Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lawn Mower Options – Robotic?
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

We’re due to move into our new house in October and the lawn will be around 1250m2. Currently we have a small lawn and just use the landlords mower. But now I am considering my options for the bigger space:

1. Buy a petrol ride-on mower. (Any recommendations?) Servicing costs as well as transporting it could be an issue.

2. Buy a robotic mower. Again any recommendations? Not sure I like the idea of burying a cable round the exterior and I heard GPS is not good enough.

3. Use some elbow Grease and get a cordless petrol or electric mower. But I think this will take up too much valuable biking time.

Budget is is probably around £2000. So what have you done or would you do?

jam-bo

4. Pay a man to do it.

ski
    Free Member

Sheep?

chrisdw
    Free Member

You have the money and the lawn to warrant a sit on mower…

Why wouldn’t you? Surely every bloke wants one?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely if you can afford £2k then paying some one to do it for you is an option?

brakes
    Free Member

That would surely pay for a man to do it for a few years?

dafoxster
    Free Member

Paying somebody is a possibility. Also the wife has suggested a goat!

The bloke in me wants a ride-on mower for sure.

tomsk
    Free Member

Work as a landscape gardener and all the places we work at with ride on mowers seem to spend as much time having the mowers repaired as they do actually using them. If you are going to get one then spend as much as you possibly can on it, and set aside a decent sum of money for servicing. For my money I’d go with a top of the range Husqvarna mulch mower, neater cut than with a ride on without having to collect and dispose of the grass as you do with a regular lawn mower, though you do have to make sure to cut the grass on a regular basis as they’re not the best for cutting grass thats been left to grow long

5thElefant
    Free Member

1. Buy a petrol ride-on mower. (Any recommendations?) Servicing costs as well as transporting it could be an issue.

If you’re man enough to buy a ride on mower you’re man enough to maintain a ride on mower 😉

They do make mowing the lawn less of a chore.

unovolo
    Free Member

Get one of these

And rig it up to the handlebars of your bike ,ride round the lawn.
    Grass cut and a bike ride at the same time ,with the time saved you can drink more beer!!!

dannybgoode

Hand push mowers rock. Its what I use – through choice. Admittedly my lawn isn’t quite of the same size as the OP’s though…

cozz
    Free Member

check out toro ride on mowers

just got one with a 40″ deck, about £2500, think they do a smaller one too

has westwoods, countax etc, the toro performs MUCH better, kawasaki engine 20 hp

ski
    Free Member

Don’t get a goat, go for a flock instead

sweepy
    Free Member

Our neighbour has a big lawn and it rules his life. He’s got a ride on but it never seems to work, and probably three petrol push jobs oh and a strimmer. You see him out there at 11 at night regularly and when he came back from hols he didn’t even unpack the car before he got the mower out.
    I’d say get a decent push petrol, mow what you will actually use, and turn the rest to meadow.

Dibbs
    Free Member

stufive
    Free Member

Get someone to do it (like me!) seriously give someone the work then you know its going to be done regularly and look good, can you see yourself mowing in the rain if needs be unblocking the mower every five minutes?

TrevorB

With that size lawn I would go Robotic and then have time to ride my bike.
    The dealer will fit the guide wire as part of the purchase. You will need a bigger machine than you can get in B&Q, Argos.

Disclaimer: I work for one of the companies that makes all versions of lawnmowers.

househusband

…I’d go with a top of the range Husqvarna mulch mower, neater cut than with a ride on without having to collect and dispose of the grass as you do with a regular lawn mower…

Interesting advice; we’re moving to a house wit a MUCH bigger lawn and our Honda petrol mower is somewhat small for the size….

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

A ride on for 1250 square metres? Sounds a bit OTT to me, it would only take about 20 minutes . . .
    We have 4500 square metres and I have a 42″ cut 15.5HP ride on. Provided the grass is not too long it takes an hour or so. Strimming around the edges is the worst job (with a petrol strimmer).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lawn Mower Options – Robotic?’ is closed to new replies.