Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Las Vegas (for bikers)
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Have a work trip coming up in early January to Vegas (not bad, I know I know!), but would like to get some biking in. Have a few days to play with. Any experience, thoughts or advice? 😀

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Have done the same myself, also in January – Desert around Vegas is amazing, bone dry, rocky, some great single track. I hired a bike and a guide from McGhies – was about $190 all in for day tour on my own + FS bike + guide + pick up. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them – rode out near Blue Diamond – amazing countryside!

http://mcghies.com

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yeah i once organised a days guided riding for a group of us on a stag do, looked quality but we never turned up… vegas happened.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superdan

I hired a car and drove out to Boulder (30 mins from North vegas) to ride in Bootleg Canyon for the day, when in a similar situation on a work trip. Epic dusty trails. The bike shop in Boulder were friendly, did hire (I spent the day on a mint GT enduro bike thing, a Sanction? – they even swapped the brakes over to “Moto style”), though I took kit/helmet/kneepads to ride in. It is HOT and DRY though, I burned through my water really quick (went last Feb, so riding Whinlatter on the Friday in the snow, then Monday in a desert was a bit of a shock to the body). Take a bag, take more liquid than you expect.

scuttler

What Superdan said. Bike shop is All Mountain Cycles (Spec Enduro for me, brakes swapped, took pedals and all riding gear) and they run a very informal uplift on a weekend. It’s rocky and pointy so take pads if you have em, and there’s a tap at the bottom of the marked trails so you can fill up (see http://allmountaincyclery.com/images/stories/rental-bikes/BootlegCanyonMap.png ) – disclaimer, I don’t know how reliable the tap is but it worked when we were there last month and it’s recent.

Also it’s about 5 miles from the Hoover Dam which is a must see.

EDIT – the uplift serves the XC and DH trails and given the potential for it to be warm, makes it well worth you scheduling your plans for weekend biking.

saxabar
    Free Member

Great advice folk, keep it coming. Totally forgot Boulder was so close by. Will be meeting up with a friend coming over Cal who knows the area fairly well so a bit of exploration not out of the question. Temps don’t look too bad for Jan, but point noted on whether to take 2 or 3ltr bladder. McGhies link noted too.

I haven’t drunk for years and haven’t even been in a betting shop. If Vegas “happens”, it’ll be messy!

scuttler

That Boulder is Boulder City, not Boulder Colorado which is flippin miles away (780 according to Google). Of course in Jan skiing up in Utah is an option (3.5 hours drive), or further afield on a plane.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Las Vegas (for bikers)’ is closed to new replies.