Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Last night in A&E
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

A mate and I were out for a night ride and were riding pretty quick…until he came off and dislocated his shoulder! His front wheel washed out on a mini-berm rooty corner thingy and his weight was thrown forward, luckily no head/neck etc problems.

Eventually after phoning 2 taxis and finally 999 a taxi appeared (he was getting cold) which got him off to A&E. I got there just as he was being seen and waited with his wife. Just after he had been put on a drip and re-popped into place I go all wobbly, feint pass out and shortly after end up in a bed myself for low blood pressure 😐

What better place to feint pass out than next to a Dr? Aside from the long waits between being seen (low priority compared), the staff at Brighton’s A&E were brilliant. Hooray for the NHS!

cynic-al
    Free Member

“faint” 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

😳

Right you are.

jamj1974

Thank God they are good at something – their cardiac consultants and some of their high dependency nurses are shocking…

wwaswas

‘I feel feint!’

‘Who said that?’

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was in A&E on thursday for an appendix – appendix out now and still in the hospital.

(so the weather is going to be good for the next 6 weeks now)

I noticed that, on the tv panels that have all the adverts for no-win-no-fee solicitors for accident claims, they now have ones specifically worded in Polish!

andyl
    Free Member

but who was looking after the bikes? Are they okay? 😀

roper
    Free Member

What better place to feint than next to a Dr?

🙂

I hope your mate makes a quick recovery.

Moe

Just imagine how much better A&E departments would be without all the timewasters in there with back street septic tattoos, injuries sustained while pi**ed out their sculls / during punch ups etc. Also if the majority of the population started making at least half an effort to take responsibility for their own health and well being, all NHS departments would be able to perform their priority roles much, much better.

maxray
    Free Member

Priority roles like patching up middle aged men who should know better and ride outside their limits? Yeah.. that’s not a drain on their resources 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

You forgot to add self inflicted injuries caused by doing something stupid like riding a bike off road at night 🙄

takisawa2

My 6yr old fell & broke his arm badly last week. Ambulance took him in. (Was complicated fracture, would never have got him there without the painkiller the paramedic gave him), so I arrived while there was a big queue. Receptionist waves me to the front, but some scumbag retorts loudly, about what was so special about me that I couldn’t wait. Scumbag is put firmly in place by aforementioned receptionist who informs scumbag loudly, “that GENTLEMAN has a 6yr old in recuss, you have a few scratches from falling over whilst drunk”. I did adopt a smug grin.

badllama
    Free Member

LOL “faint” I remmber being mauled by my own alsation after an argument over a empty food bowel, he won I went to A&E 😯

So I’m sat there with my hand ripped to pieces and as the doc and nurse are working on it I said “I feel as though I’m going to pass out” doctor says “don’t be silly”

Next thing I’m waking up on my back looking at a white ceiling with the nurse in her then white uniform looking over me for a second I’d though Id gone to the other side LOL 😳

Then the nurse says it’s ok you passed out! It’s useful to know that feeling of the curtains being draw in on your eye sight though to know in the futre if you see/feel it happening get on the deck ASAP to perpare yourself LOL

project
    Free Member

When i worked in a psychie hospital, had to take a patient to a and e for a drugs overdose, he was ok, and while waiting to be seen, we got talking to the middle aged chap in the next bed cubicle, whjo said he was driving into work and felt faint with a pain in his arm, so phoned gp who said go to local and e for a quick checkup.

THen the DR came in to se him and curtain was pulled back, and we could hear him giving the same symptoms to the DR, next minute he screamed, and a shout, CARDIAC ARREST, HELP PLEASE, shouted the DR, a load of nurses ran to help and we got shunted out as the chap i was with started screaming rather loudly , Hes Died, Hes Died.

It was a real shock for my patient, and for me.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

fainted? Surely you mean you passed out from manly tiredness?

Drac

Good to hear your mate is on the mend and you took a bro-ment to have sympathy feint.

Emergency departments (new name they’re adapting) are an open aren’t they, takisawa2 that’s a great story. Right must finish getting ready off to work to visit such places.

Northwind

I thought swooning was out of fashion

Anyway, A&E. When I broke my hip, there was some scrote in a wheelchair who refused to get out of it, even though there were none spare in A&E. “I NEEDS IT!” she said. Til she wanted a fag, when she happilly stood up, walked outside, had a fag, walked back in, sat back in the wheelchair.

HermanShake
    Free Member

LOL “faint” I remmber being mauled by my own alsation after an argument over a empty food bowel, he won I went to A&E

For the love of huge manatees please tell me this was meant to say “bowl”!

Some good stories here, it’s probably refreshing for Brighton’s A&E to have sober folk without glass in themselves. One chap with his arm above his head was gradually painting the wall behind him an orangey red with the leak from his bandage. Nice.

