Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LB rims – 30mm vs 35mm?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Am pondering a 29er wheelset with LBs.

With either these (30mm external – 24mm internal)
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/U-shape-29er-rim-30mm-wide-hookless-MTB-bike-carbon-rims-tubeless-compatible.html#.VYPkxGA0dq5

and these (35mm external – 30mm internal):
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/35mm-wide-29er-rims-beadless-for-bicycle-trail-or-mountain-bike-enduro-with-tubeless-compatibility.html#.VYPk5mA0dq4

I can’t get over an irrational prejudice the 35mms will all be a bit cumbersome and monster-trucky.

I’m currently running Flows (old style). My use is XC, plenty of miles to earn my smiles and I can’t slouch as I’m at the back of a fast crew, and rooty singletrack and more aggressive trail riding like BPW reds, on a 29er FS.

I’ll mostly be running 2.30 – 2.35 tyres.

Is there any good reason not to go with the 35mm? (The weight difference is of no consequence).

Thx.

Gotama
    Free Member

I had velocity P35s (have the rear left). I used to burp specialized purgatory tyres relatively regularly on the rear with the flow rims you now have without running silly low pressures, 35 psi ish. I don’t burp them on the P35 so definitely more tyre stability as you would expect. The downside is that it gives the tyre a much bigger profile. As a result I found that it made a noticeable difference on how easy it was to turn/tip the bike into a turn on the flow/current arch ex on the front with a hans dampf tyre compared to the P35. Appreciate that this is probably tyre dependent and also a lack of skill on my behalf but to me there is a big difference in how nippy the bike felt on twisty turny stuff. As such with the hans dampf I prefer the flow/arch rim profile on the front and the P35 on the back.

And for the record no issues with stability on the front with the dampf at 25 psi on the arch at BPW on everything from blue to all the blacks. And you know I am ‘kin rad on a bike so make of this blurb what you will. 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx – no I don’t want to disrupt ‘flickability’.

I’ve never burped the Flows, running same tyres in mid-20s. Does that make me an “XC mincer”? 😆

nickdavies

Have a bit of a google for the AC wide lightning. There’s quite a good video explaining the benefits of wider wheels for XC and the tech behind it. Obviously biased as it’s from AC but they reckon wide is good and the wheels get pretty good reviews.

Gotama
    Free Member

Well you have the right bike for it….. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

Well you have the right bike for it…..

Boom boom.

proutster
    Free Member

My 30mm external and 24mm internal 29er rims arrived yesterday and, I’m hoping, they’ll be perfect for my Anthem X.

They’re still 5mm wider than the Giant rims currently on there, so (I’m hoping again) a good half-way point between that and the 33mm wide ones on my 26er Gnarpoon.

FYI they weigh 388g and 390g each.

Now to get them built-up 😯

mikeep
    Free Member

I have two pairs with 24 and 30 internal.

The 24’s have been used for xc’s, enduros and alp trips and have been great. Super stiff.

The 30’s I have on my bigger bike and they ride very similar to the narrower ones. You do notice that the tire feels a lot more stable when cranking the bike over in bends and you can run the tires a little softer.

I am however awaiting a replacement 30 internal as it cracked just riding along a path!!

mattjg
    Free Member

> I have two pairs with 24 and 30 internal.

If you had to have one only, for everything, which would it be?

mattjg
    Free Member

As a result I found that it made a noticeable difference on how easy it was to turn/tip the bike into a turn on the flow/current arch ex on the front with a hans dampf tyre compared to the P35.

Did you try your wide times with narrower tyres – 2.25-2.30 ?

mikeep
    Free Member

If you had to have one only, for everything, which would it be?

I’d opt for the wider ones if I had to choose. More grip from wider contact patch and no tire squirm. Work great with 29 x 2.5 DHF 3c’s!! 🙂

mos

I’ve got the 38mm ones on my hard tail. Running a knard on the front and a 2.25 conti race king on the back. Aesthetically they remind me of the old HED ones that Pace used to run on their DH bike and I can see where the thoughts of ‘monster truck’ come from. Haven’t burped a tyre yet but the bead seat is quite tight & the tyres went with a right old kapang when they seated. When viewed from above you can see approx 5mm of the casing peeping out either side of the tread on the conti.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Though not LB rims I have a pair of Roval carbon 30mm fattie SL’s & as soon as I popped them in the bike the grip difference was noticeable straight away, the contact patch is larger with no clearance issues, I recently did a weeks riding around the highlands & did the Torridon Lollipop loop and the grip levels were superb, came home with scratches on the rims but that’s all part of the fun doing Torridon.

If I were to buy another pair of rims or wheels I’d definitely go 30mm internal again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘LB rims – 30mm vs 35mm?’ is closed to new replies.