• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cp.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laxative effect of High5 Energy Source?? Is it just me….?
  • chief1409
    Free Member

As per title…. Anyone else with same problem (effects are felt a few hours later) and anyone know why?
    Going to have to try something else – what are people using for mid-ride hydration + energy source?

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Coffee and a scone, clotted cream and jam neccessary.

Rorschach
    Free Member

High 5,SIS (explosively) and cnp all go through me like a dose of salts.There’s a m56 hard shoulder emergency stop story that is too gruesome to recount on a family forum (I did’nt make it).
    All Torq products are fine with me (bars,gels,drinks etc) and have the added bonus of actually tasting nice and being something you actually want to eat (apart from the rhubarb and custard…which is minging).
    I think it’s the lack of artificial sweeteners etc.

hora
    Free Member

Why do people exercise to be healthy then eat this shit?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yep, a mate of mine handed some of this at coed y brenin, curiosity got the better of me and I consumed it.

About an hour later the surrounding foliage was getting some extra fertiliser!

First and last time for me.

Edit: for the energy rubbish that is, likely not the country crap

chief1409
    Free Member

Good that its not just me then! I suffer for days afterwards. I’ve only just made the connection so that’s it binned. Will try Torq stuff and see how i get on. Cheers for the feedback!

cp

Since i stopped using energy powders at all (not planned, just the way things went) my gut has been a much happier place. High5 ISOGELS are fine, but anything powder gives me stomach cramps, particularly when running. The effects would last for days!

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve found that a lot of energy products make me loose at some point. I thought it was the caffeine in many of them rather than the sweeteners as stuff like Redbull does the same.

Torq was okay, but as above I’ve standardised on plain water and real food, maybe a little electrolyte if it’s properly steenkin’ hot.

IMO these products are setting out to solve a problem that shouldn’t exist, at least in most peoples’ cases.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I only ever use them on realy big days out (6hrs+) where space for food is at a premium or when racing on the road when eating a sarnie at 25mph is a bit tricky.

nemesis
    Free Member

Energy foods are well known for this – lots of carbs and sugar ends up being more than your guts can manage and…

Different people find different brands might suit them better but most people get the same issue if you’re using lots of energy foods for a prolonged period (eg 12+ hour race)

cp

Energy foods are well known for this – lots of carbs and sugar ends up being more than your guts can manage and…

I’m fine on bananas, aldi cereal bars, jam butties, gels, etc…. Maybe it’s because the stomach needs to actually do something to extract the energy rather than being hit with straight carbs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laxative effect of High5 Energy Source?? Is it just me….?’ is closed to new replies.