• This topic has 97 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Last night in the pub…(DHer content)
  • Smee
    Free Member

Orange say that the Patriot is pretty pish as a DH bike. That’s good enough for me.

Who says that the ability as a DH bike is related to travel?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Out of interest Smee what time were you in there when it was ‘full of DHers’.

Smee
    Free Member

About a month ago. In the evening sometime.

phutphutend

Mr Smee, where does Orange say that?

Do you have any experience of riding DH bikes. Can you give us a quick summary to qualify your statements.

I hope you’re only trying to pass the time. I’m a bit bored and happy to take the bait.

Smee
    Free Member

Orange Saying Patriot 7+ is Pish at DH

The wee table that tells you the ideal use for each bike.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I think that the fact that Peaty Used to Win DOWNHILL races on the Patriot when it was their longest travel full sus bike prior to the advent of the 222 suggests it was at least then considered a DH Bike.

The patriot before the introduction of the 222 was Oranges DH bike of the day.

The only reason its not sold as a full on DH machine now is that the amount of travel expected of a DH bike has moved on from 5 or 6″ to 8,9 or 10″.

If you have ever tried to pedal a full on DH bike up a hill its quite a different ball game to riding an XC bike up a hill.

Tyres – usually 2.35 – 2.5″ – Super Tacky compounds running about 18psi lots off traction/grip/rolling resistance.
    Suspension – running 25-35% sag on a lets say 8″ DH bike.
    Weight – even the weight weeniest DH bike is going to be 36-38lbs most top side of 40 and lots top side of 45lbs.

They are designed to be ridden down hill, fast. They are not all mountain bikes or road bike they are designed to ride DH.

I’ll wager a lot of the DH’s know how to pedal, and ride XC etc as well as DH. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them race XC, and i’ll be a few would be you up and down a hill.

They ride what they enjoy, you get annoyed coz they are moaning and then come on here and moan about them.

GET A LIFE SMEE.

phutphutend

Good job you know what you’re talking about! I’ll remember to go a bit slower next time just in case by bike explode or something.

What bike you ride and for what type of riding?

Smee
    Free Member

Road bike for road riding,
    Anthem for XC,
    Singlespeed Coiler for playing on DH trails,
    Singlespeed Hardtail for messing around on.

I do know what I’m talking about, merely pointing out that the manufacturer says it is pish at DH.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

DH dudes can’t be that work shy – they’re bikes are very expensive!

And a lot of fun

A lot.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tyres – usually 2.35 – 2.5″ – Super Tacky compounds running about 18psi lots off traction/grip/rolling resistance.
    Suspension – running 25-35% sag on a lets say 8″ DH bike.

I can agree to that – I recently put some 2.5″ DH tyres on my XC bike (as I had no others spare) and I could bearly get round my usual trails, let alone get any speed up and enjoy it!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

First, why has this thread been bumped…

Second

Smee

Here is a novel idea you workshy lazy bastards, learn to pedal the **** things – it’ll make you a better rider….

{abuse removed – 2 day holiday awarded – mod)

coffeeking
    Free Member

First, why has this thread been bumped…

Because the patriot owner didnt like his bike being considered not to be a DH bike?

You’re a dick.

He is at times.

phutphutend

Sorry peeps didn’t mean to start up an argument. Mr Smee is a bit antogonising though!

BoardinBob

merely pointing out that the manufacturer says it is pish at DH.

Sorry, maybe I’m being a bit thick but I had a look and I couldn’t see the bit where Orange described it as “pish”

And going by your own logic

Singlespeed Coiler for playing on DH trails,

The coiler was listed under the

Out of Bounds series of bikes, which has been on the forefront of freeride technology since the beginning.

http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k7bikes/2007-index.php

So it must be a bit “pish” for downhill then?

djglover
    Free Member

Just becasue you can pedal a SS uphill doens’t make you a better rider Smee.

