Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Latest Singletrack mag – Northumberland routes
  • cinnamon_girl

Drac will know. 😀

OK, the 'hard' route – thought the opposite direction was the classic? At least it was a few years ago when I rode/walked it, according to one of the mags anyway. So … million dollar question .. which is best and why?

Pic (b & w) on main page – is this Davidson's Linn? And again on p118? I heard the bridge had been washed away not too long ago.

Barrowburn Tea Room – excellent place and what a huge slab of cake they serve. 🙂

Did enjoy the article and just wish I was back there again, such a beautiful place.

carbon337
    Free Member

Think I'm walking up there tomorrow, tea room visit too!

cinnamon_girl

Lucky you! Have a good day.

rOcKeTdOg

Will be there next month, cake ahoy!

cinnamon_girl

You touring England at the mo' then rOcKeTdOg? Didn't you post a pic of the Sandbanks ferry?

Let me know if you want some route ideas!

cinnamon_girl

Just a wee bumpity bump in case Drac or any other locals didn't see this thread. 🙂

Thank you so much!

Drac

It is the classic route your right and I've used it too many time previous for other mags, so changed the route slightly. The plan for all the routes was to fit the excellent tea rooms in this wasn't possible for the easy one though.

The B+W is is Fairhaugh but yes 118 is Davidon's Linn well spotted, there's not been a bridge there for years that one appeared recently probably with the last year or so I'd say.

Barrowburn is most excellent epic portions huge pots of coffee and free refills.

Which is best way, none they're both excellent but as a descent that takes you back to the car rather finishing on the road, it just takes it. And it can be altered to climb up the street and return the street.

Enjoy Rocketdog we're rather lucky up here. The odd showers we've had haven't even dampened the ground yet.

Oh and cheers for bump was on night last night.

househusband

Think that's one ride I'll be doing sometime soon! Not too far away either… but that'll mean entering Englandshire!

Xylene
    Free Member

Barrowburn Tea Room – excellent place and what a huge slab of cake they serve

Cake…….I love cake.

Just getting into exploring Northumberland properly. Never had the chance when I used to live here and now I do, it's better than I thought.

Plus lots of cake.

rOcKeTdOg

You touring England at the mo' then rOcKeTdOg? Didn't you post a pic of the Sandbanks ferry?

Let me know if you want some route ideas

yes please (mudeford ferry actually, but same county)

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much Drac. 8)

Shackleton

Is the bit through the foresty plantation (Hazely law to Bleakhope) now passable? 2 years ago it was knee deep mud and unrideable. The bit after was a bit of tedious slog too in a big rut (going clockwise)!

FOG

Was in the Barrowburn Tea room yesterday and Ian and Eunice let on that the ST team visited every day they were doing the route guide! Good choice though chaps!
    Second the question about the track throgh the forest down to Davidson's Linn. I didn't do it this time but the last time I couldn't ride it due to massive bike swallowing muddy ruts.

Drac

It's a wide track now looks like a grouse shooting road is going in it picks up about half way through the moor at current. No longer bogged down, two years ago remember it was horrible weather and we had some of the worst floods on record.

Quirrel it's a cracking part of the country.

carbon337
    Free Member

FOG me too – quite a bit of action going on in the Otterburn range.

Drac

Was in the Barrowburn Tea room yesterday and Ian and Eunice let on that the ST team visited every day they were doing the route guide! Good choice though chaps!

That statement is 100% correct.

paul4stones

I fell off that Fairhaugh bridge exit a few years ago (first outing with SPDs) and I remember it being much higher than it looks in the pic.

Drac

I nearly did during one of the photo shoots and yeah it's a good drop.

Drac

Did a road ride on Sunday from home up to Barrowburn cracking ride and tremendous cake, all the cakes so far have been superb but don't forget the bacon butties although they will slow you down there's a lot of bacon in them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Latest Singletrack mag – Northumberland routes’ is closed to new replies.