Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Later with Jools…
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Anyone else watching the Beach Boys (or what’s left of them) on Later with Jools singing California Girls, it just seems a bit, well, creepy.

cinnamon_girl

Yep. 😯 Old blokes in bad shirts looking and sounding ridiculous!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Blimey it’s a real old bloke fest – now Mr Country Life and PiL, at least he’s as good as ever!

cinnamon_girl

Do they have anything new to offer musically? Sorry but not watching the programme now.

mt
    Free Member

if someone wants to pay to see you doing what you were once good at when you are past it then I’ll agree but as they have survived this far give them a break. Mr Rotten was good to. Muse, ace.

MussEd
    Free Member

Rotten can foxtrot Oscar, absolute tit. The lead guitarist in The Beach Boys looked like an actual exhumed corpse! So much so my wife switched over…btw did the Muse bassist have an iPad built into his instrument?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Good as usual. bit of old and new. PiL I’m not sure about, altho thought they were good once upon a time.

Do they have anything new to offer musically? Sorry but not watching the programme now.

No

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just flicked over to see them. How many guitars making no discernible noise??

CountZero

Gonna record the Friday one, then I can ffwd through the boring bits.

bikebouy
    Free Member

PiL most excellent.
    Muse, Phah Durge. Whadafusabout.
    Beach Boys, erm…

cinnamon_girl

Apologies, I was asking whether the Beach Boys had anything new musically.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I know, No! 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Well, I always thought they were really dull! Who wants clean-cut when the Rolling Stones were around. 8)

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Muse bassist isn’t the best bassist in muse.

Northwind

I’m almost afraid to watch this in case Muse have gone as **** as I suspect they have.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t like Muse but I liked what they did on there, well thefirst track anyway, cos i liked the bass players touchpad thing. Shame it had to look like one of those **** double-neck geetarsfrom the 70s! Their second song was a bit ‘Muse does Chili Peppers’. Beach Boys? Pointless. PiL – not very interesting but at least Johnny’s making new stuff. XX were ok, in their own fragile little way. Can’t imagine seeing them live, I’d just want to sit in the corner and snooze. Bird with a piano and moustache needs to find an interesting genre of music to lend her obvious talents to, cos I’m afraid, love, the smokey jazz lounge singer tip has been done-to-death (literally, in some cases, eh Amy?).

cheese@4p

The Beach Boys have no need to present anything new. They are a piece of pop music history. I am not even a big fan but I know that they made some of the most elegant mind-blowing records of all time. It was amazing to see them together after all the ups and downs they have been through.

I also think PIL are brilliant.

Muse dont do it for me

So each to his own and bravo to Jools Holland as ever

sing1etrack

It was amazing to see them together after all the ups and downs they have been through.

Didn’t last long…….

scuzz
    Free Member

did the Muse bassist have an iPad built into his instrument?

No chance, it’s far better than that: a Kaoss Pad!
    The Beach Boys were very strange – they’d lost that upbeat vibe. Not that it really matters given their catalogue, but I half expected one of them to stop halfway through and ask where he was.

unklehomered
    Free Member

hmmm… I loved the early stuff muse did. they can rock like very few British bands… but not really sure they’re going now… “Hey muse where are you going?”

“We’re going over here.”

“Really? cos the last guys who rent over there, they didn’t come back, we never saw them again… Muse? hello muse?”

But then once they released Absolution, they kind of nailed that genre of rock once and for all, nothing more to do there, may as well go peculiar.

Beach Boys were embarrassing and cringe making…

scuzz
    Free Member

But then once they released Absolution, they kind of nailed that genre of rock once and for all, nothing more to do there, may as well go peculiar.

*nods*
    As a big fan of their early (pre-blackholes) stuff, everything they do now is met with an agreeable shrug and little grin. If they took it more seriously, I’d say they had disappeared up their own backsides, but they’ve always had an endearing sense of humour about it all.

DezB
    Free Member

The Beach Boys have no need to present anything new. They are a piece of pop music history
    Exactly. And that is where they should stay.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Whole muse album available to listen here;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/sep/24/muse-2nd-law-album-stream?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9383

I like it 🙂 Nice and different.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Beach Boys have no need to present anything new. They are a piece of pop music history. I am not even a big fan but I know that they made some of the most elegant mind-blowing records of all time. It was amazing to see them together after all the ups and downs they have been through.

+1 – would have liked to see it, but not if they were unveiling their new dubstep material.

kelvin

California Girls

They didn’t sing that, did they? Did I drop off?

PiL : That mandolin, or whatever it was, sounded AMAZING.

Muse : Fun.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

PiL : That mandolin, or whatever it was, sounded AMAZING.

I’ve seen him use it before (Lu whatever he’s called, from the Damned/Mekons), it’s a Saz, apparently.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Later with Jools…’ is closed to new replies.