Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Last minute half marathon preparation
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Hi All

In a week and a half I will be running my first half marathon down in Brighton.

So far in my training I have run 7k about 100 times, 10k about 6 times, 8 miles once and then my longest run was 10 miles in 90 minutes 2 weeks ago.

What should I be doing this weekend to prepare? Should I get out there and try to run further than the 10 miles I have already done, or should i do another 8 miles and take it easy to build up for the event.

Also I just started getting blisters in the arch of my right foot where it doesn't even touch the floor???? I think this is the result of me running faster than I used to , would a good blister plaster cover me for this or is there anything else I can do.

Has anyone got any other last minute tips to make sure I am in peak condition on the day, any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

StuF

I'd go with an 8miler and take it easy – help your foot get better.

will
    Free Member

I did one last weekend, my training was doing naff all running a week and a half before…

One tip, which I should have done. Don't go off to quick, I did and hit "the wall" at 10 miles!

If you have been running then you'll be fine, what time you aiming for?

wwaswas

do an 8 mile run at 'race pace' then rest.

They've had to change the route as well due to cliff falss so bear in mind it might not be what you've practiced if you're following the usual route.

steve-g
    Free Member

Ok then an 8 miler it is, then for the next week i will just get out for short slow 5k runs just to keep the legs ticking over.

My target time is 2 hours, when I started training 3 months ago I smoked 20 a day, drank 5 days a week and had to stop and rest half way round my 3.5k circuit. Now I drink once a week, I dont smoke, and I've run 10 miles in 90 minutes so I could get close to my target time. I know its not a quick time but if I can do it it would represent a massive turnaround in my level of fitness

surfer
    Free Member

You wont get any fitter in the week in between but you may bugger it all up! A long run on the Sunday will add little value and would only be important if you were racing over the following weeks.

Make sure you are fresh so just very short easy runs and then no runs for 2 days leading up to the race.

surfer
    Free Member

I've run 10 miles in 90 minutes so I could get close to my target time

If you have done that in training then chances are you will beat it given the lift you will get on the day. Just pace yourself over the first 30 minutes.

cp

I'd do shorter stuff than 8 miles – maybe a 5 mile, near race pace, and do a one or two max much shorter, maybe 3 milers during the week, both of them at a variable pace – mainly averagely quick with a couple of 'speeders' – increasing speed for a minute or two, but not flat out.

you will not gain anything at this stage by doing long runs – that's already in the tank, you just need to keep your legs fresh by doing shorter, reasonably intense stuff.

you run the risk of over training and injury buy doing anything more now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well done to you matey for turning your fitness around like that.

And as surfer says, you'll be amazed at what you can do on the day. Pace yourself for the first 10k – this is really really important. Loads of people will go flying off and you'll be tempted to go off with them. Do you have a GPS watch you can use? If so, run your first five miles at your 8ish minute pace…and then go from there. You should find you can keep it up for the whole 13. Look for people around you running at that pace and use them as pacers (bearing in mind they might be using you too).

Be nice to people around you. Don't start right at the back of the field…the first few miles can be horrible as you slow down and speed up passing the real joggers. But don't start too far up the field either as it can get your spirits down as the whole field flies by. If you keep enough in the reserve for the first half, the second will feel good as you pass the runners who went off too quickly at the start.

Best of luck with it. I did my first one last year in Bristol and loved it. But, I actually went too slow at the beginning, then mad for another 6 then died in the last three. If you haven't run the 13 before, prepare to find the last three tough.

djglover
    Free Member

don't do 8 miles at race pace, that won't do any good IMO at this stage of training, do something mid distance and take it easy and do a short interval session, then take the following week off

surfer
    Free Member

But don't start too far up the field either as it can get your spirits down as the whole field flies by

I had an elite number for the North run a few years ago. Its scary looking at 18000 runners behind you as they fire the gun! all of whom want to get to the front to get on telly.
    I ran a quick first mile that day terrified of tripping over!!

steve-g
    Free Member

Ok then…

I was just going to line up with all the 2 hour targwt time people at the start, aim to do the first 10k in under an hour then hang on/push on for the second half.

The run is on Sunday the 21st so I have 10 days left, I did 7k Monday and yesterday, today and tomorrow are rest days. As per advice thwen I think I will do 9 or 10k Friday, then one or 2 short runs next week on maybe Monday and Wednesday then 3 days complete rest before the event

wwaswas

one thing I don't understand about all this runnign malarkey;

no one knows if their runnign in metric or imperial.

My wife has training plans from all different sources they all say things like;

6 mile run with 4*800m intervals + 2*200m hill reps.

she uses a garmin gps but it only does one or the other not both at the same time.

Why don't they just stick to the one unit of measurement?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd go out and do 18 miles, that way the 1/2 marathon will be simple.
    Death or Glory 🙂

colande
    Free Member

wouldn't worry too much now,
    i'd be taking it easy now,
    i find there is something about having really fresh legs on the day,
    the muscle memory is well and truly stored now,
    so you'll be fine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Last minute half marathon preparation’ is closed to new replies.