Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Latest Steel 29r HT crush – Swarf Cycles
  • tang
    Free Member

I met these nice guys while working at bespoked last year, Adrian’s beautiful Curve FS rightly won new builder award. Anyway, I’ve been eyeing his latest HT builds, kind of where I would like my Niner MCR to go; slacker, dropper, internal routing.
    [/url]10842203_753975364682727_522957040983354605_o by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

And this ‘Adventure’ 29r frame, custom dropouts with eyelets and some on the stays.
    [/url]10432148_749773491769581_8526623508955651462_n by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

Gotama
    Free Member

Where are you seeing the info as there isn’t anything on their website?

tang
    Free Member

Facebook

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattjg
    Free Member

kind of where I would like my Niner MCR to go; slacker, dropper, internal routing.

That’s a ROS9, no?

Nice looking bike up there though I think they need a way to differentiate themselves fro Stanton. Hope they do well.

tang
    Free Member

ROS is lovely, but a bit too much for my needs, the Swarf is a bit leaner(853) and no ebb or downtime bend. Solaris territory, but prettier!
    The Curve is a really the stand out bike. Unusual to find small builders who have a composites background and the tooling to make their own moulds as well as weld.

takisawa2

Slightly slacker but keeping the ride & feel of the SIR / MCR…now that would be nice. 🙂

Thinking of a re-jig at the back to run a 29+ when my SIR needs a re-paint.
    Not sure if that’s possible though.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah it’s defo a bit more svelte looking than a ROS9. What’s the CS length?

Gotama
    Free Member

Certainly looks lovely. If its the same as their other hardtail there seems to be an element of custom to it which could be interesting, particularly if they can fit some paragon sliding dropouts for singlespeed options. Personally wouldn’t have front mech on there but I guess that can be ‘customised’ as well. Interesting.

bedfo
    Free Member

Hey all its Adrian here from Swarf, I’m usually a lurker on here but thought I add a bit of info to this. Cheers for the comments!!

Chainstay length on the red frame is 435, top tube 585, SA 75 and head angle 67.5 degrees (angles are based on it sagged 25%) Its built around 120mm fork and so far seems to go really nicely. I’ll probably spend a few weeks razzing it about and when I’m happy its good I’ll make this available with this geometry.

The adventure frame is very similar but is built around a 100mm fork and has a 70 degree head angle with 74 degree seat angle….

Both use 853 front ends and columbus rear ends.

Adrian

Edit! dropouts and geometry are all be easy to change if required!

amedias
    Free Member

Updates from Swarf, BTR, and other builders are the highlight of my FB feed, certainly beats all the babies, weddings, and “OMG look at my dinner!” posts…

Have been drooling over the rear hose exit on the red frame for a couple of days, even my GF was impressed with it!

NormalMan

Really nice looking bike. I’m a real big fan of 29er HT’s. Although I agree with Mattjg that it could do looking a little less like a Stanton to give it more brand identity.

bedfo
    Free Member

And I was worried it’d look too much like a Cotic! Its really hard to try keep it unique when really the only thing to make it individual is the paint job. All steel hardtails look similar in one way or another! I’ve always liked the white band and this frame is my own personal one so I went for it 🙂

weeksy

Looks lovely mate.

adsh
    Free Member

The adventure looks very similar to a Curtis XC9.

jameso

I agree with Mattjg that it could do looking a little less like a Stanton to give it more brand identity.

Cherry red and lower-DT logo position has been used before anyway. Doesn’t look similar to me aside from the seat stay / seat tube join but I guess that’s what makes the RD cable route work – can’t see the detail to be sure. And these are UK-made right, whereas the Stantons are from TW?
    Cable routing is really neat, looks great in every way.

NormalMan

bedfo – Member
    And I was worried it’d look too much like a Cotic! Its really hard to try keep it unique when really the only thing to make it individual is the paint job. All steel hardtails look similar in one way or another! I’ve always liked the white band and this frame is my own personal one so I went for it

Fair comment. I just am going by my gut reaction when I saw the pic, then seeing someone else say the exact same thing.
    Any more pics?

As I said, I’m a 29er ht fan. I have a Cotic ironically!

Gotama
    Free Member

67.5 sagged? That seems awful slack. 66 degree static at 120mm. Be interesting to hear your thoughts on that. Are there any downsides to a slack head angle apart from slightly ponderous steering on slow speed twisty stuff?

Edit: Oh and fair play for coming on here. Always adds extra credit in my eyes when bike designers/ manufacturers come on and stand up for/explain their designs and the thinking behind them.

mattjg
    Free Member

@bedfo good job keep it up

tang
    Free Member

You should see the carbon full wrap mudguards he makes, lovely.

bedfo
    Free Member

Not figured out linking pictures on forums but there are loads more pictures of it during the build on my facebook page including some detail on the internal routing.

https://www.facebook.com/SwarfCycles

There are also pictures on my instagram feed, @swarfcycles and I’m also on the twitter (although I just don’t get it!) @swarfcycles again….

Cheers

A

NormalMan

Thanks Adrian.

Some lovely attention to detail. All the very best with it.

bedfo
    Free Member

[67.5 sagged? That seems awful slack. 66 degree static at 120mm]

Well yes I guess it is pretty slack for a wagon wheeler. However I’m used to a 65 degree 130mm travel full suss bike (27.5 wheels) which is probably more like 64 by the time I’m sat on it. I wanted it to feel similar to sit on (chainstay length, reach stack and wheelbase are all pretty close). First impressions are that the 29er seems good at this number, I cant say I ever worry about (either bike) wandering on the climbs or feeling ponderous on tight stuff. I think its something you get used to. I was quite pleased how nice the 29er feels in terms of the fun factor, I was expecting it to be a bit dull but so far I’ve I found it great fun. Looking forward to getting my head back into hardtail mode…… It’s only had a couple of outings so far so early days still.

Front mech is a mistake! Its clattery and even with the roller the chain drops when I backpedal (which I obviously do a lot!) when switching between turns.

A

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Seen this on my FB feed, love the internal cable routing, would be great to see the dropper have complete internal routing too! Loving the full susser updates as well, and to echo the above by Amedias, post moar pics, it’s great seeing ’em pop on the FB feed!

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting and fair enough re handling. Will follow on twitter/instagram with interest as one of these could be just the ticket with some nice blingy adjustable dropouts for ss options.

bedfo
    Free Member

@monkeyfudger It’s not possible with a tapered fork to go in through the headtube and into the downtube for dropper routing, I wouldn’t be keen on cutting an entry hole in the down tube…. There is barely space on the 1 1/8th section of steerer at the top to fit the plumbing! In theory with a straight 1 1/8th steerer is is possible, there’s just space where the seat tube and down tube meet to run the brass internal tubing. Would be the ultimate in stealth 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

IMO it’s hard to see that internal routing is worth complicating (or compromising) a frame design for. My Canfield is all external, just 1 line of guides, zip tie up what you want. For an inveterate fettler it’s really convenient.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Latest Steel 29r HT crush – Swarf Cycles’ is closed to new replies.