Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • LBS for impulse purchases
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Popped in to buy some cleaner, lube and a water bottle, came out with some Easton Haven carbon bars. Who else has an LBS who knows their weaknesses?

bigblackshed

Oh yes!

I walk in, have the piss taken out of me, some money leaves my wallet, I walk out with some random products that I didn’t think I needed.

Last thing I “needed” was some Leyzne lights.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

yup. walked out with a turbo trainer today rather than some stem spacers. 😐

wallop

I walked into mine about 3 weeks ago wanting some of those cola Powerbar lozenges. Came out with A Camebak Hawg. 😳

chestrockwell

Yep, often end up with stuff I didn’t need or want to buy.

Worst offence was back in 2007 when I had some money and had just bought a Orange 5 with full XT. Called in to Chevin Cycles in Otley on the way back from one of it’s first rides and came out with XTR shifters and rear mech. Over £200 to replace parts that were great and almost new. 😳

tomhoward

Went to an open evening for a beer and a chat. Bought a road bike.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for a ‘bargain’ so this has happened more times than I can remember. I think the worst was going in for a gear cable and leaving with a Foes FXR frame…

boxfish
    Free Member

Walked in for tyres. Walked out with wheels & tubes & tyres. Still, I guess I got what I went in for…

coatesy
    Free Member

A customer of ours came in for an inner gear cable once, and left with a new bike for £697 extra.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Those unintended bike purchases are most admirable 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

I take complete credit for it, thank you 🙂

lapierrelady

Glow in the dark handlebar tape 😳

honourablegeorge

Walked into a shop in Dublin to kill 5 mins while waiting for a takeaway, came out with a Blur 4x

That said, I wander into my local shops all the time, and never find anything. Had 120 to spend in a voucher the other day, couldn’t get rid of it.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Went in for a magazine to read on train home and came out with a Lezyne light and a brass bell [?]

Davesport

Went into the LBS for some electrolyte tabs & left with a Solaris frame & some Hoops 8) They must see me coming 😀

andypaul99
    Free Member

Went in for some power link connectors and came out with a full xtr chainset 😐

thegreatape
    Free Member

This thread reminds me of I Used to Work in Chicago.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not entirely impulse, but demoed a Nomad with it being just to see what they’re like, not intending to buy and the intention of buying something much later after doing a lot of subsequent other demos and research. Walked away with the thing instead 😀

Had I not, I’d have ended up with something “more sensible” at a fraction of the price and bought online.

alexpalacefan

Went into my LBS today for a seatpost clamp.

Came out with just the clamp. Very proud of myself 🙂

APF

lightman
    Free Member

Years ago I hit a pothole on my cheapish road bike and put a gash in the side wall of my tyre, went in to get a new tyre and came out with a Trek 5200!!

tk46hal
    Free Member

Last year, just killing time, £160 on a Joystick light!

Currently charging. 😉

Went into Non-Local bike shop at the time to buy a jersey and left with a job and have been there ever since. 😐

jambalaya
    Free Member

See I’m not daft, went into my LBS and was shown ex demo Covert frame, ready to be cleaned up for sale. Id ridden the bike so knew i liked it. Was offered first dibs. See I’m smart, I said I’d think about it and went home, no impulse buy for me despite the attractive price. When I called back it was sold so I ended up buying a new one – doh !

Russell96

I popped into Sideways Cycles one afternoon on the way home from work to get a bottom bracket, walked out with a Santa Cruz Blur frame.

cakefacesmallblock

Yep. Last time, shorts became shorts and wheels.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Went in wanting to know more bout fixies at around £400 tops mark and came out two days later with van nich roady.

Was a surprise to me once the dust on my head had settled again!
    Heehe!

Couldn,t regret doing so though as van nich sure know their stuff and onto a winner with their vfm ti warrantied for life frames.

Just need to ride road more once i get off the smokes any day now!…

Lbs, I salute you for stocking last one left in my size.
    😀

professor_fate
    Free Member

Popped in to order another b****y mech hanger for my Dawg, and left with a price-reduced Whyte 905 (excuse – needed a back-up-bike) 😯

chestrockwell

Just remembered another……

Was at work and passing Stif in Summerbridge so popped in for a quick look. Lass I worked with ended up buying a Santa Cruz Blur even though she was happy with the bike she had and had no intention of getting a new bike. We were only in there 5 mins!

rocketman
    Free Member

I’m one of those OC people who never, ever buy anything on impulse. Everything has to analysed, compared, shortlisted and tracked down for the lowest possible price 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s normally my approach. I end up never buying anything. Shops are terrible places as whatever I see I won’t buy until I’ve done some research not just on price but whether it’s the right thing I want and the best option. Sometimes I have to force myself to be impulsive.

I’m even getting bad in supermarkets as I’ll spend ages comparing prices between brands trying not to be ripped off by special offers that aren’t so special. May involve a lot of conversions to prices per 100g/ml/etc and they’re sneaky and print the prices in different units just to throw you off.

avdave2

and came out two days later with van nich roady.

Did they kidnap you! Was water boarding and sleep deprivation involved?

brakes
    Free Member

This thread reminds me of I Used to Work in Chicago.

KitKat she wanted?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

and came out two days later with van nich roady.
    Did they kidnap you! Was water boarding and sleep deprivation involved?

Funnily enough, Sleep deprivation is a daily involvement of my life, they didn,t even make me a tea/coffee at time of purchase ha, bloody lbs ;d

They take an age to let me pay even though It takes me 2mins to get those fifties out slap bang on the counter ffs.
    Then they have to prep amd supposedly check brakes gears blahd blah, the front gear cable was shitely set up amd doesn,t shift in to gear well twice out of twenty attempts is bad imo for new sram.

Apart from that I’m happy as larry!

Now need to catch up on sleep to reflect on that grer ger great impulse buy heehe!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘LBS for impulse purchases’ is closed to new replies.