Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Laying a wood floor on top of tiles?
  • keppoch

Hello all,

I’ve got the builders in! At the moment it is the destruction phase of works, the wallpaper has come off (along with a fair portion of the wall in some cases!) and the carpets are gone. Once the road to recovery is in place I am hoping to have wood floors throughout the ground floor as one of the final steps in the work.

Under the carpet are vinyl floor tiles which are stuck to a concrete floor. The tiles are stuck firmly down and are in good condition. The builder is recommending that the tiles are left down and that the floor will be best laid over the top, he is not just trying to save money/time as he is offering to refund some of quote cost if he doesn’t lift the tiles. He thinks that the tiles are an adequate base for the floor which will have to be laid ‘floating’ as a result of varying floor level across the room.

I’ve previously read good advice on here about wood floors and this generally seems to be along the lines of don’t float – stick. From what I have described does this still sound the case, is the builder advising a bodge or should I take the builders advice and save everyone time and money?

I am not planning to spend the earth on the floor but I do want something significantly better than cheapo laminate that doesn’t bounce around when I walk on it.

Any advice from someone who’s done it before? And if the best way is to lift the tiles and stick the floor down how can level differences be coped with given that self-levelling or screed will only be able to take out a couple of millimetres of difference I guess.

Keppoch.

keppoch

Go on, help me! 🙂

keppoch.

Dino
    Free Member

What's the sub floor ( boards / concrete)
    what sort of wood floor system are u thinking of using?

keppoch

Thanks for you reply.

sub floor is concrete.

I haven't yet chosen a floor type but I am thinking solid wood or engineered, I am not sure how these would fit together or to the floor.

I am rather new to these sorts of decisions but have to make a decision quickly and don't want to regret it!

keppoch

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeebus 😯

You emailed me didn't you?!!

I was away at the time and completely forgot to reply when I came back!! Some numpty businessman I am! Very sorry 'bout that.

Right…how's he planning to fit the floor onto the tiles? Stick down? Or float?

If they're level, then a floated engineered floor would be the best bet…AFAIK, flooring adhesive manufacturers don't recommend their glues for vinyl tiles.

Proper job would be to lift tiles and latex the floor (only if floor level is all over the place) – there ARE different floor levelling compounds for varying degrees of "all-over-the-shop". Then damp-proof/prime the sub-floor before gluing the wood floor down. Engineered flooring again would be best for this.

While not strictly a bodge, he is trying to take a short cut. The proper job would cost a fair bit more money…all depends on floor levels to be honest. If they're out with the vinyl, they'll still be out with the wood on top.

nuke

How old are the tiles? Some older vinyl floor tiles may have asbestos in and maybe worth getting checked. The asbestos will be encapsulated in the vinyl but still important to be careful if you do consider removing them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Laying a wood floor on top of tiles?’ is closed to new replies.