Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lazy approach to London marathon training!
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

Does anyone know how useful cycling is when training for a marathon? All of the training plans suggest about 3 runs a week, and to be honest I am just about managing one long run! I do cycle commute 13 miles each way 3 or 4 times a week so my fitness is there…..I just don’t really like running!

I am doing London because it is on my bucket list, and having applied to the lottery for years I couldn’t turn down a slot! All I want to do is get round, and finish!

djglover
    Free Member

The main problem is that your aerobic endurance from the cycling will be greater than the running strength you gain this way so there is a big risk of injury. Also the muscles you need to run the race are not really being trained on the bike.

It might work though

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You need to start running.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trust me on this.

Don’t think you’ll get away with not training. It took me about a month the walk normally again when i tried it.

Andy_K

As another cyclist who is training for this years LM, you’ve probably left it too late to be able to run all the way round. Unless you’re 7 stone wet through, it’s the impact on your unconditioned knees and legs that will get you.

You can get round, but perhaps by alternating between running and walking?

phil40
    Free Member

Cheers,

I have been doing 9 min run 1 min walk for my long runs so far I am up to 15 miles. I have done Ironman races before, but I was super motivated for those…..I think that is half my problem, I am not scared enough, and it is going to kick me on the ass come race day!

phiiiiil

Last year I did the Bath Half after doing some but not a lot of actual running; my fitness was fine, I did what I thought was a very respectable time for a non-runner of 1:45 or something, but that evening I could barely walk and it was several weeks before my hips stopped aching, I thought I’d done permanent damage when it wasn’t going away.

phil40
    Free Member

Just re read my first post….I meant to say one long run a week……not just one long run! Even I am not quite that lazy…..quite

TheBrick
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    The main problem is that your aerobic endurance from the cycling will be greater than the running strength you gain this way so there is a big risk of injury

This. I did a only 10km race when I was fit from cycling. Ran well beat loads of club runners, fished just behind #1 or #2 woman but by 30 min after I could not walk. Stairs were a problem for best part of half a week. I can only imagine what it would be like after a marathon!

Stainypants

I running Manchester in 5 weeks just done my penulitimate long run 19 miles this morning. I’ve builing up my long runs since October did 22 miles !ast month a!so raced a half marathon last weekend.

My only other marathon was Mallorca I was bike fit but didnt run enough long runs. On the day it was 34C managed the first half in 1.50 then second was 2.30 don’t ever want to feel like that again ever.

If your going to do it take it easy don’t go out fast.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lazy approach to London marathon training!’ is closed to new replies.