Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • late night training
  • quantockspaul
    Free Member

With the arrival of a second child, my riding/training time has had to become a bit more creative. Still getting a few hours in sat morning once I’ve got the toddler up, so no dawn rides this year.. I take a longer route home on a normally short commute as long as I get out of work on time. And I’ve discovered I can get 2 to 3 hours on a midweek ride after kids bedtime so 9pm ish. Only thing is I get home buzzing from the effort, really hungry as I’d only eaten half my tea earlier so as not to get stomach cramps and struggle to get to sleep fast enough. I’m not using energy drinks as I know that would keep me up, plus the cost of them. Anyone got any tips on how to deal with late night training?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Warm down properly.

garage-dweller

An episode of family guy and a bottle of cider works for me after a night ride .not really a training friendly answer though!

tenfoot

It’ll probably get better over time. It used to happen to me when I started riding late at night, but I’d say within the year, somehow my mind got used to it.

It still occasionally happens, but usually the main reason I can’t sleep after a late night ride is through contact with stinging nettles.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Push harder so your physically exhausted.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    Warm down properly.

I have to admit my warm down is generally confined to braking on the drive in an attempt to get the most amount of each ride. Though it is actually not working because then it takes me days/nearly a week to recover before the next ride.
    Last ride, though a bit shorter, included a couple of miles of stretching and calmer pedalling, which did feel better.

What does anyone else do to warm down?

somouk
    Free Member

I normally spin the last mile to keep me moving but with little resistance. Then some stretches when I’m back.

Maybe look to take a protein bar or shake on board when you get home too.

robob
    Free Member

The above, plus a couple of paracetamol, which seem to help ease the twitchy legs and nettle stings.

I work shifts, so ride home late every night. I also live at the top of a steep hill, so no chance of an easy warm down at the end of the ride.
    I can’t help with advice though, as I simply got used to it.
    Working late also means I am used to the idea of eating my dinner in the early afternoon, then jumping straight on the bike to ride to work with a full stomach.
    Again, it’s just something I’ve got used to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘late night training’ is closed to new replies.