Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Latest generation VAG headlights – any good?
  • rone

The thing that is putting the OH off Skoda and Seat is the rubbish headlights on our previous two Skodas.

On the fabia 2013 Fabia they were abysmal.

2016 Yeti absolutely stunning. Projector/Led and amazing even on dip. Father has standard lights will check how they shape up.

Night and Day. 🙂

dawson

The sharp cut-off on my Toyota Verso is distracting to the point of being dangerous on undulating country roads. When pointing downhill, you can’t see up the hill in front of you until you actually start going up the hill.

mmannerr

Most mfgrs have decreased the range on xenon and led lights over the years. Nordic car magazines test the driving lights properly and early 90s lights which use combination of halogen and xenon are still kings for range.
    Led and xenons seem very powerful but most tend to put out bright spot near the car which reduces the visibility at the far end.
    Other unwelcome developments include driving lights which are easily covered in snow – led and xenons put out so little heat that snow melts just enough to stick to lens but not enough to melt it away.

isto
    Free Member

My wife has a Seat Ateca with the full Led’s and they are crazy bright. I have an Octavia VRS with the xenons and they are a vast improvement over the standard lights my previous Octavia had. Whilst not as bright as the Led’s on my wife’s car they are bright enough and are pretty clever with the directional lighting.

bowglie

Quick update. We’ve had demos of Xenon equipped Yetis, Octavia and LED equipped Leon. Very close call between Leon and Octavia, but the latter comes with auto lights with the ‘intelligent’ options (directional beam and auto dipping from full). Also preferred the more Golf-esque dash and interior lights of the Skoda to the Leon – and the lower mileage and £1200 cheaper price helped too! The Xenons are in a different league to the halogens in our Mk2 Octavia.

CountZero

It isn’t something that can be adjusted either since they are self-levelling (so I don’t quite follow CountZero’s post above about setting them a bit higher).

Didn’t know about the auto-levelling on the LED’s, actually, a lot of cars have a little scroll-wheel that allows the beam to be raised and lowered, I guess for load variations, and which has helped on some cars, although the Merc A180 with the abysmal lights just couldn’t be improved on.
    I guess the few cars I’ve driven with Xenon/LED lights have been set up in such a way that I’ve been able to drive in the dark with few issues.

Cougar

I’ve just got a new (face-lift) Octavia. Dunno what tech they are but the headlights are great. The reversing lights however are toilet.

tjagain

From my experience of newish hire cars most headlights are set far too low. Getting them checked with MOT type equipment will only tell you if they are too high not too low

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The reversing lights however are toilet

Same as the Leon. There’s only reversing light and it seems to be powered by candles.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Latest generation VAG headlights – any good?’ is closed to new replies.