Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Laugh out loud reads.
  • Sandwich

The Throwback by Tom Sharp. It tickled my sense of humour, a sociopath on the loose. Proper LOL stuff.

neilthewheel

Bill Bryson…
    Life and times of the thunderbolt kid had me laughing so much I had to put the book down..

Me too. the bit about the fly in the soup in the diner almost made me have a seizure.
    Also try Secret Diary of Adrian Mole.
    Reggie Perrin by the late, great David Nobbs.
    1066 and All That.
    Anything by David Sedaris.

IHN

Let’s just say that Bill Bryson’s ‘Neither Here Nor There’ was the wrong choice to read whilst sitting in a hospital bed recovering from a hernia operation. Laughter and groinal stitches are a poor combination.

Russell96

Second the Picolax thread

BillMC

The Picolax thread made me laugh a lot as did Bill Bryson’s Travels in Small Town America.

gears_suck
    Free Member

This gave me a good chuckle. Unbelievable!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singlespeed-shaving

CheesybeanZ

Bill Bryson , A walk in the woods .

robdob
    Free Member

All the Bill Bryson travel books are funny, I still love them. The problem is the funny bits creep up on you so make you laugh out loud really suddenly in public places! Notes from a small island is perfection to me and makes me love Britain even more every time I read it.

Basil

Hello Sailor by Eric Idle

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, I’m a fan of Lord Harry Flashman too.

I always remember the one where he’s living with the Native Americans and impresses them with his horsemanship. They name him ‘he who rides faster than the wind’ and he is very impressed with this title until they shorten it to ‘windbreaker’.

Childish I know but I can’t help laughing at it.

gibby

Round Ireland with a fridge by Tony Hawks

BillMC

The Observer is claiming that Flann O’Brien’s ‘At Swim Two Birds’ is in the top 10 English language novels. It is very very funny indeed, particularly the biographical bits, but a bit more of a challenging read.

matt_outandabout

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nice one Matt but I suspect the cover is funnier than the content 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

THGTTG audiobook used to get me in trouble at work, others don’t like you to be happy 🙂

matt_outandabout

You clearly haven’t read it…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nope but now you are making me think I should check it. Is this a genuine recommendation?

avdave2

Adolf Hitler My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan and Bill Brysons Notes From a Small Island are two books that left me at times unable to breath and in physical pain with my eyes streaming.
    An effect almost as lethal as Monty Pythons funniest joke in the world used to disable the entire German army.

matt_outandabout

“I had a few days off work one September. I fancied Assynt, but then I have always fancied Assynt. If Assynt was a boy, I would have knocked him to the ground with a rugby tackle and pulled his trousers down years ago.”

Rubber_Buccaneer

I will take that as a yes 🙂

matt_outandabout

It is genuinely funny.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Robert Rankin’s ‘Brentford Trilogy’
    Cracking books…..all nine of them!

chiefgrooveguru

I almost died just reading out the toity jar” episode in Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I think part of the joy of Bill Bryson’s writing is he never seems like he’s trying to be funny. The mysterious instrument on the hire car dashboard with one needle which moved very slowly and another which appeared to barely move at all, in Notes From A Small Island is another fine one.

Rich_s

Viz Profanisaurus.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Laugh out loud reads.’ is closed to new replies.