• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lazy left leg
  • breninbeener

Having spent just about all my cycling career being clipped in, with just the odd foray into riding flats on my DH bike, i have been riding my HT with flats.
    I was really surprised to find that most of my effort seemed to come from my right leg and my left leg seemed to apply much less pressure to the pedal stroke. My left seemed to be ‘waiting’ for my right leg to lift the pedal before it wanted to get involved. It felt oddly assymetric.
    I havnt noticed this when clipped in, and have never used a power meter. Does anyone else suffer like this? Have you been able to train it out of yourself? My legs seem similar size but i am right foot dominant. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I got a pretty decent pedal stroke by pedalling clipped in using 1 foot at a time – much easier on a spinning bike!

This translated well when I started using flats and can now switch between them no problem

breninbeener

That sounds like it may work. I had been riding a fixie on the road a little but it doesnt seem to have helped. I dont really have access to a spinning bike however….

tomd
    Free Member

Can you get a shot on some rollers? It’ll definitely become apparent if you have a lop sided technique and maybe help smooth it out with a bit of practice.

adsh
    Free Member

The musculature on my left leg was noticably punier. I started using a Stages (left only) powermeter 18months ago. Invariably when I’m tired I start to ‘cheat’ by concentrating on my left leg style.

The result has been my left leg is now stronger than my right.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lazy left leg’ is closed to new replies.