Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • lawnmower & chainsaw engine oil
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Are they the same? Can I put the engine oil I have for my Stihl chainsaw into my petrol push-along lawnmower?

I went to my local garden centre to get some oil but they don't sell lawnmowers anymore! Nor the oil you need for them. Takes up too much space which can be put to better use selling fluffy toys, pot pourri and jars of glass pebbles. 👿

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is one diesel and the other petrol?

headfirst
    Free Member

both take unleaded

boblo
    Free Member

Assuming this is a serious question….

Both 2 stroke? The Stihl almost certainly is, the mower maybe. If they are, yes they may use the same oil for premix though the oil/petrol ratio may be different. Stihl like the petroil to be really oily if you don't use their 2s oil.

If your mower is 4 stroke, no the 2 stroke premix oil for the chainsaw is different from the oil you put in a 4 stroke sump. Cheap multigrade from Halfrauds should do it.

If this question is a wind up, well done…..and use rapeseed oil in both, you'll be reet…. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was kidding.

donald
    Free Member

Your chainsaw engine oil will be two stroke engine oil yes?

You can't use that as engine lubricating oil in a four stroke lawn mower which is what I suspect you have.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I use whatever spare oil i have lying around in my mower, currently is Motul 300V fully synthetic which smells lovely!

rangerbill

Chainsaw is either two stroke oil or chain oil. Dont use either of these as a lubricant oil in an engine as one is designed to burn and the other has anti fling qualities (yes really!)If its a Stihl use good quality Stihl stuff.

Mower 10-40 maybe? Use cheap halfords oil, should be OK

headfirst
    Free Member

No it wasn't a wind up. I am a bumbling idiot. I do use Stihl engine and chain oils with my chainsaw. Its in my top 5 toys ever 8) I was wondering about the 2 & 4 stroke thing, that's why I was asking…will get some cheap Halfords stuff for the mower then. Ta

molgrips
    Free Member

If your mower has an oil filler cap on top, it's a 4 stroke. If it has a second little tank in which to put oil, it's 2 stroke.

rangerbill

The fuel tank will have either the emblem of a petrol pump and a drop (of oil) 2 Stroke
    Just a petrol pump 4 stroke

just a fuel tank….2 Stroke
    Fuel tank, seperate oil fill and dip stick/sight glass…..4 Stroke

Long cable coming out the back……electric 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Chainsaw – 90% likely to be 2 stroke (usually pre-mixed oil:petrol – 1:50).
    Mower – very likely to be 4 stroke – no oil needed in the fuel. In my experience good 4 stroke mowers very rarely need oil top ups.

Both use the same petrol – unleaded.

rangerbill

Just checking my works mower and I need sae 30 and not 10-30 as I mentioned.SAE 10-30 will run thinner so you will use more and the engine will run hotter.
    Google the make of engine,as alot of mowers use the same engine(honda or Briggs and Stratton for example)
    Hope that helps

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Two stroke mowers do exist. We had one, it was really light, compact and sounded like a chainsaw on wheels 😈

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, I've got one. It's a Flymo something or other. Woe betide he who dunt put in petroil, it'll be a short cutting session…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘lawnmower & chainsaw engine oil’ is closed to new replies.