Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Largest tyre on a 17mm rim
  • Xylene
    Free Member

What is the largest tyre I can run on my 17mm rim? I've got a 2.1 on there just now, but with the wet weather coming in, I'm looking for tyres that clear the mud better and are maybe a bit larger just to look good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Narrower tyres clean mud better!

Xylene
    Free Member

Narrower tyres clean mud better!

I'm a bit portly though. I was eyeing up some 1.7 mud tyres, but I might end up with oval wheels

Northwind

It may vary from rim to rim, Mavic rate the 717 for up to 2.3, I happily ran 2.35 Nevegals (which are, weirdly enough for tyres, the size they claim to be) without any problems. Then fitted wider rims and can't really feel much difference at all.

(The Mavic website says 2.1 only for the 717 but the wheel stickers say 2.3)

But still, fat tyres don't mix that well with mud. At least, not til you get huge and they start to "float". Cutters work better.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You'll want a 2" Mud X for winter. Cuts through the mud n sheds it well too.

MrOvershoot

futon river crossing – Member

You'll want a 2" Mud X for winter. Cuts through the mud n sheds it well too.
    +1 TBH Mud X are fantastic tyres & work nearly all year round as for some strange reason they roll well in dry conditions!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Largest tyre on a 17mm rim’ is closed to new replies.