Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LayingAPatiotrackworld
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Right.

My girlfriend wants me to lay a circular patio kit (2.4m diameter) on a sloping lawn.

To even up the ground, I am going to build up one side with a course of bricks.

This means I need a level foundation for the bricks.

1. Can I just dig a trench then pour a self-levelling compound into it to create a level foundation for the bricks (does such a product exist?)

2. Can I then lay the bricks, then pour in the rest of the self-levelling stuff up to the top, to form a level base for the patio, which I will lay with mortar?

3. If not, what is the easiest way to create level foundations, firstly for a semicircle of bricks, then for the flags?

Keep it in noob language please

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

My girlfriend wants me to lay a circular patio kit (2.4m diameter) on a sloping lawn.

Can I be the first to wonder if that is not the most elaborate euphemism seen around these parts?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d go for larger than 2.4 m unless your girlfriend is particularly short.

Stops foxes etc digging up the remains.

How steep is the slope?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

How steep is the slope?

Going to get the spirit level across the hole once I’ve finished digging it out, but approx (conveniently) the height of a brick!

honeybadgerx

Just use lean mix concrete for the wall base, level it off approximately, then use a mortar bed to get the first course of bricks spot on (take your time here and it’ll pay off). Behind the wall to level it use some ‘type 1’ – builder’s merchants will supply and advise, it’s cheap stuff. I’d try and make sure you’ve got a minimum of 250mm thick across the patio, then hire a Wacker plate to tamp it down. It may seem overkill but will be worth it long term in keeping you out of jail and the slabs level.

GrahamS

Don’t forget that it may subside as the lime dissolves the corpses so try to keep them evenly spaced.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Just use lean mix concrete for the wall base, level it off approximately, then use a mortar bed to get the first course of bricks spot on (take your time here and it’ll pay off). Behind the wall to level it use some ‘type 1’ – builder’s merchants will supply and advise, it’s cheap stuff. I’d try and make sure you’ve got a minimum of 250mm thick across the patio, then hire a Wacker plate to tamp it down. It may seem overkill but will be worth it long term in keeping you out of jail and the slabs level.

OK thanks.

1. Can I pour the concrete straight onto compacted earth, or if not, what substrate?

2. How deep should the concrete be?

3. How deep can the mortar be if I’m having to correct the level?

wrightyson
    Free Member

You firstly need to remove the lawn and soil. get down to a decent subbase then dig your foundation. For something like that 4 inch of conny will be plenty but it needs to bear on to decent ground. width of your shovel will also do. Mix at 4 ballast to 1 cement and level.

honeybadgerx

YouTube can be your friend as well, some of the slab manufacturers have some decent videos.

MrOvershoot

1st call would usually be here http://www.pavingexpert.com/

spooky_b329

Height of one brick across the 2.4m patio?

I’d just build it with a slight slope in the right direction to avoid puddling, and lift then re-lay the turf slightly higher.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Some excellent advice here. Thanks all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘LayingAPatiotrackworld’ is closed to new replies.