Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Last nights night ride…
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Through Hanging Wood, up Deadmen Lane, down Gallows Hill to the start of Thieves lane….

…at this point I started wondering where these places got their names from.

…then I remembered it was nearly Halloween.

Funny how the normally rational mind can work overtime when on your own, miles from anywhere and in a pitch black wood.

I pedaled quite fast.

Northwind

I rode through an alfresco costume party in the woods a couple of years back and got chased by a werewolf 😆 The ghosts seemed more scared of me than I was of them though

binners

I was out on my own last night too. Never ever EVER look behind you on a solo night ride. Just pedal faster when you feel the breath on your neck 😯

adjustablewench
    Free Member

planning on a solo trip to a bothy tonight . . . what could possibly go wrong 😕

sandwicheater

Night ride planned tonight but with a couple of mates. Was that or stay at home and keep opening the door to kids/teenagers after sweets.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

planning on a solo trip to a bothy tonight . . . what could possibly go wrong

Which bothy exactly?

digga
    Free Member

There is a bit on Cannock Chase which I often have to climb solo if I’ve bailed out of the pub finale to our night rides. It’s through and ancient oak forest and it’s shown on the OS map as “Devil’s Dumble”.

What’s even scarier is that I don’t even know what a Dumble is. (Off to Google.)

ahwiles
    Free Member

according to wikibloodypedia, in Nottinghamshire it means a wood lined stream, often in a steep sided valley.

digga
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    according to wikibloodypedia, in Nottinghamshire it means a wood lined stream, often in s steep sided valley.

Thank you.

It’s near a stream and it’s woody – as denoted by oaks – and steep enough too, so that makes sense. To be fair, it never really does feel that malevolent, so I think it was just named by someone with a vivid imagination and/or penchant for recreational drugs. Perhaps even a fascination for Coleridge.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

planning on a solo trip to a bothy tonight . . . what could possibly go wrong

Which bothy exactly?

a welsh one near some trees – why are you planning the same? Ill be arriving quite late – but will try not to freak out anyone already there 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Last nights night ride…’ is closed to new replies.