Its a bit like when you say that you put your fingers up your own bum really well and now you think you are the worlds most considerate lover.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d say a Patriot is still a very good DH bike, Infact if you stuck some 180mm forks on it (66’s, Wotans or alike) you’d have one hell of a good piece of kit, probably more of an Alpine piece of kit that you could pedal up and down but still a good DH bike, since 1999 I think you’ll find.

A slightly more up to date Patriot: Orange Bikes

not pish, but the holder of an undoubtable DH championship winning pedigree.

😉

ton

orange patriots are ok.
    george, behave, i spanked the dh at inners on a patriot.
    well i rode a bit faster than normal…. 😉

GW
    Free Member

GNARGNAR – we all knew that 🙄

Was this the night before the Winter race? I was at that race! – Never noticed this thread at the time.

But surprise surprise, another Glupton style whinge/troll at DHers and uplift trucks… Yawn! :roll:it’s pretty obvious from every previous thread smee/Glupton has started on this subject that he has never ridden a DH bike, let alone one with and extra 10lb of mud on it along the mile and a half of undulating tarmac with soft compound tyres and a slammed saddle. some riders will always moan about that, try it for a whole day and you might see their point.
    I ride DH often enough there that I even went to the trouble of building another DH bike specificaly to use at innerleithen (still strong, slack and low but with shorter travel, lighter overall, long enough seatpost to adjust for the road, skinnier harder compound tyres for the road) – IMO inners isn’t a very technically difficult DH venue and with a lot of it being hardpack, what you lose out on in time due to lack cornering grip can be made up in faster acceleration/lower rolling resistance you get from a skinnier harder tyre).

one_happy_hippy – Member
    I think that the fact that Peaty Used to Win DOWNHILL races on the Patriot when it was their longest travel full sus bike prior to the advent of the 222 suggests it was at least then considered a DH Bike.

The patriot before the introduction of the 222 was Oranges DH bike of the day.

No it wasn’t!! they had the Orange/Animal Team (Tim Ponting/Steve Geal/Revs/Kitchin/OB etc.) on Patriots around 1999, then came this..

which became refined into the 222 in 2000 – Minnaar rode for Orange/Animal in 2000 and rode a 222.
    Peat’s first year on Orange bikes was 2001 (his contract with GT ended in 2000. – not saying Peat didn’t “choose” to race a Patriot at some shit pedally UK race and win. ****, he’s won an NPS on a blown shock before! (I remember Warner chosing to race a stock ATX1 with 6″ travel rather than the 8″ one he used at WCs at a muddy NPS at inners and winning by quite a margin).

The only reason its not sold as a full on DH machine now is that the amount of travel expected of a DH bike has moved on from 5 or 6″ to 8,9 or 10″.

Bollox! travel has nothing to do with it, it has enough travel for many DH tracks but the Geometry’s all wrong for a DH bike (too high (BB) and too steep (H/A))

I agree with the rest of what you said tho. 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – Member
    I do know what I’m talking about,

Really? I suppose there must be a first time but not this time I think.

Did you smoke ’em all on your rigid hardtail or just push them out of the way?

radoggair
    Free Member

I’m behind Smee on this one, mainly because he knows how to start an argument. Its fantastic.

I think that the fact that Peaty Used to Win DOWNHILL races on the Patriot when it was their longest travel full sus bike prior to the advent of the 222 suggests it was at least then considered a DH Bike

Peaty started downhilling on a fully rigid Kona a long long time ago, doesn’t make fully rigid bikes downhill bikes though ( yes they were using front suspension bikes at the time)

Its good this post, mucho enjoyment 👿

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

people do ride DH bikes uphill, Chris Porter had a 223 with fox 40’s and a prototype long travel big volume rp3 (before the DHX arrived). XTR crans ith the outer ring milled down int a bash, tubess, resprayed, etc, claimed weight was in the very low 30’s, and apparently very quick up and downhill.

