Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Late to the party – discovering bands years after everyone else
  • ajantom

Just discovered Battles.
    Had heard of them 10+ years ago, but never actually heard them.
    Damn they’re good 🙂 first couple of albums just purchased.

Garry_Lager

Read that as the Beatles 🙂 [Saying that I’ve never sat down and listened to a Beatles album myself].

Got in to a lot of Phosphorescent’s stuff over the past year – great band but have been knocking stuff out for 10 years plus.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Helmet to Battles a natural progression. Great band I think they split or changed their line up a while back.

Northwind

2 weeks ago, I became a P!nk fan

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Coincidentally I actually discovered Battles before they were famous; saw them live the first time they played over here.

But I remember watching Top Gear one evening and their “Atlas” track featured; I was gutted to say the least. I never looked at them the same after that.

Didn’t bother with any of their albums after Mirrored either.

avdave2

I managed to discover The Wedding Present just in time to see them playing George Best live for it’s 30th anniversary. I still don’t know how I missed them first time round.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you ever find yourself watching “Ronaldinho best skills” videos or the like on Youtube, then chances are you’ll have heard his tunes.
    I Shazamed and it turns out it’s Alan Walker; had never heard of him. Looked him up and he has billions of plays on Youtube alone.
    Unfortunately not really my cup of tea.

theotherjonv

I managed to discover The Wedding Present just in time to see them playing George Best live for it’s 30th anniversary. I still don’t know how I missed them first time round.

You’ll soon catch up, all the songs sound the same.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just getting into Led Zep would you believe. And the Who. I think both have potential to be big.

I blame Spotify partly!

RobHilton
    Free Member

I listened to The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd for the first times in 2016 – they’re both not bad!

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno how many other people are actually into it, but I was blown away by Glenn Branca’s album recently.

Why did nobody tell me about it before? Such an obvious influence on some of favourite bands.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots for me. I’m sure there’s more out there of the same ilk

CountZero

I listened to The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd for the first times in 2016 – they’re both not bad!

I saw Pink Floyd in Bristol in 1974, and the Rolling Stones in Bristol in 1981…

kerley
    Free Member

Not too bad for Pink Floyd but you were way too late for Rolling Stones

ajantom

I dunno how many other people are actually into it, but I was blown away by Glenn Branca’s album recently.

And another one! I’d never encountered him either. Cheers 😀

angeldust
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots for me. I’m sure there’s more out there of the same ilk

Obvious ones are Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana. Lots of slightly less obvious ones if you are interested?

spekkie
    Free Member

I only discovered the Sex Pistols AFTER Sid had died. To be fair, I lived in SA at the time and censorship was crazy strict.

redmex
    Free Member

David Bowie Low album i hated when he dropped Ziggy, Mick and the rest of the band.Young Americans was not for me but he just never stood still
    Also Sparks have them on spotify and they are really good, only new the mainstream stuff and one of my first lps cuminto my hoose

isto
    Free Member

Battles are awesome, saw them at ATP when they just released their first album…brilliant live.

@Garry Phosphorescent is an amazing songwriter, if you haven’t heard the track Los Angeles yet check it out.

Protomartyr is a band that has been around for a while and I am only appreciating now. Glad I have discovered them.

metalheart
    Free Member

The Gladiators, Fiona Apple, Calexico and Caseria Evora & Salif Keita have all entered my aural environment in the last month.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Funny that Nirvana and Pearl Jam get recommended as been akin to AIC and STP. Neither of them really did the ‘dropped D’ grunge thing at all. Nirvana were really a lo-fi Sub-Pop-sounding band, and PJ were just Mother Love Bone with a less glam rock singer 🙂 All top bands obvs though!

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Breeders, Pixies and the Amps. The Deal sisters, how did I miss them?

chakaping
    Free Member

I must admit I didn’t really get into Bowie until about 10 years ago.

Could have saved a few bob on shit indie records and just bought his back catalogue in the 1990s.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t hear Eno’s Here Come The Warm Jets until it was on a Fabric mix CD.

That blew me away. How could I be such a big MBV fan but not have heard that?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Breeders, Pixies and the Amps. The Deal sisters, how did I miss them?

New Breeders album out in March, and UK gigs in May and July

angeldust
    Free Member

vdubber67 – Member

Funny that Nirvana and Pearl Jam get recommended as been akin to AIC and STP. Neither of them really did the ‘dropped D’ grunge thing at all. Nirvana were really a lo-fi Sub-Pop-sounding band, and PJ were just Mother Love Bone with a less glam rock singer All top bands obvs though!

Fair comment, but you are commenting as an insider (someone who is familiar with the music, and thus knows the minor (but significant) differences). To someone not so familiar with the genre (such as the person asking the question above) the bands mentioned have lots of similarities. For example, Scott Weiland’s vocals on Core were not a million miles away from Eddie Vedder on Ten. STP at the time had plenty of criticism for jumping on the grunge bandwagon. Then you have the fact that much of the work was from around the same time period, and you had all the common ground with grunge angst, drugs, and the reaction to pop music etc that was popular at the time.

The dropped D thing or lack of (though key to their sounds) hardly defined the bands mentioned overall (though certainly Soundgarden were associated with it).

Take a step back…..when people talk ‘grunge’ (not that the term means anything) the top 2 bands they think of will be Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I like all the bands mentioned, and I think the person asking the question might too!

I always found it interesting that Smashing Pumpkins expertly managed to avoid getting labelled as grunge, despite the all encompassing tag at the time and some of the similarities of the music up to the Siamiese Dream era. Geography was in their favour, and in retrospect they quickly moved on in ways the ‘grunge’ bands did not.

Speshpaul

Just getting into Led Zep and Alice in Chains …….. try this then

iancity1
    Free Member

Went through a very bad spell recently of hearing bands for the first time the day after they played locally. The Living End the main one, never heard of them, a mate recommended them one Saturday night, listened to them on the Tuesday, loved them, only to find they played the night before…then came Rise Against, same thing, discovered them 2 days after they played in my hometown…the Living end are Australian, Rise Against American and I’m from Newcastle, so not likely to get a chance to see them for another few years I would guess…

Northwind

I’m just going to hope you’re already a Bad Religion fan though, Rise Against are definitely the best Bad Religion covers band out there.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I saw Pink Floyd in Bristol in 1974, and the Rolling Stones in Bristol in 1981…

I was born in 75 :mrgreen:

john_drummer
    Free Member

Obvious ones are Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana. Lots of slightly less obvious ones if you are interested?

Doing the same with PJ & Soundgarden / Audioslave, but Nirvana not new to me. Nor Foos. QOTSA to a degree too. Need to listen to Kyuss too.

For a bit of background, i’m a sad old goth, converted from 2nd generation punk. Too young for Pistols/Clash at the time but caught SLF/Banshees/Damned fairly early

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Late to the party – discovering bands years after everyone else’ is closed to new replies.