Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Latest Daily Mail cycling rant
  • Here

Knowing this hill in Poole quite well, I was only disappointed in that they didn't do the downhill side. 40mph is easily achievable and its satisfying to trigger the speed indicator device they install.

Busy road though.

westkipper
    Free Member

This has been qite widely reported.
    Its funny, I wouldn't know where to ride on this road. 😉
    I make it my general policy to stay well outside of cyclelanes

brakes
    Free Member

she does require a wide berth though

naokfreek
    Free Member

Own the road with bombers….

mr_mills
    Free Member

Her fat arse is taking up more road than that car. Damn must type faster.

markd
    Free Member

There are sections on the North Deeside Road in Aberdeen like that.

Actually narrower lane than the car width. Inspired.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

was this a storey about the tw*t who bought a Rav 4?

westkipper
    Free Member

Is that an approval or a disapproval markd?
    I honestly think that roads would be better off if they did (as some have suggested on other sites), and put a big cycle symbol six feet wide across every road in the country.
    If they have to put stupid cyclelanes in though, one this wide is actually a start. 🙄

markd
    Free Member

Neither really. As a driver and a cyclist i find it weird that some towns do the extreme one way and others don't do anything at all.

I approve of any cycle/special user/bus lane systems though unless they are patently daft

These just look daft rather than being daft. They help massively in allowing people with appalling spatial awareness actually think about where they are riding/driving.

westkipper
    Free Member

I've yet to see any cyclelane that advantages a confident entirely road-legal cyclist.
    The rants over this particular lane relate to driver stupidity over what they're aloud to cross/not cross.
    The picture is fairly bad too, as the cyclist is yielding way too much space to the car, making the layout look stupider than it actually is.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Robert Mugabe.

jonb
    Free Member

Cycle lane or not I'd say she's a bit too close to the kerb.

Interesting idea though. Get's people thinking and talking about the issue which is a good thing.

miketually
    Free Member

Actually narrower lane than the car width. Inspired.

The car has 11 feet of road space without crossing the centre line.

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm not so sure about it being a valuable debate-starter, jonb, I think the OUTRAGE!(TM, Daily Mail) over this will convince the choobs in the local authority/ highway engineers to go back to the 30cm strip-of-paint design that they're so fond of.

westkipper
    Free Member

Exactly, mike, a broken line means precisely ***k all where so-called cyclelanes are concerned.

markd
    Free Member

The car has 11 feet of road space without crossing the centre line.

Yes i am aware of that. It's the visual weirdness that is the 'problem'.
    Make sense?

They can obviously use the whole road side but the proportion afforded to each lane based on the type of vehicle is odd – the highway code does allow riders the courtesy of being the size of a car overtaking but this lane marking seems a little heavy handed almost.

miketually
    Free Member

Yes i am aware of that. It's the visual weirdness that is the 'problem'.
    Make sense?

Totally.

I'd leave out the centre line and put a dotted bike lane on the other side too.

westkipper
    Free Member

It could be argued though, that the space is being allocated according to the vulnerability of the road-user, and not merely the car width?
    edit, I'm being a devils advocate here, I'm firmly in the cycle-facility hater demographic.

markd
    Free Member

It could be indeed.

The trouble is… your average Daily Mail reader is the problem.

miketually
    Free Member

If it was a 'normal' car rather than a 4×4 in that pic, and the cyclist was riding where she should be, the lane widths would look fine.

angryratio
    Free Member

The lines are not a physical barrier, merely a guide and reminder that bikes require space.

Strangelove
    Free Member

40mph is easily achievable

Bah, my best is 38.8mph. I need to up-gear my singlespeed 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

They're advisory markings. Drivers should learn their highway code before complaining.

Bah, my best is 38.8mph. I need to up-gear my singlespeed

Problem with that road is that its so busy, all you can usually do is keep up with the traffic. Now that cars on the other side are coming up in the middle of the road, there's less room to take the bends at speed.

Dunno when that photo was taken, 7am on a Sunday I guess.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Latest Daily Mail cycling rant’ is closed to new replies.