Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Latest Photorealistic MTB Artwork
  • Hi All

Hope you like my latest photorealistic pencil artwork called ‘A Big Shock To Some’. Graphite and Black Coloured Pencil on Lambeth Cartridge paper 1000x700mm. 10 months spent on this. I will be doing prints if anyone might be interested. Details still to be confirmed.The photos aren’t brilliant quality due to low light etc – so will update when I get it scanned.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

letmetalktomark

That messes with my melon man 😯

Amazing stuff 8)

weeksy

Very impressive.

bazhall
    Free Member

That is very cool

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Brilliant work.

I’m intrigued why you pick MTB bits as a subject? I’m guessing the answer is that’s what interests you which is 100% reason enough but it feels very niche.

theotherjonv

Amazing stuff, messes with my head too, not least the idea of the time taken to get it just like a photo and then doing prints of it, gets me into a circular internal discussion i can’t quite resolve (but I like)

I mean, i could (I assume) get a high quality photo of a shock for a fraction of the price of the original and in a fraction of the time, but then it wouldn’t be a pencil drawing. But then a print of a pencil drawing that is virtually indistinguishable from the photo of the same…… but you know the original image is still an amazing 10mo of work, so the print takes on an added dimension as a result. But without knowing the backstory it looks like a cool photo of a shock….. aaarrrgggghhhhh!

You have skillz and patience, that’s for sure.

@muppetwrangler – thanks. I guess I first chose a component as I wanted to do a still life after many portraits, and, yes, I am obviously interested in mountain biking. The componentry often looks very cool so seemed a good subject. Then one piece led to two further pieces. I will most likely revert to drawing something organic for the next piece.

@theotherjonv – thanks.Interesting topic. This is why art is so great because it is so subjective. If you saw the original piece you would be able to tell it is a pencil piece (I think) and that gives it something more than a photo. Difficult to describe why.

Cheers for all comments.

theotherjonv

for sure – didn’t mean to sound critical, apologies if it did, I was reflecting more on the amazement of the ability and the ‘why?’ which i find almost as fascinating as the art itself. Whenever I’ve seen real life photorealistic (an ex work colleague does insects in amazing detail) I love the fact that you can’t tell them from photos but somehow you can if that makes sense.

I guess it’s sort of the same as eg: walking to the south pole….. you could go on skidoos and then take the same photo, but it’s the fact you walked that makes it really special as opposed to just being there, that’s what i mean by the back story. Even if a print is indistinguishable from a photo, you would still know.

nickc

Blimey, that is impressive!!

@theotherjonv – no offence taken whatsoever. Love the discussion. And nothing wrong with criticism at all. I’m thick skinned and any constructive criticism can only be helpful.
    I see your angle – yes, I love the fact I can do this, as most people would. At times it’s a real pain in the arse working on these, but the end result is always in my mind and I love it when I finish a piece. I do think you need to see drawings in the flesh to appreciate them. It probably looks more realistic in the poor quality photos above than it does in real life, but it looks much better in real life, in my opinion!! 🙂 Thanks for the comments!

hodgynd
    Free Member

That looks amazing .
    Very envious of your talent !

Kamakazie

Amazing work as always!

newrobdob
    Free Member

How do you do it? Thinking in particular how you light the shock to ensure it’s consistent every time you look at it – do you take photos too? Do you have a magnifying glass to pick out the small detail you can transfer to the paper?

It’s an amazing artwork and fascinating at the same time.

Euro
    Free Member

That’s fantastic Mark. I googled your name and looked at your instagram stuff. Again, awesome stuff.

Ok, now i’ve buttered you up a bit 😀 i do have criticism (of sorts). I’d love to see you do something where you let your imagination go a bit. You have the skills to create something truly mind bending (thinking along the lines of Maurits Cornelis Escher).

maxlite
    Free Member

Amazing artwork, the commitment to one image is so impressive. What grade pencils do you use?

chipps

I do wonder why you’d spend ten months doing an amazing drawing and then show a photo that was taken in bad light…

Great picture though. Let’s see it in better light please!

Thank you everyone for kind comments.

@newrobdob – I took a number of reference photos myself playing around with lighting. when I had a pic I liked, I then use a monitor screen to view it and zoom in and out to pick up details.

@euro – good point. The creativity is the hard part. I did a few earlier pieces with mtb riders superimposed. Many comments I had them said they would rather just the component. It’s always going to be very subjective but I take your point and agree to an extent.

@maxlite – all grades from 6B to 5h on this piece, plus black coloured pencil.

@Chipps – I was so pleased and excited to finish last night that I couldnt wait! I will be putting a better image up in due course. 🙂

tomhoward

I’m more a fan of pens TBH, as you can see with my effort.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2396uVD]Shock illustration[/url] by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

The spring slipped when I was drawing it, so its super accurate…

DezB
    Free Member

How much for a print, Tom?

Brilliant work, Mark. Remember your stuff from previous postings. Excellent stuff.

chakaping
    Free Member

Respect is due.

You realise you’ll have to rub a bit out and make it “metric” fitting now though? Nobody’s gonna buy it otherwise.

😉

wwaswas

Tom – you have too much time on your hands with that foot injury.

Also, were you holding the pen with your bad toe?

tomhoward

Sorry Dez, photocopier is broken. And the original is worthpriceless

Great work Mark, I’m always amazed by photorealistic drawings. got any others you want to share?

stumpy01

Ha, love it! I wouldn’t even know where to start!!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Until i read the rest of the thread I thought you’d actually drawn the chap on the right of the photo…..
    Hmm, not a bad effort I thought.

blader1611
    Free Member

Mark, that is incredible, i am not going to even think about the who,what,why and how as i would rather just look in awe at it. Cracking stuff fella, chapeau indeed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time someone posted photorealism on here they were accused of flat-out lying.

legend
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    You realise you’ll have to rub a bit out and make it “metric” fitting now though? Nobody’s gonna buy it otherwise.

and it should’ve been a DHX2 – that picture is barely ENDURO!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Fantastic stuff-nicely done.

DezB
    Free Member

got any others you want to share?

Just google him – Mark Everson pencil art. eg Bike Radar feature

Looks like he can do it in colour too! Amazin’! 😉

tomhoward

I was so pleased and excited to finish last night that I couldnt wait! I will be putting a better image up in due course.

Missed this, how did you know it was finished? Obvs mine was when I wrote FOX on it, but at what point do you look at something so detailed, and say ‘yep, done’ or will you always be making little tweaks?

Euro
    Free Member

@euro – good point. The creativity is the hard part. I did a few earlier pieces with mtb riders superimposed. Many comments I had them said they would rather just the component. It’s always going to be very subjective but I take your point and agree to an extent.

I saw those, liked the tabletop over the chain links. Was thinking more this type of thing maybe…Bike head

Give men a shout in 10 months when you’ve finished 😆

AlexSimon

Hmm – this pic from that article speaks volumes!

Thanks everyone :D! great comments and good banter! Thanks for sharing previous stuff DezB. TomHoward – wish I could draw mine as quickly as you drew yours! They are never finished, you just have to stop yourself. I will be constantly tweaking until it goes to the printers.

Euro – I do like that idea…but 10 months will just about be the outline!!! 😛

therag
    Free Member

You know I’m going to need one to accompany my other one! Put my name down please.

@therag – will put your name down.

Drac

That is just incredible.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Let me know again Mark. Love my chain links.

Hi Eddie – will put you down as a maybe. Remind me your contact info please!

therag
    Free Member

Cheers mate, I’ll ring you tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Latest Photorealistic MTB Artwork’ is closed to new replies.