Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Latex road tubes, worth the hassle?
  • jkomo

Do they make a difference? I don’t mind pumping them up every ride, or am I better off with regular light weight jobies?

prawny

They’re pretty good, I swapped to some after I upgraded my wheels, they don’t need pumping up every ride, maybe every two weeks, depends how picky you are about pressures. Improves the ride a tad too, and helps make an awesome noise with deep rims.

No punctures since I fitted them either.

HughStew

If you’re a climbing God, tussling for KoM with the pantheon of grimpeurs, fine. If, like me, you’re an overweight middle-aged bloke puffing up a slight incline, then no.

jkomo

I like the idea of the improved ride. From picking up the box in store they feel noticeably lighter.
    Also, they are green, so that’s good.

prawny

Just be careful fitting them they’re very flexible and easy to pinch.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re pretty good, I swapped to some after I upgraded my wheels, they don’t need pumping up every ride, maybe every two weeks,

Really? I pump up butyl ones more often than that, and have always found latex to need it every day or two.

Not a fan myself, I like Spesh Turbo tubes, lighter than standard, but barely any more expensive and no less durable.

prawny

Like I say, I’m not overly fussy over pressures. I’ve had mine over two years, ride normally once a week and certainly don’t pump them up every ride, cba.

When I was commuting I used butyl tubes, pumped them up once a month maybe or if I felt them a bit low.

tonyg2003

Fine for racing or special events. Very slightly better ride (good tyres make much more difference) and very slightly lighter (good tyres make much more difference). A very slight bit of a pain elsewhere. More so if you need to patch one out on a ride.

njee20
    Free Member

Like I say, I’m not overly fussy over pressures. I’ve had mine over two years, ride normally once a week and certainly don’t pump them up every ride, cba.

Most latex tubes I’ve seen will be absolutely flat in a week, not just ‘a little soft’…

Out of interest, why go for something like latex tubes, if you’re then going to ride them at whatever pressure they happen to end up at?

prawny

Mine must be speshul then, still rideable after a fortnight, wouldn’t risk it after three weeks. Standard Michelin ones.

I got latex tubes two years ago when I was a hardcore roadie, I was more picky about pressure then. Had light wheels top banana tyres and a shiny clean drivetrain too. More interested in my mtb now, but I’ve not needed to change tubes so I haven’t.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I use them for racing and they are on my best bike too. Use them with something like vittoria evo corsa cx or for nicely surfaced roads veloflex records. Without a doubt a nice ride, but not worth it for everyday riding where I just use butyl tubes and conti GP4000s

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

The main advantage of latex tubes is the lower rolling resistance, rather than any weight saved. £/w saved they’re probably one of the cheapest upgrades out there, various sources out there quoting a saving of between 3-6 watts.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Which latex tubes do folk use?

jono84
    Free Member

I use them vittoria latex tubes on my triathlon bike (6quid from ribble!) with mitchilen pro race3s, they do feel to have more spring in them and in return id say they have made me faster I have to pump them up every ride, they’ll drop to 60psi over a week probably 80/90 over 24hrs, if your racing or serious about your times id buy them if your just a social rider they could get pricey compared to planet x tubes at 1.99 each, altho ive not flatted on them yet ! , my advice for fitting them is take your time to make sure you don’t pinch them while fitting and try not to get your fingers all over them they don’t like the oil from your hands I covered mine in talc to stop this and also stop it sticking to the tire ….try them worth the gamble for 12quid surely? …..oh and carry a butyl spare as you don’t want to be buggering about trying to fit a latex tube on the side of the road

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not a fan myself, I too use the Spesh lightweight ones.

Reason?

Punctures.

I ride the South Downs which a strewn with flint/gravel and horse shite, I soooo cba’d with latex when a 5min stop fixing normal tubes gets me back in the saddle uber quick.

russyh
    Free Member

I use Michelin latex tubes, and agree with some of the above other than you will have to pump them every ride. I run 100psi and they drop about 20psi each day. But then I pump my standard tubes up daily as they drop around 5psi. In my opinion they are a worthy upgrade, given the cost is not great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Worthwhile, just a bit faffy, IMO conti supersonic butyl are 5g heavier and feel 90% as good. Now use michelin light butyl tubes, about 20g heavier again at 70g but they dont spontaneously fall appart.

If I raced Id use latex, but for everyday theyre a ballache too far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Latex road tubes, worth the hassle?’ is closed to new replies.