GW
    Free Member

MrNutt – you just don’t get it do you? sticking a longer fork on a bike does not make it a better handling DH bike 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

GW – you just don’t get it do you? I like long travel forks, read it again I never said that putting longer travel forks on it would “make it a better handling DH bike”, what I actually said was:

Infact if you stuck some 180mm forks on it (66’s, Wotans or alike) you’d have one hell of a good piece of kit, probably more of an Alpine piece of kit that you could pedal up and down but still a good DH bike

I’d also suggest running them at 35%+ sag, a shocker I know, but then hey thats how I roll 😀

GW
    Free Member

plow more like 😛

MrNutt
    Free Member

if you’re slow 😉 😆

phutphutend

Bollox! travel has nothing to do with it, it has enough travel for many DH tracks but the Geometry’s all wrong for a DH bike (too high (BB) and too steep (H/A))

My Patriot is built up with 7″ Boxxers and the shock shuttle pushed way up front (with 10mm taken off the shock stroke to allow this). This results in a sub 13″ BB and 64deg head angle. I’ve ridden 224s and my Patriot and the geometry is very similar. I owned a 222 for a couple of years and the Patriot is a better DH bike. The Patriot has just a bit less travel and is a bit lighter. Much better for UK tracks in my opinion.

Bu i totally agree with your point. What makes a good DH bike is angles and quality of travel. And big tyres!!

At least Mr Smee has gone quiet the f………

Smee
    Free Member

GnarGnar – I love you too.

PhutPhutEnd – WTF is antogonising?

BoardinBob – SS Coiler would be pish at DH compared to a DH bike, but it is the most suitable bike I have and is enough for me.

Shabba – Being fitter and stronger does make you a better rider though.

GW – I’ve ridden my fair share of DH bikes around that place to know that they aren’t that slow on hardpack/tarmac.

TJ – WTF you talking about? Hardtail in the pub? Are you mental?

GW
    Free Member

so what is your fair share? (who’s/which bikes?) and by “around that place” do you mean the car park?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – a reference to your previous exploits.

When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING.

Smee
    Free Member

I have a cousin races DH, he gives me his shops demo bikes to play with now and again.

Sunday, Glory, Session.

That place being Inners and Caberston.

TJ – who is in a hole?

GW
    Free Member

priveedged enough to borrow Iron Horse, Giant and Treks most expensive bikes, lucky boy! Who is he? what shop does he have?

so you do know they’re harder work to pedal along the flat than your regular bikes, so just try to imaging what it feels like the 5/6th time you ride along that road covered in shit and in hot sweaty armour after trying to hit all your lines at race pace each run.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – either you are a good troll enjoying stupid threads or you enjoy looking stupid or you don’t know that you are making yourself look very stupid. Hence when you are in a hole stop digging – you evidently know half of **** all but think you know it all

Or a troll of course.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – Explain how saying that it isn’t that hard to ride a DH bike along a tarmac road is making me look stupid.

GW – Scotby Cycles in Carlisle, my cousin is Lyle. They are harder to get up to speed and keep it there on roads, but they aren’t that difficult that folk need to spit the dummy and start moaning about it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – if you cant see how foolish you look now then you never will.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – it is you that is looking like a **** right now. My 2yr old comes away with better arguments than you.

GW
    Free Member

you think that’s spitting the dummy? that’s only the tip of the proverbial iceberg as far as whingeing goes at DH races. Always been that way, can’t see it changing.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

No Smee,

TJ might come across as an ar-se sometimes but he does talk some sense (i cant believe i just typed that) However you smee come across as an enormous knob jockey. Yup – someone who not only rides co-ck, but races co-ck, against other men riding co-ck. For a cash prize. Possibly while people in silly hats watch.

matt_outandabout

😯 😆

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Alcohol and a month off the bike. Meh.

Smee
    Free Member

Meow – Saucer of milk for the sad hippy in the corner.

A song lyric for self same sad hippy “I’m a loser baby, so why dont you kill me?”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Last night in the pub…(DHer content)’ is closed to new replies.