Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Last minute interview prep & tips ……
  • letmetalktomark

I have an interview today for a promotion opportunity at work albeit in a different area of the business.

I will be interview by people known to me – a panel of three with only one being involved in the area of business I am applying for.

The interview is 1hr 45 with the first 20m consisting of prepping for a presentation ( 10 minutes long ) that I will be given the details of when I arrive.

It’s been a while since I’ve interviewed and welcome any pre prep ( I still have time ) and tips.

🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Quick **** beforehand to calm the nerves.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Make sure you know everything you can about where the job is and what it entails, have some good questions to ask. Remember even if it’s people you know they are still interviewing you. Don’t rely on being mates.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

Sadly no love lost with two out of three 🙁

What constitutes a good interview question?

pealy
    Free Member

Be enthusiastic about the role. Make sure they think you rreally really want it.

And yes, have some good questions lined up which show that you’ve done your homework.

Good luck.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I have this article bookmarked for some ideas for interview questions:

5 interview questions link

binners

footflaps

I think Spud nails it.

FuzzyWuzzy

I found an internal promotion trickier than an external job one as I hate the whole ‘selling yourself’ thing anyway but it just seemed oddly fake doing it for an internal promotion (where the people interviewing knew me well and were aware I had a good track record etc.).
    So no real advice apart from treat it the same way as for an external role and don’t assume they are aware of your strengths and achievements.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

make sure you have some real world examples to evidence the competencies required on the job spec. if like me you go blank when it comes to thinking of examples on the spot, it’s worth spending a little while prepping relevant experience you can relate to each competency required (assuming their is a decent job / person spec).

when you’re giving them your answers, think of it as a little story – set out the situation, talk them through what needed to be achieved, explain how you achieved it and then discuss the result / impact

tinribz
    Free Member

Treat the interviewers with an enthusiastic attitude like they are old friends. They will be nervous too. Don’t make any assumptions about what they already know, they are obliged to score based on what you say solely in the interview. Your biggest strength is your application form, that got you the interview, repeat everything in it.

ste_t
    Free Member

I’m with thebrick on this one.

Not literally, that would be a tad awkward

DezB
    Free Member

The STAR interview technique is good if they’re likely to ask a scenario based question.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

plan ahead and don’t leave everything to the last min…errr… hold on, too late.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Last minute interview prep & tips ……’ is closed to new replies.