• This topic has 97 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Last night in the pub…(DHer content)
  • Smee
    Free Member

Last night the pub was full of DHers all moaning that they had to pedal around a 3 miles before they could stick their bikes in the uplift truck and get a bus to the top of the hill. I’m sure loads of them must have been getting lost because it is only a mile or so from the trails to the uplift road. Lots of them claimed that they only had one cog on the back too. I’ve never seen a SS DH bike.

Here is a novel idea you workshy lazy bastards, learn to pedal the **** things – it’ll make you a better rider….

MrNutt
    Free Member

can you prove any of this?

Smee
    Free Member

Can you disprove any of it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

which pub was it?

Smee
    Free Member

Traquair Arms

MrNutt
    Free Member

what is the maximum capacity of the Traquair Arms?

Smee
    Free Member

80 or so.

MrNutt
    Free Member

80 or so?

was there in excess of eighty DHer’s in the Traquair Arms last night?

Smee
    Free Member

Around 80.

MrNutt
    Free Member

really? around 80? you don’t think thats something of a slight exaggeration?

We are talking about the Traquair Arms in Innerleithen?

Smee
    Free Member

Not an exaggeration.

You have the correct place.

You’re making assumptions though….

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m not making any assumptions, thats why I was asking, we’re they wearing DH Jerseys or all togged out in Animal Extreme Freeride clobber?

uplink
    Free Member

ah…… the Traquair Arms

Where your father is your mother & your sister is your brother

Smee
    Free Member

The usual mix of hoodies with descent —- emblazoned on the front, AEFC etc, wearing jeans MC hammer stylee, and a beanie….

MrNutt
    Free Member

just found this:

from here: http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,148606.30.html

looks like even the DH world is not exempt from SS Fever!

Smee
    Free Member

Patriot isn’t a DH bike though…

MrNutt
    Free Member

OK so you’re sure that all the riders in the Traquair Arms ride DH bikes and not AM bikes??

Smee
    Free Member

Given that they are at a DH race weekend, I would suspect they have DH bikes.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Have you pedaled along that road on a DH bike?
    “Make you a better rider” is that a joke?

@rse

Smee
    Free Member

guitarhero – yes, then up the fireroad to the top of the DH trails – it aint difficult. Fitter stronger riders are faster than unfit riders. Do you think Sam Hill, Peaty, Gee Atherton would have a problem riding along that road on a DH bike?

The road goes follows a river downstream – that kind of tells you something.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I would suspect they have DH bikes.

You’re making assumptions though….

😉 😀

uplink
    Free Member

……… wearing jeans MC hammer stylee, and a beanie….

Hats indoors eh?
    Say n’more

jam-bo

Doing more runs will make you a better rider quicker than slogging along a fireroad.

solamanda
    Free Member

Smee, sounds like you have little idea how hard it is to pedal a dh bike running low tyre pressures and how tried they would have been from the dh. DH is far harder on your entire body than most xc riders appreciate, especially if it was a race! Don’t forget the fact they had PAID for uplift and expected a service.

IA

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=B709&daddr=55.619588,-3.018837&hl=en&geocode=FRqLUAMdn1zR_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&sll=55.616268,-3.015275&sspn=0.019098,0.032358&ie=UTF8&ll=55.61239,-3.034887&spn=0.038199,0.064716&t=h&z=14

1.8 miles.

Also, the pedal is tiring, when you’re on your 8th or 9th time along the road, on supertacky tyres at 20PSI on a bike with the saddle round your knees. Plus it wears the tyres out.

I’ve ridden a DH bike (proper DH bike mind, nothing I could get the saddle up to a decent pedalling height on) all the way to the top of minch moor round the XC loop. Just cos I can do it, doesn’t mean I want to, especially when racing, wearing armour etc.

Having said that – I’m not one of the folk that moans particularly when I have to ride along the road, but I’d prefer not to.

Smee
    Free Member

IA – and I bet you are better at DH for being that bit fitter..

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

It’s called a downhill bike for a reason (the clue is in the name somewhere). If they could easily be pedalled up hills then everyone would ride them, and perhaps bitchy little jey boys like yourself might stand a chance of descending with a shred of style and some dignity. But then again probably not.

juan
    Free Member

yawn…
    ‘XC-jey boy: you DH boy are unfit lazy scum because you are too lazy to pedal up’
    ‘Dh boy: you xc whippet have never try to pedal a dh bike they are not meant to be pedaled plus you can’t go down for a farting penny’

yawn… yawn…

Whatsit
    Free Member

‘K Me, this place gets worse by the day. 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

seems business as usual to me 😆

its all good fun 😉

jimmy

Isn’t that Glupton’s local? Bet he was in there spouting off like he always does.

DrP

Alex – don’t taunt them!
    If it weren’t for you, this thread would have dropped off the page to nothingness…….

We need to start new battles – roadies versus boules players? Chickens versus a wooden spoon?

Come on – which is best?

DrP

juan
    Free Member

Pétanque… Like you need to ask

MrNutt
    Free Member

croquet!

Drac

It was full of DHers but you were in there, does that make you a DHer? What about the company you were drinking with were they DHers too? Did you challenge any of them at the time or did you think “I can’t wait to write a post about this on STW”?

Why do you think Dhers are work shy?

phutphutend

That singlespeed Patriot is mine.

Mr Nutts, my Patriot isn’t a DH bike Eh! Well I challenge you to a race down a hill then. With a pair of Boxxers, slackened angles and big tyres it’s perfect for all but the roughest tracks. Certainly perfect for our little island.

You’ll also find that the average DHer will whip any XCers butt around the trail centres. Not only are we fit and strong, but we also know how to gain speed from the terrain. Something your average spindly legged, lycra clad……… Sorry! Got a bit worked up there.

We’re all biker. Some like pedalling, some like adreniline and fear, some like a mix of the two. Some DHers are super fit and strong, some fat and lardy. Some goes for XCers.

Lycra shorts though, there’s no excuse for!

Smee
    Free Member

phutphutend – Patriot isn’t an out and out DH bike.

As for the bit about the average DHer whipping any XCers butt round a trail centre – nonsense. Most XCers would be up and down Inners before you got to the top.

poppa
    Free Member

Why is everyone so bitchy? 😯

phutphutend

What defines an out and out DH bike. The Honda RN01 and Last Generation Commencal DH Supreme both had 7″ of travel, same as my Patriot. We’re they not DH bikes? Gracia and Minnaar would probably disagree.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nothing in the OP is true. So I refuse to care about it. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Last night in the pub…(DHer content)’ is closed to new replies.