not got a business but I’d probably avoid bike shops that suppourted it through.

I once had to cycle through the town center shortly after critical mass had been through, certainly didn’t feel any safer being shouted at by drivers for something I wasn’t even involved with!

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

At some point in history, yes (or maybe). Now they just seem to be another bunch of idiots after an excuse to piss of drivers, pedestrians, anyone whose not in their group.

To be fair, I think a lot of drivers in the city are very pissed off from the moment they get in their cars. Most of them would be far happier if they just got out of their box every now and again. There’s not really much you can do for these poor souls.

I am a driver by the way. I just dont drive if i can walk or cycle. Why would you?

AlasdairMc

Edinburgh doesn’t need Critical Mass to slow drivers down. They have enough roadworks and tram works to do that without cyclist involvement…

funkrodent

Went to a critical mass event years ago. They had a band playing in the middle of the street. At the end a couple of vans showed up to take the band away. Seemed a tad hypocritical to me. As far as I can see their goal is to increase awareness of, and participation in, cycling. Which is no bad thing. Not sure if their methods aren’t a tad counter-productive though…

smell_it
    Free Member

Given what a blowhard the op is on here, i am slightly surprised he wasn’t able to voice his opinion at the time. Geoffj +1, slow news morning.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Obvious Troll fails to smoke out Obvious New Log In Owner.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Obvious Troll fails to smoke out Obvious New Log In Owner.

*is lost*

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘LBS moral dilemma of the day’ is closed to new replies.