• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Latex inner tube
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m going to Spain next week and have bought a latex inner tube which I’m hoping will help with the thorns.
    I’ve fitted it to the wheel, the valve comes through the hole in the rim but there is a gap between the valve and hole. Won’t dirt/grit/thorns/water etc get in that way and cause a puncture? Or am I missing something? Or just worrying too much?
    Any help much appreciated!

cloudnine
    Free Member

How will a latex tube help with thorns?

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m not exactly sure but I read a review on CRC!
    Anyone able to help…?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Best thing for thorns is, in my experience, a slime liner. They’re hard enough to stop them reaching the tube but a ball ache to fit

ThePilot
    Free Member

Thanks mrbelowski but I’m going on Wednesday so no time to get anything new and I paid 14e for the tube so I’m going to damn well use it!
    I’ll report back as to how I get on.

wiggles
    Free Member

Slightly different to most scenarios of lads stocking up on latex products before a holiday in Spain…

chrisdw
    Free Member

Stans sealant in a normal tube for thorns.
    Latex I think is supposed to be more pinch resistant. They aren’t.

Go tubeless.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Go tubeless.

MSP

I’ve fitted it to the wheel, the valve comes through the hole in the rim but there is a gap between the valve and hole

schrader rim presta valve?

Deveron53
    Free Member

+1 go tubeless. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKLB8ah0v3Y[/video]

Latex tubes are a total waste of time. I used them in the 80s, they were supposed to be better than butyl. They weren’t/aren’t. Normal patch kits don’t stick. Send the tubes back to CRC for a refund.

buy 2 Schwalbe BMX inner tubes with Schrader valves, make them into rim strips, mount your tyres, pour 3 cups of sealant in each tyre, go to a garage, inflate with an airline – bingo! Tubeless!

ThePilot
    Free Member

Oh dear, seems like I’ve made a bit of a boob there (ties in nicely with wiggles post). I’m going to give it a go, got some other tubes and sealant which I’ll take with me. Wish me luck and thanks for your help 🙂

bob_summers

Sure they didn’t recommend latex (solution) *filled* tube?
    Latex tubes are a nicer ride on the road but you’d not notice off road. And when they get a punture they go like a popped balloon. There’s no riding along for half an hour thinking the tyre’s starting to feel a bit soft. A lot harder to fit witout pinching them under the bead than butyls.

steviecapt
    Free Member

ive used latex tubes for the past year on my mountain bike, only had 1 puncture in that time, which was easily fixed in 10 mins with a mormal patch kit, so i would recommend them no probs, only thing is they loose air over a few days, so you will have to top the presure up, apart from that, they are lighetr than normal tubes 113 grams, and i dont get so many punctures, though i do have them pumped to 36 psi.

TiRed

Normal patch kits don’t stick

Nonsense. Gluing a patch to a latex tube is much easier than butyl.

Regarding the hole – was it a Schrader valve hole and a presta valve? That would leave a big gap. Latex tubes are very flexible and can creep out of small holes and go bang! One of my presta road rims is a loose fit so I wrapped a little tape around the stem to stop a rattle.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Latex inner tube’ is closed to new replies.