Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Lateral play in zesty rear triangle
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Noticed that if I grab the back end of the zesty with one hand and hold the seat tube with the other I can feel play in the rear triangle when I move it side to side.

Cartridge bearings don’t tend to develop lateral movement so I am trying to deduce why. I have checked all the bolts and they are all torqued up correctly.

Do these frames have bushings that require periodic replacement?

Thanks

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are the chainstay pivots bushings rather than bearings? Put your fingers at each pivot point (perhaps with another person to help) and do the same waggle and see if you can feel movement.

If a bearing is totally shot then you may get some side to side movement.

Checked the shock bush?

dan314
    Free Member

Yes they do, and it sounds like they need replacing. I had the same problem and found this handy guide (I know it’s a Spicy but it’s exactly the same kit and procedure for the Zesty) and replaced them which cured the rear end play https://sites.google.com/site/rtbmtb/home/rear-bushings-spicy

I got the bushing kit from welovelapierre.com

flanagaj
    Free Member

Given it states “If the back end of your Spicy develops a creaking sound when the suspension is compressing” which is exactly what I had on the ride yesterday it sounds like a service is in order.

Thanks dan314 for the link

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

If your back end is QR check the tightness of the QR I had problem with the carbon wearing and causing the wheel to become loose. Tighten the QR a bit tighter and try again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lateral play in zesty rear triangle’ is closed to new replies.