Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Late night riding
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well as per my last thread I had my first ride yesterday after Achilles injury. Felt fine no pain during. Just the usual morning pain today. But it’s now 2220 and I fancy doing it again. Lights are charged and traffics died down. Not in work till 1330 and I’m not tired.

Anyone go for a quick blast on or off road this late? Or too dangerous. Missus is on nights but knows the route I go.

takisawa2

I wish I had the energy. 🙂
    Enjoy.

paul4stones

What’s dangerous? If I go out at this time I usually don’t feel like stopping 🙂

kendo954
    Free Member

I think if your well lit up in the right kit your more visible at night

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Two bar mounted magicshines and a cheap Chinese copy for the helmet. Short 1 mile road, muddy field then some forest bridleways.

Royston
    Free Member

I’ve been out in the evening after work (so 2030hrs onwards) a few times now. The first time I did it I was amazed at how quiet the roads were so it was an easy decision to try it again. Shift work definitely helps in so much as you don’t have to worry about early mornings.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’d be a little nervous doing ‘bigger’ stuff but the ride you described, I wouldn’t have a problem doing.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s not a proper night ride unless you are still out when the pubs shut

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Our regular wednesday night ride doesn’t start until 8pm year round, usually home for 11ish though, but occasionally it gets silly. No problem heading out whenever and riding through the night. You get a better chance of not getting in the way of dog walkers and horse riders, and even on the road, drivers give more space. I’ve a habit of riding over Hartside Pass at 2am.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have never been riding that late if I’m not back by 9 I’ve gone too slow

One time when I was staying in darkest Wales I just couldn’t sleep and had to go for a hill walk at 2am. Faintly surprised to see someone else coming down the path I mean what do you say morning hello all right lol

medoramas
    Free Member

I ride very late quite often on weekends. Sometimes I leave home about 23:00, 23:30, after wife goes to sleep. The hardest bit is to actually leave home. After that it’s always prefect riding – wherever it’s road or MTB.

There is no cars, no dog walkers, literally nobody – it feels I’m the only living soul on the planet. I recently started listening to the music while doing this very late rides – empty woods/roads give me that comfort. It’s just good.

tomaso
    Free Member

Done a couple of solstice rides that start at closing time and ride through the night.
    With solo late night riding off road the risk is having a big stack and spending the night on the fells until the next day.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

if Im still riding after 10/11 at night I simply cant sleep when I get in bed, so Im keeping it earlier from now on.
    anyone else find that?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

anyone else find that?

Nope. I can’t sleep unless I’m exhausted, so if I’m likely to be buzzing too much I keep going, or spend a few hours post-ride fettling bikes, and go to bed even later 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Yeah, it can make me really restless if I’m out after 11. But missing half a night’s sleep isn’t going to kill anyone.

I find that after about 10pm I just get really tired and my riding technique (which is shit anyway) completes deserts me

schmiken

I’m generally out early morning – before 6am. Roads are dark and a lot safer and it’s really nice to watch the sun come up mid ride.

Scamper
    Free Member

Been going out quite a lot recently around 10 pm for an hour or so to get the miles in. Make sure I have some warm kit with me, keep to bridleways, iphone locator on and whistle. Probebly a bit OTT for the lickeys but keeps the Wife happy.

scaled
    Free Member

I quite regularly leave the centre of Manchester after 11 and pootle the 18 or so miles home.

Hardly see any cars, and they all give me loads of room, the chance of falling off is slightly higher than my usual commute though :p

scruff
    Free Member

We generally get home on Thursday night rides about 12.30am.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Late night riding’ is closed to new replies.