Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Latest build!
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Resurrected an old Team Bow frame and built it up as a rigid SS. Off out to test round the Peaks this evening. Flame away!

There is space to try it out as a 69er, may even be room for a 650b on the back.

(and the dandelions are part of my wild flower garden/lawn/drive 😀 )

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

how heavy? sub 9kg?

geoffj

Nice that – magic ratio too?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s 34/18 with one of Tazzie’s wibbly rings – voodoo stuff but they do work.

schmiken

Looks brilliant!

ssboggy

Nice, except for the bar ends and risers 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Nice.

What’re these Tazzie wibbly rings of which you speak? Got a link to some more info?

dannybgoode

Looks mint – the green, white and black gel in a way that they almost shouldn’t.

How’s it ride?

Cheers

Danny B

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just back from a couple of hours testing on the local hills – it’s really nice to ride a rigid bike again.
    Weight I don’t know will weight it in the morning.
    Risers and bar ends – not sure I could get up anything in the Peaks without the latter.
    Tazzie’s wobbly rings are similar to the old Biopace rings but they work.Wibbly Rings

This is my lad catching up with his old dad on top of the moors behind Bradwell Edge and Abney!!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Love it. Great day for a first ride on it too.

Duffer
    Free Member

Tazzie’s wobbly rings are similar to the old Biopace rings but they work

How do they affect chain tension?

Looks like an ace ride out! I’ve been enjoying Singlespeed for some time now; looks like the next step is Rigid!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s fine – the chain length never needs to vary as the amount of tension remains constant. When the longest axis of the ellipsoidal ring is at the front it is smaller on its shortest axis at the front the longer axis is vertical which maintains the tension, – sounds all wrong but it works beautifully. (Think I missed a career in teaching, that’s clear as mud! :D)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Another pic from the top of the moors:

I_Ache
    Free Member

Why are they referred to as Tazzie’s rings?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Something to do with the shape I suspect! 😯

Duffer
    Free Member

It’s fine – the chain length never needs to vary as the amount of tension remains constant. When the longest axis of the ellipsoidal ring is at the front it is smaller on its shortest axis at the front the longer axis is vertical which maintains the tension, – sounds all wrong but it works beautifully.

I get it now; thanks. I was thinking it was offset, like a cam.

Sounds interesting. That said, i’ve had no problems with circular chainrings thus far…

knightrider
    Free Member

nice

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@PeaslakeDave – 10kg/22lbs according to our Salter scales.
    The weight weenie-ing can now start in earnest.

takisawa2

Nice work OP, plus its green & green bikes rule.

A “Tazzie” wobble ring…

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr

It would be cool to say they are named after a mythical riding god from the badlands of North Staffs, but the reality is that Tazzie (from here) struck up a deal with Goldtec, going out of his way for his fellow sillytrackworld brethren. The chain does actually go tight/loose/tight/loose, but it’s not really a problem. I’m a convert. They even out the power delivery, especially on a singlespeed. And they last really well too. There was talk of a Ti version but not sure if that got off the ground. Tazzie reckoned on going 1 or 2 teeth bigger than normal, so I went 33/18 on my ferris wheeler.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Latest build!’ is closed to new replies.