We got the bikes sorted before anyone even got to hospital, natch 😉

Sandwich

I’m intrigued by the drunk oarsmen falling out of their sculls. Or should that have been skulls?

P20

One of my mates got his ear pierced when we were kids. Wandering around woolworths afterwards, he stated he felt faint. This was met by the usual derisory comments and we kept on walking, only to here an almighty clatter as he wiped out half the cd rack 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

their cardiac consultants and some of their high dependency nurses are shocking…

Could I have some examples of their HDU shockingness please, so I can tell my Mrs.

p7rich
    Free Member

Wherabouts? Stanmer? Wild Park?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Stanmer, he came off in ‘into the jungle’. First segment was ‘Stanmer A&E’ coincidentally enough! Luckily on the way out so not too far from the road.

aracer
    Free Member

Last time I fainted was during a first aid course 😳 All the other people on the course thought it was a test exercise. Unfortunately I hit my head on the door handle on the way down, so bloke in charge followed standard procedure and called an ambulance for a head injury – I don’t really remember anything before coming to in A&E. Still managed to finish the course.

captain-slow
    Free Member

IMHO the best bit of the NHS is the A&E service; have three sons who have all tested it more often than I would like. Oh, and I’ve checked it out myself a few times… 😳

notlocal
    Free Member

I spent some time in HDU after a car accident, and cannot fault the care I received. Some folk who complain about levels of care, should perhaps volunteer to help out in some of the busier wards. That may allow them to experience how easy the job is, and how little pressure pressure there is to perform with dwindling staff and equipment levels.

zippykona

Sitting outside a&e last night and the obligitary drunk walks up. He then somehow manages to walk into the automatic sliding door. There was such a whack that it took several moments for us to work out if it was acceptable to find it funny or not.
    He staggered off drawling the word fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck and then sat down moaning about it.
    Then we laughed.

zippykona

Sitting outside a&e last night and the obligitary drunk walks up. He then somehow manages to walk into the automatic sliding door. There was such a whack that it took several moments for us to work out if it was acceptable to find it funny or not.
    He staggered off drawling the word fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck and then sat down moaning about it.
    Then we laughed.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Emergency departments (new name they’re adapting) are an open aren’t they, takisawa2 that’s a great story. Right must finish getting ready off to work to visit such places.

I’ve noticed that new name – what is the point?

wwaswas

what is the point?

People assumed ‘Accident’ covered anything regardless of whether it needed looking at quickly or only a trip to the GP in a day or two.

Emergency implies much more of an urgent need for treatment/a more serious injury.

wisepranker
    Free Member

what is the point?

People assumed ‘Accident’ covered anything regardless of whether it needed looking at quickly or only a trip to the GP in a day or two.

Emergency implies much more of an urgent need for treatment/a more serious injury.

Hopefully it works better than it does on ambulances.
    For some reason most people seem to ignore the fact that is says ‘Emergency’ on the side when they are dialling 999 because they’ve stubbed their toe or sneezed.

kayak23

what is the point?

Presumably that’ll stop all those same folk who dial 999 EMERGENCY to report having a bit of a cough… 🙄

Drac

Like above it’s to try and emphasise the point that it should be for emergencies only and not something that can be seen elsewhere. We’re adapting the title too for the Ambulance service for the same reasons.

Let’s hope Kayak

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

I don’t think that’ll happen – it’ll take a generation of people to stop calling it A&E & given the intelligence of some people out there they’ll still phone an ambulance to help them find their keys.

Drac

It’s a step in the right direction though with that and and various trusts now publicising when to call ambulance or visit an Emergency unit we can only hope. Now just need to hope some GPs also take heed, too many of them now rely on us. Before I get flamed it’s not all I know.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Afraid to say it but the NHS in this country (or maybe it’s just my locality) is now frankly a joke. Most people dread A&E due to the 4-5 hour sat waiting (this seems regardless of the number of people also waiting). Or the 10 days wait to get an app to see the GP these days.

Terrible terrible service.

Drac

Really?

Well having just dropped someone off at the Emergency unit which was very quiet for once which is really rare, there was 2 Nurses and a Dr in the room straight away. Of course it helped the lady wasn’t very well so deemed a priority so didn’t have to go at the bottom of the queue.

Just because it looks quiet in the waiting room or cubicles does not mean it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

NHS is great here, no worries.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Would second that. Just because the waiting room is quiet doesn’t mean we are not busy in the resus areas. I’m an ae doc and I totally agree waiting times are a joke, 8 hours is not abnormal but behind the scenes we are often understaffed and working like stink. On a typical 12hr night shift I’m lucky to get ten minutes break. Overnight there are three ae doctors for the whole of Swansea and neath port Talbot!

wwaswas

the 10 days wait to get an app to see the GP these days

change GP.

never have to wait more than 48 hours to see mine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Last night in A&E’ is closed to new replies.