Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lawnmower
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

After a replacement for mine’s that just packed up

Tennis court size, clumpy unkempt grass

Everywhere I look is Bosch…

allthepies
    Free Member

Bosch Rotak FTW 🙂

tthew

Honda petrol. There is no other mower.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rob2
    Free Member

I bought a hayter spirit 41 (I think that’s the model) petrol mower this week. Seems quite good. Coped with our bumpy lawn. £265 from mowers online.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Good deal on the rotak 32 on Amazon today

theotherjonv

My last two have been flymos, both packed up for exactly the same reason (double switch thing)

So I spent a bit more and got a Bosch this time. Feels quite a bit sturdier, better height adjuster, bit more power, cuts nicely so far and leaves a nice stripey finish which the wife likes. Longer term my last two failed electrically so technically I can’t criticise the flymo mechanically nor praise the Bosch yet but it just ‘seems’ better.

Would of course have liked a petrol but they are heavier and bigger, more costly, and I wasn’t in the market for a low cost / low grade petrol.

(Edit – £120 for a rotak 37 from screwfix click and collect)

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, what blade width/grass box volume do I need for tennis court size

The 32/34’s are tiny

oldbloke
    Free Member

Make it easy for yourself Leave this going and make time to ride the bike instead?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have had flymo (both died electric deaths), qualcast (switch failed) and finally Bosch, its lasted 4 years and spends all winter in a leaky greenhouse but starts everytime.

z1ppy

Honda for petrol and Bosch for electric are the default options, for very good reasons..
    I know the Honda’s aren’t cheap but have a fantastic reputation. Brothers just bought one, on an internet deal, which the offical Honda dealer couldn’t match.
    My bosch is a good number of years old, and though it makes some weird noises now (stored in a damp garage), it just keeps on going.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks all

Zip – do you know the model of Honda he went for?

tetchypete
    Free Member

But the biggest Honda rotary you can afford and if poss one with a blade brake clutch – that way the engine doesn’t stop every time you empty the grass box. Not cheap but worth it in the long run.

CHB

Bosch for electric. No need to pay more than about £120…the more expensive ones just have frivolous features.

boblo
    Free Member

Nonda petrol. Next ?

z1ppy

Brothers working (air steward) till Tuesday, if you can hang on I’ll ask him when he’s back.. Though I think he went for one with a roller @ the rear (obsessed by his lawn & stripes!)

tthew

Mine’s a Honda Izy. Fairly basic, no roller or blade clutch. I could see the attraction of that, but it’s such a reliable starter, it’s not really necessary. 16″ blade I think, but obviously the wider the better.
    Mmmmm. Honda Izy.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Try an ex pro 18″ honda/kaaz/lawnflite, they’re all the same. Rollers are crap in damp grass. Viking, etesia, toro also good. Just a decent used deal. I’d avoid briggs engines, not as crisp as honda or kawa. And def petrol for tennis court size.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think the petrols may be overkill for what I’m after – have been managing with a 40cm Qualcast for the past few years,

and those Honda’s, although looking very nice, are pricey

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Have a look at the Alko electric mowers. Can’t fault ours after 5 years

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get a goat or a sheep.

#hipster

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lawnmower’ is closed to new replies.