Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Late Season Skiing
  • lucien

Any tips, other than the usual Glaciers

School Easter break is very early this year (30th March break up) so thinking a higher up, non-glacier resort in Europe, Alps preferred.

Any ideas?

nbt

I’ve skiied until May 1st – snowheads organise a trip to Val Thorens for the last week of the season each year, although technically it’s not the last week as there’s “dutch week” the week after that (fdirst week in may)

Anyway, not sure what your question is – are asking where will be good on 30th march? More or less everywhere will be fine then. If you genuinely mean late season (second half of april) then yes, stay high. I’ve skiied les arcs in the last week of april and you could more or less watch the snow melting during the week, wher as tignes further up the tarentaise was in great condition

lucien

nbt – usually go to Cervinia 2nd week in April – OK up top till late afternoon, grim slush at the bottom from about 2500 mtrs, to resort at 2000mtrs – just looking for somewhere different to ski at the end of March without going on full on Glacier

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Go for a resort with north facing slopes, helps with the odds of there being ok snow rather than skiing on slush puppy stuff

nbt

End of march, the espace killy is going to be in good condition, and it does have a glacier if all else fails. I love the tarentaise so I’d be happy in any of the resorts there really. I’d avoid lower places like morzine / avoriaz, maybe, but theend of march isn;t really late season

SR
    Free Member
    nbt

Grimentz does seem to be getting more and more popular, I know a couple of people who’ve bought there recently. It’s on the list of places to visit.

ocrider

I often go to 2 Alpes in mid-late April and yes, the glacier is there, but plenty going on below it, although some afternoons not using the lift to get back to the resort can be ‘interesting’

At the end of March it may get a bit soupy in the late afternoon, but as long as there’s more snow than last year, you will be fine in most of the Alps over 1650m.

Cabri
    Free Member

If it’s anything like this year, take your bike just in case 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

This year was quite ropey. We went to Paradiski for the 1st week in April. Some of the skiing was OK, a couple of bits very thin. Went for a day to 3V. Skied from Courchevel 1300 to Orelle and back. Had to down-lift to 1300 at the end of the day (predictable), but Meribel was shocking and a bike would have been appropriate.

IMO spring 2011 was exceptionally bad and I’d gamble on most places being OK for skiing – we’ve re-booked the same place for 2nd week next April.

As for the slush, work on your technique, don’t get lazy, and don’t get tired and you should be OK. There’s no such thing as bad snow, just bad skiers…

…and don’t forget to have fun. It’s why you’re there.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Boarded/ski with family and friends of all abilities in Flaine last week of easter for last 3 years , bumper snow tons of powder 09 and 10 this year was thin in resort but easily enough to fill a week higher up.99 times out of a hundred its lack of people close the resort and not lack of snow, very limited nightlife but personally we are there for the snow.

lucien

We’re off to Flaine at Xmas, and been looking at Zermatt for April – I’d rather have something snow-sure-ish if possible.

TW agreed on the technique bit but it’s hard going after a hard day on the slopes, and tiring if you do it more than a few times. A bit like riding a fireroad – necessary but not fun

devs
    Free Member

Flaine does have very good late skiing condidering its height. I’ve skied the last week of the season (Apr/May) many times in Val d’Isere and I’ve had fresh waist deep pow to skiing across ponds at the bottom but there has always been great skiing. Mind you I like slush almost as much as powder. Night life is mental too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did Serre Che in March this year. Great snow above the tree line, download at the end of the day. Off piste was pretty much fully tracked out, but skiing in a t-shirt kind of made up for it! It was HOT!

Crell
    Free Member

If you’re thinking about zermatt you can go to Cervinia when zermatt melts so you should be ok. From mid march id only go to a glacier resort or head north. Skied in Are 2 years ago in mid April and it was just getting slushy in the afternoon.

DezB
    Free Member

Stayed in Montalbert end of April this year. The LaPlagne area shut while we were there – so we drove to Val D’Isere (I can never spell it right) and it was great.
    2 photos taken on the same day (Apr 14th I think)
    Val d’isere –

Montalbert in the background –

lisawiz
    Free Member

These are lovely pictures.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

I’ve skied both Les Contamines, Val Cenis and Verbier around the 20th of April in different years and it’s been awesome, plus with a lid and goggles you get dirty face tan. If you have a car you can be more flexibe when you’re there. I tend to book late based on conditions, and it often comes down to the snowfall they’ve had through the season. It will always be hard in the morning and get slushy in the afternoon, but time it right and you may get corn! Is touring an option? Fatter skis and a refresher lesson may make the wet stuff less grim and more like slow powder.

speed12
    Free Member

Just been in Switzerland the past week with work and although I didn’t ski personally (sadly), a colleague did and said the snow was excellent. We had a huge snow dump the day we left (about a foot of it) so it’s still coming down decently up there.

igm

Well over a foot of snow fell on Les Gets this week and the slopes have been great. And that’s right down to 1172m in the village.

Next week? Who knows. Could be grim, could be excellent.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

All Scottish resorts are in great nick at the moment…

whattyre
    Free Member

2ft of powder in Glenshee at the mo…with more due tomoro and over the weekend…mail me and I’ll give u more info if u want 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Late Season Skiing’ is closed to new replies.