Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Large squash court? what sport?
  • sam_underhill

Whilst waiting for the Mrs to finish her Dirt Divas mtb skills course I noticed behind the bar was an indoor court that looked like a squash court but 2 to 3 times the size. What sport is this? This was the sports centre attached to a really posh school and I'm not from a rich enough background to even know what the sport is, let alone play it!!!

johnners
    Free Member

Pelotte?

johnners
    Free Member

If it's "posh" school (or a pretentious one) it could be Fives – more likely than Pelotte probably.

scaredypants

surprised to see one at a school – that's a tournament dogging venue

should have 2-3 parking bays marked out, plus a free-standing area

judges sit pretty much where you were by the sound of things

tankslapper
    Free Member

Hand ball court?

johnners
    Free Member

that's a tournament dogging venue

It's not Tournament unless there's plenty of bush cover.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

If i the UK it was probably a Real Tennis court if in Spain then Perlotta as before.Real Tennis is the fore-runner to the normal version and courts are to be found attached to Public Schools and mainly in the Home Counties, if you think normal tennis is elitist………

Muke
    Free Member

Rackets court ?

slimtubing
    Free Member

I went to a boarding school about 10 miles from Kendal in the early eighties and we had an outdoor Fives court, its a fun game and it certainly toughens your hands up. Sounds like one of them.

sam_underhill

Muke wins. google images showed me pictures of what I'd seen. It was a Rackets court.

scaredypants

it's not Tournament unless there's plenty of bush cover.

there's even an international standard for that !

Stoner
    Free Member

yep it's rackets (Stoner, went to a posh skool 😉 )

I think grays of cambridge are the only people to still make the rackets – theyre relatively heavy but the ball is made of cork wrapped in silk, and it's f***** fast. The ball travels exceptionally quickly – its the second fastest ball sport in the world.

We also had fives courts (both rugby and eton fives courts – different shapes) – really hurts your hands.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would have thought the Rackets court was where they'd prepare the future bankers for a life in the city…:-).
    Incidentally, what IS the fastest ball sport then? A discussing without google or wiki would be fun…but only because I'm on a mobile.

scaredypants

fastest is that south american thing with the slings ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fastest ball sport is Pelota.

Rackets is superb, as is Eton Fives. The Rugby variant less so.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Good question DD.

A Rodic serve is pretty damn fast. Does badminton count? Shuttle cocks go pretty damned quick as you hit it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As flashy says – pelota is the fastest – frighteningly so

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'd heard it was pelota too. Isn't it also called jai alai or something like that? What about the speed of a golf ball when it leaves the tee after Tigger hits it?

Is Eton Fives just like handball?

I, of course, played the fastest field sport for many years.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fastest field sport, Darcy? Must be going after woodcock or snipe.

Damned fast birds!

Eton Fives is like squash, played with hands not racquets, against a crennellated court.

Still invented by a Windsor comnp, though! 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Large squash court? what sport?’ is closed to new replies.