Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Large volume 26er tyres?
  • bowglie

Having been 29er only for a while, I’m think of getting a budget 26er to muck around on. My idea is to get a bike with a low BB and then run some large (tall) tyres to takes the edges off things a bit – a ghetto 650b if you like 😆

FWIR, Conti Rubber Queens used to come up big, but I was never 100% with them. Hans Dampfs 29 x 2.35 come up big, so guess they’d be a decent volume in 26, but I really prefer something with a squarer profile with positive edge for the front tyre – can anyone recommend an alternative please?

p.s. Anyone know how the latest Magic Mary 26 shape up?

chakaping
    Free Member

Schwalbes were the biggest 26in tyres I had, the 2.5s were enormous.

Chunky Monkey 2.4in is a decent cheap option. I have a couple in the garage if you’re interested actually.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Maxxis HR2 2.4

deviant
    Free Member

p.s. Anyone know how the latest Magic Mary 26 shape up?

I bought the 2.35 version at the weekend to replace the 2.5 Dirty Dan i’d been using on the front through the worst of the winter slop…the Magic Mary comes up like a Maxxis 2.5 and has that square profile you’re loking for.

I like it.

Also intrigued by the new Minion DHR-2 but havent tried that yet, it also has what looks to be a very square profile and (from pics alone) looks like it could double up as a decnt mixed conditions/intermediate type of tyre for most of winter.

Clobber
    Free Member

maxxis advantage or ardents in 2.4 are big!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2.4 Maxxis stuff is big so is Scwalbe 2.35 both are bigger than Continental 2.4 TKs/RQs.

The CM has quite a shallow tread compared to DHF or DHR II so not so good in proper mud but it has crazy levels of grip over things like roots and rocks.

bowglie

Ah, thanks for the feedback. The Magic Mary sounds like a right whopper!….very promising.

I’d forgotten about the Ardent & Advantage 2.4’s – though, FWIR or previous experiences, I’d be more incline to stick them on the rear.
    I’ve had a rummage around my garage and found a pair of DHF 2.35’s – I really like these tyres, but again, FWIR, they come up on the small side for a 2.35, so might be a bit small for my ghetto 650b idea(?).

p.s. has anyone else tried a ‘big tyred’ 26er and ‘normal’ volume tyred 650b? I tried a couple of 650b’s at a demo day a few months back and couldn’t tell any difference to my old 26er!

creamegg
    Free Member

2.4 Maxxis stuff is big

I don’t know if all Maxxis 2.4 tyres are sized similarly but my mates 2.4 HR2 is tiny compared to my 2.35 Hans Dampfs. They looked closer to 2.2’s.

Got some Magic Marys on the way too and will stick them on for the weekend if they arrive in time

Painey
    Free Member

I put my 26″ Full Suss with Hans Dampfs on it next to a friends Carbine 27.5 and there was next to no difference in overall diameter at all. Don’t know exactly what tyres he had on it but looked standard size to me.

bowglie

Hey creamegg, thanks for the info. My wife’s bike has a 29er High Roller II 2.35 on it, and that’s definitely smaller than the HD 29×2.35 on my bike.

I put my 26″ Full Suss with Hans Dampfs on it next to a friends Carbine 27.5 and there was next to no difference in overall diameter at all. Don’t know exactly what tyres he had on it but looked standard size to me.

I did wonder if that’d be the case – good to know other peoples experience, especially as it reinforces my case to buy another bike!

er….I’m waiting for someone to mention the advantage of sticking HD’s on a 650b (I’ve got a bucket of sand ready to stick my head in! 😀 )

jonathan
    Free Member

I can confirm that 26″ 2.4 Ardents are big and good (IMO)

rocketman
    Free Member

2.5 Minions are 2.5″ tall but not that wide

2.4 Schwalbes tend to be big units

Big-M
    Free Member

HD’s are nice and wide, Spesh Butcher as a front, just make sure you’re running nice wide rims 🙂

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Hard to believe maxxis and schwalbe 2.4 are bigger than the conti rubber queen. conti’s looked so big they looked comical a couple of years ago

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I found a pretty much unused nokian gazzaloddi the other day- let me know if you fancy it-26 x 3

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey 2.4in is a decent cheap option. I have a couple in the garage if you’re interested actually.

How much do you want and where are you based?
    My new bike isn’t going to be ready for first race of the season so probably going to be on a loaned 26er and need suitable rubber for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Large volume 26er tyres?’ is closed to new replies.