Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Last day at work…
  • tootallpaul

… then a week of frantic packing and storing everything I own, then I'm off to Ethiopia with VSO!

Probably not a lot of biking in store for the next couple of years, but a lot of adventures ahead…

Paul

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably not a lot of biking in store for the next couple of years

I dunno:

http://cycleactive.co.uk/mountain/africa/ethiopia.html

tootallpaul

Oh, I'm sure there is riding out there!

Its just I may not be able to take advantage of it as much as I would like.

Though hopefully I will be getting a bike out to me at some point- I'm boxing up the Inbred so one of my mates can bring it over when they visit.

I will be based in Awassa in the south, looking after the IT at the "Awassa College of Teacher Education" – its in the highlands, not far from the Bale mountains- looks stunning from the pictures I have seen…

rOcKeTdOg

take a supply of sterile needles, just in case!

tootallpaul

hehe- all supplied by the lovely folks at the VSO!

I have my own supply as well…

gonefishin
    Free Member

I've done that cycle active trip and whilst there wasn't much in the way of singletrack it was stunning. Cycling is also a great way of getting around. You will want to get up to the North of the country at some point to see the castles and churches around Gondar and Lalibela. I never got to Axum but it's supposed to be pretty special too.

Not that I'm jealous you understand!

takisawa2

Good luck!!!

tootallpaul

Gonefishin, Definately plan to head north at some point- my placement is for two years, and I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunuty to travel. Do you have pics online of your trip?

The south isn't as packed with historical sites as the north, but there are great oppportunities for seeing wildlife- the lake Awassa sits on has hippos and crocs, and amazing birds too.

As far as I understand I will probably have a bike supplied by my employer (Ethiopian Ministry of Education) for getting to and from the college.

gonefishin
    Free Member

paul I'll put some up this evening when I get home as I can't access everything I need at work.

Baldysquirt

I've spent nearly a year in Ethiopia over various trips and it's an amazing place. Having seen it both ways, it's infinitely more rewarding living there, than just visiting as a tourist. Many visitors find the Ethiopians seem quite agressive, and it can take a bit of time to get past this. Such warm and welcoming people, though, when you do.

If you can head into the Omo valley while you're there, then take the opportunity. I found it a bit strange, 'cos essentially just going to look at people, but they genuinely enjoy interacting with visitors, if you take the time to, and it's just so different from anything else you'll see.

I'm pretty jealous of you going. Despite the time I've spent there, there's still so much I want to see and do. I've had a lot of dealings with these guys http://www.linkethiopia.org/index.html including doing this http://www.gondarlink.org.uk/bike/index.shtml for them a few years back.

Good luck and enjoy.

tootallpaul

Many Thanks for the advice Baldysquirt – if you want to go back in the next couple of years, drop me an email!

iDave
    Free Member

<envy>

tootallpaul

Aw, tribalchief, don't be jealous!

I'll keep all out there in STW land up to date!

P

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Good Luck Paul. Wish I'd had the nuts to do something like this before the responsibilities of life took over.

gonefishin
    Free Member

My photos of Ethiopia. I should point out that my photography skills are really poor so they are more like holiday snaps than anything else.

http://gallery.me.com/patricknapier#100083

tootallpaul

Thanks gonefishin. They look great!

algarvebairn- its never too late. Many volunteer after the kids have left home for example. The oldest volunteer I have met was an amazing lady called Rhana- she was off to rural China for two years at the age of 78. 😯

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Dunno what the wife, kids, bank manager and business partners might say!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Last day at work…’ is closed to new replies.