Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Latex inner tubes – worth a try?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Read they loose pressure, no problem as I top up every ride anyways. Reviews state a little bit lighter and more comfortable.

Anyone use them? Recommend a brand?

And patching – do normal patches/cement work

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, like them a lot. Use the Michelin ones here, mostly because there was an offer for a bulk buy at probikekit a while back. Reckon you need a decent supple tyre though or there’s not much point.

Apparently you can patch them using normal patches, though I think you can get special latex ones too. TBH I just bin the ones I puncture, doesn’t happen often. Carry a spare butyl one with normal patches just in case.

Can be a PITA to mount though, all to easy to get the tube pinched and have it explode a few minutes after you’ve inflated!

DT78
    Free Member

Wiggle have Vitoria ones on offer cheaper than conti supersonics I normally use. Was planning on using with ultremo zx as a light and fast summer setup.

Thanks for the tip about exploding!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Best upgrade/£ you can buy for a bike IMO. I find them easier to patch than butyl, fwiw. Less likely to puncture as well due to the more flexible compound.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip about exploding!

It’s why I carry a butyl one as a spare, just because of the risk when changing them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, I use them. I find the don’t puncture but eventually wear out.

Superficial
    Free Member

When they pinch (which probably happens more frequently than with normal tubes), they rip and are unrepairable IME. I wouldn’t use them on a mtb for this reason – but of course most people are tubeless these days anyway. I’ve fixed them with normal patches (thorns etc). On a roadie I see no problems but I’ve never used them for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Latex inner tubes – worth a try?’ is closed to new replies.