Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Large, low-flying plane last night……
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Stopped for a swig of water at the top of Soyland last night and an enormous grey plane came rumbling down the Ryburn Valley. Not a plane spotter, so not sure what it was. It was very big and flew pretty low all the way down the valley from Triangle over Ripponden towards the M62 (looked to fly straight over the little house on the prairie – between junctions 22 &23).
    Anybody else see it/identify it….tell me I didn’t imagine it!

IanMunro
    Free Member

C17?

BFITH
    Free Member

Possibly… My eyes arent what they used to be and the video i took on my phone is far to shoddy (should have zoomed in!)

stevied
    Free Member

Baby Robin, much closer than you thought?

BFITH
    Free Member

I would have spotted the red underside…I’m sure…. 😉

somouk
    Free Member

Doubt it would be a C17 doing low flying. More likely to be a Herc practising low flying.

BFITH
    Free Member

Yep…that looks more like it…A Hercules…. 🙂

dannybgoode

Hercules are gangster aircraft – always enjoy seeing one in flight.

And to think they’ve been in service in one guise or another for nearly 60 years! Crackers.

The B52 has also been in service for 60 odd years and with a service life projected to the 2040’s will have been in service for coming on for 100 years!

Cheers

Danny B

jaylittle
    Free Member

saw what was probably the same plane yesterday afternoon. from where i was it looked to be over saddleworth moor area.

andyl
    Free Member

If it had props then it could be a C-130 (could be an A-400M if they are testing any up there) or if it had turbofans then the C-17 as above.

Often see them doing low level passes down along the M4 and have had them go right over me a few times near Bristol Airport as they and the C-130s seem to use Bristol on a flight path for some reason. The C-17 looks like it’s going to drop out of the sky as it’s flying so low and slow.

Best was getting buzzed by a spectre gunship on the Mendips though 😀

Flown over Darley Dale (near Matlock) twice in the past few days

CountZero

Often see them doing low level passes down along the M4 and have had them go right over me a few times near Bristol Airport as they and the C-130s seem to use Bristol on a flight path for some reason. The C-17 looks like it’s going to drop out of the sky as it’s flying so low and slow.

Hercs are based up at Brize Norton now, instead of Lyneham, but you still see them flitting around Bath and Bristol, mainly because they’ll be doing drops of men and equipment on Salisbury Plain, and they also do practice drops at Keevil, not far from Westbury, so they’ll be doing big circles back around to Brize, possibly doing navigation checks, too.
    ‘Circuits and bumps’ was the usual thing in Chippenham, where you’d have the planes going round and round in circles practicing landings and rolling take-offs.
    It was even more fun watching the Hercs practicing Khesahn Drops; a 70 ton aircraft stoogeing in at about 1000ft, then suddenly the nose drops vertically and the plane just falls out of the sky! Heart-stopping, that.

mikertroid
    Free Member

sbd16v
    Free Member

Hercules are gangster aircraft – always enjoy seeing one in flight.

horrible to be in LOL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Large, low-flying plane last night……’ is closed to new replies.