Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Large tree fallen down, advise
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

So a rather large oak tree has fallen into our garden from outside our boundary, taking out the fence, guttering and a couple of roof tiles.

our insurance lapsed a couple of weeks ago, I was searching out someone to replace m&s with but had forgotten to actually finalise it all, so can’t phone them for legal advice.

The tree is also blocking a council owned footpath, but we’re not sure who actually owns the land where the tree was.

As its storm damage are we basically screwed and will have to stump up for its removal and fixing the damage that’s been caused? And what about the path?

Drac

Removal is easy log burner owners will fight over taking away a fallen oak tree.

The rest I’m not sure on good luck with it all though.

CountZero

Theres a few on here would be drawing straws to see who gets to attack it with a chainsaw. Oak’s valuable timber, so it won’t go to waste. As to covering your damage, the responsibility, I would have thought, lies with the landowner who’s land the tree grew on. Possibly council? Anyway, the council will be along sharpish to clear the footpath, it might be worth speaking to the council to see if they can clear the rest from your property while they’re at it. Good luck, sounds like you got away pretty lightly.
    The wind’s taken out the fence between us and next door, just snapped a post clean off; I tried to stop it but the wind just ripped it out of my hands. More expense at Christmas, bugger. 😡

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ill start. Where are you?

PS. whack an ad on gumtree

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks, I was hoping we might be able to get the council involved.

Failing that we’re . In Tadley Hampshire/Berkshire border if anyone is local with a chain saw…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sod the tree, get some insurance asap!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Insurance was done 10 minutes after the tree falling, so covered for the future, 15 years we’ve had insurance and never claimed, typical that this happens when we have a couple of weeks gap, live and learn I guess.

Winds died down so felt it was safe enough that one of the other trees wasn’t going to squash me, so here’s a couple of pis:

View from backdoor:

View from Alley (front)

Back garden:

View from Alley (Rear):

andyl
    Free Member

1st – get some insurance ASAP before anything else happens.

2nd – I believe the tree belongs to whoever owns the land it stood on. Contact the council and find out who actually owns the land as they should be the ones who decide what to do with the tree and it’s remains and I would have thought they would be the ones who have to pay for the damage it caused.

On the plus side if it’s a big tree then the wood value could cover the cost of the repairs

allthepies
    Free Member

If it’s on council owned land [and the tree wasn’t obviously dangerous i.e. half dead, leaning etc prior to the winds] then you may well find yourself forking out. Lack of buildings insurance is a hard lesson learnt I guess.

ski
    Free Member

Hmmmm, oak, someone might just make a profit if you have the time and space to cut and store 😉

ski
    Free Member

If it is a council tree and they start to drag their feet (don’t think they will) ask them for the written report for when it was last inspected, our local Tree inspector has not got off his arse for the last two years!!! 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s impressive !

Can you ring the Daily Mail, get them to come round and interview you to say how middle classly out raged you are that a tree blew over, pose for a picture pulling a grumpy face, and pocket lots of money? 😆

Seriously though I would definitely get in touch with the council, and at least see what they say. Did the tree fall from a public path/road?

I would imagine that if you get a tree surgeon involved they will want to have first dibs on the wood, and that doesn’t look cheap to remove!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Updated, wife has been on the phone to the council and they’re putting it through as a priorty as its a house strike, blocking the path and being supported so classed as unstable. Although quite a few trees seem to be down locally so guess the roads will be looked after first.

Some daylight pics:

From the utility room roof

Path:

Drac

Did you dance your M&S insurance if you pay by DD they auto-renew.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What dance for insurance policies?

bearnecessities

The Foxtrot Oscar?

sharkbait
    Free Member

For future reference, check your policy as ours does not cover fencing/hedging/gates. Get the owners of the tree to cough up – roofing repair will probably cost little.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Tadley? Hmmmm where’s the chainsaw…..

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Updated: Owner of the land is going to get a Tree surgeon to come and sort it out, so good news on that front.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Treemendous news

wysiwyg
    Free Member

At least you didnt have to bark at him to get a result.

Got straight to the root of the problem.

As long as they dont leave a mess..

Yew wood be advised to keep the logs.

psling
    Free Member

I see someone’s full of joaks this morning 😀

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’m not going to Willow in self pity about it all…

onehundredthidiot

Oak-ay ending to that story.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Bet thats a releaf. Looks like it could be a real beech to cut up.

Thats not the kind of yule log you had in mind.

Thankyou im hear all day..*

*actually im just off out to cut up some wood. These tree puns have got me in the mood. Gonna log.. off now

MoreCashThanDash

Hate to put a downer on things but you will need to be able to show that the tree owner was negligent for him to be legally liable for damage to your property. Not easy with a storm unless there was an obvious problem with the tree beforehand.

He might just be a decent bloke and help you anyway.

leffeboy

Advice: get a large pot of tea on as mcmoonter will already be on his way to yours as we speak

mrchrispy

that wouldnt have even had chance to hit the groud round here, there would have chainsaws and guardians everywhere as the burner lot decended on it!!!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Couple of guys currently getting busy with chainsaws, sent by the land owner. Very happy, will bodge the fence together once they’re done although I’ve just cracked a beer open so it might not be pretty…

bearnecessities

will bodge the fence together once they’re done although I’ve just cracked a beer open so it might not be pretty

We need pictures of drunken fence effort; extra points for use of electrical tape & zip ties.

CountZero

SS, glad it’s being sorted, and at little or no cost to yourself! Happy Christmas!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Large tree fallen down, advise’ is closed to new replies.