Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Lawyers,the scum of Capitalism, discuss
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Love to here your opinions/experiences about the beggars.

globalti
    Free Member

My best mate was a solicitor, he was such a decent bloke that sometimes he would represent people who had got themselves in a mess and “forget” to bill them. He drank himself to death, sadly, leaving a huge gap in the lives of those who knew him as most of us used to rely on him for sensible, measured and experienced advice.

Just to redress the balance before the slagging starts.

bullheart
    Free Member

My wife is a lawyer.

A more principled, moral and kind individual you are unlikely to find. Before she went on maternity leave she would regularly advise her clients on the best, most cost-effective solutions to their problems, and as such was held in high regard both by them and her employers (because people used her for repeat business as a result).

saxabar
    Free Member

Never really thought of lawyers that way. My girlfriend’s sister is one although there are a few twatty people at her [Magic Circle] firm, probably as in any workplace.

sing1etrack

Hardly the scum of capitalism. Generally just normal people doing their job. Have you had to pay one of them a few hundred quid when you’ve moved house for them to provide a service you can’t do yourself and now you think they’ve pulled yer pants down?

djglover
    Free Member

Most i have come across through work or personal life have been totally decent earning an honest living helping and advising me / the teams I work on.

Edit-all

Klunk
    Free Member

friend of mine works in IT for a big world wide corperate legal company, and they bill for absolutely everything. They would invoice for the use of oxygen and letting heat out of the build when you leave 😉 It’s quite a eye opener.

Bregante

Yep lawyers are all scum
    Coppers are all thugs
    Builders are all dodgy

Sorry but 🙄

loum
    Free Member

Lawyers, no, they’re not as the OP describes.
    IME principled , decent folk.
    Bankers, now thats a different matter…

donsimon
    Free Member

Lawyers, no, they’re not as the OP describes.
    IME principled , decent folk.
    Bankers, now thats a different matter…

And let’s not forget those bustard consumers and their ever increasing pressures on prices… Grrr!

alexpalacefan

I blame Thatcher! No, really. She legalized advertising for the legal profession.

That in turn has led to the ambulance chasers (Claims Direct et c.) that are now all over the TV.

In turn that leads to an increased fear of litigation from everyone else, which has spawned the “health and safety gone mad” culture we all like to bemoan so much.

Anybody’s car insurance gone up recently? That’s to pay for the outbreak of “whiplash” and the like that has happened since the above started.

So, not all scum, but any where there’s blame there’s a claim sorts certainly are!

Rant over, sorry for the grammar.

APF

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m a lawyer (and IMHO a decent one – I’m ranked in legal 500 and chambers in my subject area). I try to give sensible, commercial advice, try to make it value for money and know what the professional code of conduct says. My clients keep on coming back.

I think there’s a distinction between people who see it as a profession and those who see it as a business. At my firm there are some people intent on squeezing every last drop of profitability out of us, and getting processes in place to churn bulk insurance claims with the minimum qualified lawyer input they can get away with.

Personally I’d rather have slightly lower profitability and higher morale,  happy clients and all that but as I’m unlikely to ever get a share of the profits I would say that 😉

The other issue is those lawyers who want to be bankers and get in on that slice of the action. I’m sure some of them are decent but I get the impression that there’s probably a lower proportion of the traditional decent lawyers in that sector.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Where was the party last night? Must have been a good one judging by the OP and some of these posts. Good luck with the headaches!!

antigee

if i could find the Lawyer that invented the phrase “please retain packaging for future reference” I’d be round their house with an f’ing big van full of trash and some big questions

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

The only expectations I have of Lawyers is that they are back in there box by Sunrise.

soobalias
    Free Member

round here we call them accountants

potatoe, pohtartoah

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Well yeh,they are a bunch of self serving moneygrabbers.

nonk
    Free Member

The mrs does a bit of lawyering mainly stuff that involves kids.
    oddly from where she is stood as a lawyer she often finds it hard to find anything good to say about joe public. 😐

a few things from experience:
    only a minority of lawyers are minted.
    they often don’t get payed.
    most of em hate doing claims work.
    some of them are indeed total w@nkers.
    some are nice folk.

crankboy
    Free Member

I’m a Lawyer here is a genuine character reference i just got from a client.
    “I have the same opinion as I had when I first met you. You are full of yourself, like to bull yourself up and when it comes to it. Not very good. As for all the swearing on Friday by you in your office, I found this very un-professional and offensive.”

To be fair i have represented him for the best part of a year without difficulty the cause of the above quote is the discovery of a new piece of evidence and my refusal to become involved in a dishonest defence. I think the swearing (which i do a lot with my clients) on this occasion comes from my use of the word lacuna.

nonk
    Free Member

crankboys post is fairly normal stuff.
    a difficult job dealing with difficult folk.
    no way could i do it.

to stupid to do it anyway but you get my drift. 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Lunch ?

Lunch ?

The only serious profession left where there is no one available between 1 and 2.

And for that, I agree with the OP

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

How about the fact they tend to engineer argument for extra work,Ha Ha I mean fees.They bully and intimidate,lie and in the end become a bit threatening when you don,t do as they want.They are bigger greedheads than the bankers.

willard

I’ve got a mate that’s a brief and he’s a nice chap and very ready to help mates out with advice. All told, he’s a good person.

I’m also moving house right now and the woman doing the conveyancing seems to be friendly and good at her job. Ok, it’s a bit more expensive than last time I moved house, but it beats doing things myself.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

The only difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead lawyer in the road is there would be some skidmarks in front of the dog.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Coppers are all thugs

Not all of them.

One or two are ok.

Northwind

I can’t fault them for exploiting a broken system- lawyers aren’t the problem, they don’t make the rules.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

they don’t make the rules

Er, they do, actually….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

monkey – are they still serving you? Are you still standing? Obviously you lost coherence a while ago, so I hope everything else is ok?

Spin
    Free Member

Marx didn’t think so.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Just to reinforce the stereotype and turn on my own creed, someone sent me this today…

Thieving Lawyers

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Generally been happy with mine except my divorce lawyer. She was 2 months late on her own schedule for doing some work and when I phoned to chase her I was billed for the phone call. Then when I phoned to complain about the bill for chasing her I was billed for that as well.

The majority of the ambulance chasers I have to deal with at work though are scum.

nwilko
    Free Member

lawyers / solicotors only exist beccause a great many would rather take advantadge of others in one way or another, its the people using the lawyers to make a fast buck that are the problem.

Spin
    Free Member

lawyers / solicotors only exist beccause a great many would rather take advantadge of others in one way or another, its the people using the lawyers to make a fast buck that are the problem.

Bollocks.

jackthedog
    Free Member

is all I’m saying.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

It’s 99% of lawyers that give the rest of them a bad name.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“I think there’s a distinction between people who see it as a profession and those who see it as a business.”

Absolutely true of all professions. The trick is always to identify people who regard their work as their vocation, and avoid those for whom it is merely work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

INteresting thread…I can conclude, usig the same “logic” as certain forum “members” that all of stw are stupid 🙄

Woody
    Free Member

My Daughter’s a lawyer – certainly fleeced me over the years,,,,,,, and that was before she qualified 😉

nonk
    Free Member

INteresting thread.

it’s not though al it’s just some clown having a moan because he got ripped of by a crap lawyer. 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

STW is a stupid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lawyers,the scum of Capitalism, discuss’ is closed to new replies.