Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Larger kids trailer, does it exist?
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

My nephew has Muscular Dystrophy and cannot pedal a bike. He is now too big to sit comfortably in the bike trailer for any distance. Does anyone know of a trailer suitable for larger kids. He is aged 7.

I have considered a tag-along but I think he would get tired very quickly just holding on even if he wasn’t pedalling.

Is there a solution out there that I’m overlooking?

wwaswas

does it have to be a trailer based solution, there’s quite a lot of this style of bike available.

DrP

I’d second the above suggestions – have a google of ‘cargo bikes’ and see what takes your fancy.
    With MD, he’ll probably do better with a system he can sit down and be supported in?

DrP

midlifecrashes

Have a poke about the Mission Cycles webpage.
    http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/

We had a Phillips Cleveland trailer which certainly had the capacity, but might need the seat/belts adapting.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Great thanks. No it doesn’t need to be a trailer at all. DrP something he can sit in would definitely be a better option, unfortunately his movement range will get worse in the not to distant future.

@wwwas – what is the bike in the bottom pic?

wwaswas

tbh, I just picked a few images off google, but a bit of further searching brings up;

http://www.urbanarrow.com/en

It also has electric assist which might be of use when he gets older.

you may wabt to consider somethign that can be adapted into a platform that could take a wheelchair as he gets heavier and less mobile, though?

this appears to offer a decouplable wheelchair as a part of the package; http://www.frankmobility.com/duetfeat.php

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Funny enough I do. I’m just sorting one out for my Disabled 9 year old. I’ll prefix this with its not overly cheap, but I think I am going with these.

Wike Bikes

I’ve spent a good couple of months finding the right one and it looks pretty good. They are in the States but have found them very helpful. If your in no rush I should be ordering in this week and they say I should get it in another. so I can give you more details.

As Tom is getting bigger I’m also considering a bike with one of these, so more family members can toe him

Electric assist

bencooper
    Free Member

A slightly modified R&M Load might be worth looking at – it’s also got electric assist to help with the weight. Cheesy pic:

Tracker1972
    Free Member

How about a Hase Pino? Recumbent seat for the nephew, lots of disability adaptations available… Also not cheap but might fit…

nimo
    Free Member

I Used to use a Kimba trailer for my disabled son, again not cheap but very good if he needs a lot of support to sit as the chair part can be changed . I think a modified cargo bake would probably be the best bet. good luck.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty to contemplate.

Jon I’d be grateful if you would let me know how you get on with the Wike trailer, thanks

cbike
    Free Member

The Circe morpheus is another in the Hase Pino style. and much cheaper.

Hase also do recumbent and towable trikes.

downshep

Lug my 6 year old (learning difficulties) around on a Kona Ute. Got a decent kiddy seat with chest strap, stoker bar and BMX stunt pegs for her feet. Safe, comfy and keeps her happy as Larry. Will be fit for purpose for many years to come.

mugsys_m8

Christiania Bikes?

Or other similar Copenhagen originating companies?
    Maybe à cheeky trip there looking round the bike shops is in order?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Larger kids trailer, does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.