Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • last nights telly, dark states louis theroux
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

ye gods that was bleak

anyone else watch this?

footflaps

Nope, but might on catch-up. Problem is so bad, they reckon it’s a drag on the economy…

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/07/news/economy/opioid-epidemic-job-market/index.html

Does seem a completely insane situation, unless you’re a CEO of the drugs company, in which case it’s highly profitable.

reminds me of

rmacattack
    Free Member

Recorded it to watch tonight. Anybody watch the series after also?

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s some fu*ked up sh!t right there…

Stevet1
    Free Member

Watched it, enjoyed it. heartbreaking to see the young woman effectively throwing her life away and being partly lucid about it at times, and at others caring only about her next fix.
    Oh and – did you see the woman who came out of that drug addled tramps tent!!!

Bit jarring to go from that into a fairly glamorous drama about selling cocaine I thought, but is that okay because all TV execs hoover it up?

mahalo

bleak is right! esp all that stuff about a generation of babies being born with opiate dependencies!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed – it was an interesting juxtaposition wasn’t it? 🙂

Having said that, Snowfall did look reasonably classy and set up well for the next episode. The bit where he flipped the switch and the deck slid back was an excellent piece.

America’s rust belt does seem like it’s going to hell in a handcart with the decline of heavy industrial activity. Loved Louis’ gentle probing – don’t know how he had the guts to ask that big lad if he’s been abusing the girl. I kinda worried for her as I saw them walking off. He did appear quite riled by the questions.

wallop

As if you’d have the switches right there on the deck though!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If anyone fancies delving a bit deeper into the US opioid epidemic then try reading “Dreamland” by Sam Quinones. It’s available as an audio book too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As if you’d have the switches right there on the deck though!

It was a switch to expose a hot-tub, so, yeah, I’d expect the switch to be right there on the deck.

juanking

Yup it was grim alright.

Snowfall is great and setup nicely for season 2!

allthegear
    Free Member

Missed it. Will watch tonight. As my previous job was making OxyContin (amongst other things), I imagine it will feel a little personally hard-hitting.

Rachel

DrJ

Hey, after Jeremy Hunt has sold off the NHS to Big Pharma we’ll have our own opioid epidemic.

martinhutch

As my previous job was making OxyContin (amongst other things), I imagine it will feel a little personally hard-hitting.

Unless you were in charge of aggressively marketing them and offering misleading advice on addiction to doctors, I don’t think you should be too hard on yourself.

DrP

Quick question… why were the FIRE BRIGADE the ones seeing and treating the ODs??

Is it because of healthcare (paramedics) is paid for, but fire brigade is state funded???

Random!

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Possibly. I thought it was down to availability of the services. It sounded like a lot of both police and medical support was needed and maybe just as simple as ‘fire service are available’.

somafunk

My brother is a retained firefighter in our home town (galloway) and as such he is trained to be a first responder, being a rural area it can take ages for a paramedic/doctor to arrive on scene so he is trained to do basic emergency procedures, that includes attending 3 heroin overdoses this year amongst many other first responder call-outs, one of which the patient (someone he knows from our town) had OD on a bad batch of heroin cut with fentanyl and was choking on his own vomit, thankfully he managed to clear his airways and performed cpr on him till the paramedic crew finally arrived and administered naxolone to bring him round.

allthegear
    Free Member

The programme was about the US, right? If so, many of the Fire Brigades there also have a paramedic franchise (oh yes, EVERYTHING is privately run).

Rachel

wallop

It was a switch to expose a hot-tub, so, yeah, I’d expect the switch to be right there on the deck

Ha ha – I totally didn’t realise it was a hot tub 😆

fatmax

Truly grim. The next two in the series sound equally harrowing too.

But…

Oh and – did you see the woman who came out of that drug addled tramps tent!!!

Yes!! 😯

T1000
    Free Member

The foetal dependency section was particularly grim

phinbob

@Dr P. Where we live (near Seattle) the services are effectively combined with the same station offering fire and paramedic services.

It seems to work OK, and I guess it kind of makes sense as there are fewer stations to maintain with a combined service.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On that classy US Drama, Chicago Fire, there are a couple of paramedics working out of the Fire Station. 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

It was powerful stuff and very hard to watch at times. I always admire the way Theroux interviews.

leegee

Couldn’t watch it turned it off after 15 mins, Louis makes very interesting films but after they revived the bloke laying on the dirt road I felt sick.

robowns
    Free Member

Louis is a legend, he’s got balls

wallop

And compassion.

franksinatra

Louis is a national treasure and in years to come I reckon he will be spoken about in the same manner as Attenborough and Parkinson

rmacattack
    Free Member

what a grim reality. what i picked up from this is that the place has nearly got that bad a name/ reputation that the weak residents feel inclined to take it as they see it all around.

the heroin baby will probably not have a good life ahead of it. the hot chick from the tent will either od or spiral down to where the other girl is at now, whom i feel really sorry for. she looked like a nice girl.drugs don’t discriminate as they say.

corporate pharmas you can blame so far but look at mikey, hope he stays sober but it’s a choice. most on the show looked like they took it to feel sorry for themselves and have gave up on life and themselves.

footflaps

Hey, after Jeremy Hunt has sold off the NHS to Big Pharma we’ll have our own opioid epidemic.

One of the many post Brexit benefits we all have to look forward to!

Personally I can’t wait.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, watched both.
    Enjoyed both.

roger_mellie

I wasn’t going to watch Louis last night, but I’m glad I did. Very, very sad, but so enlightening. How people open up to him is amazing / revealing. Katillia and her controlling boyfriend particularly. Reformed Nate summed up the woman leaving the tent at the end – ‘she won’t be looking like that in 3 months’. Louis got the tent dude thinking about how drugs had come before his relationship with his son, which he didn’t look like he really had before. Looking forward, in a slightly downbeat way, to next ones.

Pigface
    Free Member

There are some documentaries on YouTube about Fentanyl addiction, fascinating and horrific.

Louis is brilliant.

vickypea
    Free Member

I watched it too, pretty grim. Much more needs to be done to stop people getting addicted to opiate painkillers in the first place.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just watched it now. One in four adults in that town are addicted?! Mass insanity. Interesting to hear how the problem (may have) started – heavy industry and doctors handing out opiates like aspirin for industrial injuries.

Because I’ve long since burnt my bridges on here, I don’t mind admitting that I used to move in similar circles – for almost a decade – so wasn’t particularly shocked or upset by the content, but I’m astounded by the wholesale addiction of an entire town.

Fantombiker

There’s a documentary on Netflix called Heroine and has exactly the same people in it!! Looks like Louis was lazy!

richardkennerley

Heroin(e) on Netflix is further watching on the same subject/town. Follows the fire chief/paramedic. Even as she gets promoted to be the first female fire chief the town has had for a long time, she still drops everything to rush out to the next OD.

Edit – beaten to it!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s a documentary on Netflix called Heroine and has exactly the same people in it!! Looks like Louis was lazy!

Heroin(e) on Netflix is further watching on the same subject/town. Follows the fire chief/paramedic. Even as she gets promoted to be the first female fire chief the town has had for a long time, she still drops everything to rush out to the next OD.

Was just about to say that, and to recommend giving it a watch. It’s a sad situation and one that is so hard for addicts to get out of, even if they want to it’s a drug and a mindset that pulls you back in so

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Harrowing, had to stop watching.

But hold tight, it’s being fixed:

(3 mins in)

[video]https://youtu.be/ysUEJhp8VZ0[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘last nights telly, dark states louis theroux’ is closed to new replies.