Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Larger diameter wheels in a 26" wheel frame…..
  • redx

Right then, am looking to try and get some road miles in once the young lad (9 months) has gone to bed. Currently have some slicks fitted to an old rigid MTB, but with the slicks, the wheel diameter comes out fairly small.

I was thinking of getting something like the Mavic Speed City wheels (700c rims on an MTB hub) which means I could run a fairly fast tyre which is fairly large diameter, but don’t really want to spend that kind of money. Could I get a pair of 29” wheels from On-One, (or get some 29” rims built onto an old pair of hubs) and find some slicks for those? Thinking 29” wheels with a 1” slick won’t be much bigger in diameter than a 26” wheel with a 2.25” knobbly, or am wrong assuming that…

Bike has disc brakes so no worries about braking.

Cheers,

Alex

letmetalktomark

I run 700c/29'' wheels in one of my 26'' std wheel frames. Plenty of clearance up to 34mm tyres.

Much faster than 26'' wheels with slicks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get 700c road wheels (same dia as 29er but narrower for road tyres).

Not much point though IMO as they won't be significantly faster (bar 10% higher top gear) nor give any training benefit over 26".

redx

Not really bothered about speed, just think it may be a bit more comfortable over the potholes…..

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Not really bothered about speed, just think it may be a bit more comfortable over the potholes…..

Thinking 29” wheels with a 1” slick won’t be much bigger in diameter than a 26” wheel with a 2.25” knobbly, or am wrong assuming that…

In that case your 2.25" 26" tyres will be more comfy by virtue of the larger volume – that'll have way more effect than the wheel size – but they obviously won't roll as well as the 1" slicks.

ampthill

Or fit really fat road tyres. Say scwalbe big apples. In the end you should acxhieve the same diameter with more air for comfort

nuke

I have a 16" On-One 26er, I have some On-One 29er wheels, I have some Conty City Contact tyres (…from On-One!) and can confirm the wheels fit fine. 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

As Bristolbike says, will be less comfortable over the potholes. Tyres give, wheels don't.

Chunky 26" slicks are the way. Maybe Schwalbe Supremes? Or something cheaper.

zaskar
    Free Member

Was thinking the same but how much difference in speed?

10% you say? I guess you're still upright and not as aero as a roadie.

redx

Cheers gents, some food for thought there. Really like the look of your bike Mark….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Larger diameter wheels in a 26" wheel frame…..’ is closed to new replies.