Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • latest US butchery of English language
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they don’t have a chip on their shoulder

Shouldn’t that be french fry ?

And btw the English don’t appear to have a problem with anyone “stealing their language”, in fact I think you’ll find that the general consensus is “why isn’t everyone speaking it ?”

molgrips
    Free Member

Freedom fry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    Is now the right time to point out the so called malapropism above isn’t one

Which one?

Oh why not, even more so if you CBA backing it up.

lilchris
    Free Member

Burglarize always gets my goat

The bastard!

Did you get it back in the end?

clubber
    Free Member

the English don’t appear to have a problem with anyone “stealing their language”

We don’t mind people using our language. We don’t like people messing with it (aka stealing it)…

Freedom Fry is newspeak, not a language issue per se IMO…

grum
    Free Member

Aren’t quite a lot of ‘Americanisms’ actually older versions of the language than the versions we use? Eg ‘ize’ endings to words.

sbob
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Forsooth languages shall not change or evolve.

Slow hand clap for the predictable stock response.

Change and evolution are not bad things.
    Devolution is.

Ps. took the apostrophe out for you, makes it easier to understand, which, by Jove, is the very point of language! 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Freedom Fry is newspeak

What’s “newspeak” ? Spell check doesn’t recognize it…… sounds like a made up word to me.

scuttler

With a name like Travis Tygartt he should be entitled to come out with made-up shit like that. If he was called Rupert Carruthers he’d of course have to be put in the stocks.

aP
    Free Member

Well, when I was studying in the US and was required to take an English elective, the (conveniently Anglophile) Professor said that English is changing quickest at its origin point (Britain), actually. Like.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s “newspeak” ?

Ah, but that’s a word made up by someone else in a book so by using it they let everyone know they’re clever.

Which is what I just did by pointing it out 😉

aP
    Free Member

I thought ‘Freedom Fries’ came from the same place as ‘cheese eating surrender monkeys’?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Simpsons ?

ourmaninthenorth

Aren’t quite a lot of ‘Americanisms’ actually older versions of the language than the versions we use? Eg ‘ize’ endings to words.

Generally. TBH, I;ve seen the use of -ize drop with the rise of PC usage. As spell checkers have defaulted to one or the other, British English has slipped almost completely into -ise.

I was at school in the 80s and 90s and -ize was still prevalent and is my default to this day.

For the hysterical up there, try reading Bill Bryson’s book Mother Tongue. It might get you off your high horses….

nicko74

they don’t have a chip on their shoulder

now when you say ‘chip’, do you mean crisp, or freedom fry?

It matters!

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘latest US butchery of English language’ is closed to new replies.