Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • layouts for 10×8 sheds
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

new shed coming.

What layouts work …

have 10 bikes atm although 1 or 2 will be living in the house (for rollers)

currently thinking hang my bikes from the roof along the rear short wall and the missus bikes on the floor along that wall between my bikes – will that work or am i expecting too much from that space?

door on short wall or long wall – im erring on middle of the long wall – bikes on one side – tools and workbench on the other so im not passing through one area to the other all the time? – but open to ideas.

spooky_b329

Double doors along the long wall would be my choice. Bikes to one end, workbench, tools and spares to the other end.

GW
    Free Member

6 hanging from their front wheels (at slightly staggered heights to allow space for bars) fit along the back wall of a 6×8 without resorting to turning bars. so you should easily fit your 10 along the 10ft side of your shed. make sure a roadbike is at each side. and stagger them (roady/mtb/roady etc.)

br
    Free Member

Bigger shed would be my thought…, have you a space restriction on where you'll put it?

tommid
    Free Member

10 bikes in a 10x 8 shed and room to remove them with out scratching the hell out of them… Bigger shed required I think. I have three in a shed that size and a work bench and it feels cramped.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I'm the same. I've a 10×8 shed and own 10 bikes, although one lives in the roof over summer and one stays in the garden full-time under a placcy bike cover.

I've an extra-wide door on the short wall (gable end) which makes life a lot easier and is definitely worth considering. There's a workbench at the far end which is high enough to get a bike's bars under. Amongst other features, I've a low long shelf down the LH wall under the windows (and under bar height), and a long high shelf down the RH wall, well above bar height. So, no shelves or workbench foul the bars or pedals meaning I can get more bikes in. Eight is comfortable, though nine is possible.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i only really need 6 or 7 in the shed – unless im going away.

our commuters can live under plastic covers ..

space restrictions are – its a rented property where the landlord lives next door – he says i can have a shed thats no issue – might not even get a 10 x 8 – but i cant see it being an issue where he has said i can put it.

i wouldnt be trying to work in the shed though – working on bikes would be done outside….3 bikes in a 10×8 shed and it feels cramped – how bigs your workbench … i have the same number of bikes and a monsterous workbench in a 10×8 garage extension atm just not using it to its full potential due to it not being my space to do so !

trail_rat
    Free Member

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_By42uYleqms/TGjpxJNAbpI/AAAAAAAAGms/csa8Np3574g/s512/CIMG0367.JPG[/img]

shed built

plenty room. 2 x 4 frame , 16mm shiplap, 16mm ply floor and 8mm roof and alot of nails , thank **** for paslode.

350 quid all in ! – just need to paint the door again ! – was building that while the missus was painting the rest of the shed,then had to go to town for stuff

DT78
    Free Member

Did you build the whole thing from scratch or get a flat pack?

One tip when I used to have to keep the bikes in the shed, I found removing the front wheels and turning the bars parallel to the top tube meant I could get them much much closer together.

Front wheels were also not kept in the shed so if some scrot did get in and through the locks he had to carry it off rather than ride it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

from scratch – wouldnt recomend it unless you have a couple of nail guns and a circular saw – in a bench. and a trade A/C at the timber merchant

hammering in the ammount of nails in that thing would do my head in – no doubt it could be done but time taken would be silly – must be 400 nails a side in that thing !

neighbour/landlord wants one now – he did what i did – went to shed places – baulked at the prices and then again at how shoddy they were for the price !

Stoner
    Free Member

That padlock looks a bit weedy 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

it is – its getting real locks put on it when i dont have to buy them from a diy shop …focus wanted 100 quid for something id trust – and i want 2 of them.

bikes locked up inside anyway !

Trekster

could do with some ply on the wokbench wall to put up race nbs, posters and hang tools from imo

DT78
    Free Member

Impressed looks really good. Been thinking about trying it for a while as the space I have is irregular, plus the price of sheds appears to be ridiculous…

Maybe a project for next summer.

EDIT – someone said to me once that big expensive locks on the front of sheds point to something expensive in them, I'd stick to a cheap one on the outside and the massive ones inside. Makes sense to me

lucien

And it needs a secret cupboard for your "stash" 😯 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

stash – viva le digital revolution.

trekster – its not a bike shop – my tools live in the tool box so i can just ship out to the van and go.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘layouts for 10×8 sheds’ is closed to new replies.